Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Battery advice - should i replace today?

Options
  • 23-12-2010 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Ok, need advice.

Our car is parked in the apartment underground carpack for the last few weeks. It hasn't been out at all but we're driving from Dublin to wife's family in Monaghan today. So I took it out last night to get fuel and prepare it.

Anyway, cut a long story short. I half parked it in the carpark, popped the bonnet and left the lights on (with engine off) while I put the windscreen fluid in the tank. Took around 60-80 seconds.

But it killed the battery. Luckily, was able to get a jump start almost straight away. Took it on an hour long tour of Dublin last night and was able to start it as normal twice.

It also started as normal this morning.

Is the battery bonked? Was it just an issue related to non use or should I just stump up and get a new one before travelling today?

It's only ever needed to be jump started once before - last summer when I feel asleep in the car with the radio on waiting for the soon to be Mrs come out of fake tan appointment.

ps. car is an 02 Astra 1.4 petrol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

'd say the battery is ok if it started the next morning. If your in doubt, bring your car to any tyre/battery centre and they can check the battery.

I'd say it was just the cold and lack of use that caused the battery to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Wouldn't change just yet, sounds the cold affected the battery because of non use for "prolonged" time. As previous poster said you could always get it tested first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

The run to Monaghan will do it good. afaik, batteries running on long cycles like that don't last as long as regularly used/charged batteries.

Advertisement