Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to replace my runners?

• 23-12-2010 9:36am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So last March I bought myself a pair of Nike Lunarglide +, based on my own gait analysis these appeared suitable and were within my price range for the price I got them for.

So fast forward about 10 months later and 763km under my feet with these runners and I've found I recently started to get pains in the area connected to my big toe, this started in one foot and now is happening in the second.

In addition I appear to be now getting very mild shin splints.

Perhaps I've changed my gait and I need to recheck this or my runners need replacing, any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Cabaal wrote: »
    So last March I bought myself a pair of Nike Lunarglide +, based on my own gait analysis these appeared suitable and were within my price range for the price I got them for.

So fast forward about 10 months later and 763km under my feet with these runners and I've found I recently started to get pains in the area connected to my big toe, this started in one foot and now is happening in the second.

In addition I appear to be now getting very mild shin splints.

Perhaps I've changed my gait and I need to recheck this or my runners need replacing, any suggestions?

763 km is not excessive but I always replace my runners when I start getting niggles like that, so I'd be inclined to go shopping if I were you. You should be able to pick up a new pair cheaply in the sales.

I doubt you gait would have changed a lot over 750 km, though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What is considered the norm millage for replacing runners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

About 500 miles, but that's only an estimate. It also depends on your weight, and I suppose the surface you run on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

RayCun wrote: »
    About 500 miles, but that's only an estimate. It also depends on your weight, and I suppose the surface you run on

For me its 99% tarmac and I'm coming in about 90kg so suppose time to replace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

what was your gait like back then as the lunargide kinda sit in the neutral/mild over pronator category.
    did you like wearing them and what was your previous pair?
    i would get my gait checked again just to make sure.
    is your shin pain on the inside or out?
    maybe ease back on the miles till it feels better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Interestingly had a chat about this with the physio last night. I'm still trying to shift an injury from DCM and wondered if I needed to get a new pair of shoes. He mentioned that there was some evidence to show that the more often you changed your shoes the more likely you were to get injured. The reason being that shoes mould themselves to your gait and this takes some time, during the period when the shoe is changing shape you are more at risk of injury as your foot fights the shoe. Don't know if it's true but it's an interesting theory.

Advertisement