Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N64: Dead!?!

• 23-12-2010 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

So I was looking forward to getting home and digging out the ol' N64 and having a nostalgic Christmas - go to turn on the console, and the power led doesn't come on. "Hmmm, that's strange" I thought to myself. Gave it another go. Nothing! Google the problem - seems like it's basically dead, or perhaps the power supply has tripped and needs to be reset? I suspect the former though, it is 13 this christmas, and in console years that must be about 80. Any idea if it's worth trying to pick up a new power supply, or am I looking for an entire new machine? Also - how much do they go for? Does RAGE in Dublin stock any n64 parts? Thanks in advance :|

/Looks at Space Station Silicon Valley cart and sighs...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Very unusual, I'd be very surprised if there's a fault with it. Could it be the fuse in the plug on the power supply?

If N64's are dying @ the elderly age of 13...dear god the horrors of the modern era of consoles don't even bear thinking about...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh dear, perhaps the random Japanese cart in my bag won't be of much use to you :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I checked the fuse, looks fine. Did the "blow on the contacts" trick for the laugh, didn't work. There's literally zero activity when I switch it to ON. Not quite sure what to make of it - but as I said, I have a feeling it's pretty much dead as there are no obvious clues as to what the problem is.
    Is there anything else worth trying before I resign myself to getting a new one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Daddio wrote: »
    I checked the fuse, looks fine. Did the "blow on the contacts" trick for the laugh, didn't work. There's literally zero activity when I switch it to ON. Not quite sure what to make of it - but as I said, I have a feeling it's pretty much dead as there are no obvious clues as to what the problem is.
    Is there anything else worth trying before I resign myself to getting a new one?

You won't be able to tell if the fuse is fine just by looking at it, unless it's one of those clear ones? Put a replacement in to eliminate it. Do you have a multimeter to see if there's power coming out of the psu at all?

Oh dear, perhaps the random Japanese cart in my bag won't be of much use to you :pac:
    Heh, nah I'm definitely going to pick another one up. What game is it actually, or is it possible to tell? :D I think I know somebody who has one lying around, might try to borrow it for the christmas holidays at least.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Daddio wrote: »
    Heh, nah I'm definitely going to pick another one up. What game is it actually, or is it possible to tell? :D I think I know somebody who has one lying around, might try to borrow it for the christmas holidays at least.

Unfortunately I had nowt but my last 500 yen to spend, ten minutes, and I only found one game I recognised. It's not of Japanese origin and I realised later it might require an expansion pack, that should lead you to the game. Hopefully you'll have a working machine by the next time I see you (whenever that will be :pac:)

Also Holla if your mystery package ever arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Probability wise, old broken console problems usually go in this order -

Dead plug fuse -> dead psu -> dead console.

I'd be very suprised if the n64 itself was broken.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Probability wise, old broken console problems usually go in this order -

Dead plug fuse -> dead psu -> dead console.

I'd be very suprised if the n64 itself was broken.
    Cheers, I'll replace the fuse and see what happens. :)

Ok, it's not the fuse, I'll try and get a PSU off a someone I know and see if that works, but that won't be until tomorrow.

Don't know what else could be wrong with it. :pac:
    84358254.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1293106471&Signature=M2JRvYM8slFPTNkxwdQCqAcKAfs%3D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Did you try turning it on without a cartridge in the slot to see if the light turns on?

• Advertisement

Did you try turning it on with Goldeneye in the slot?

Because if you did it's probably telling you to play something better instead.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

HAHAHAHA

'I refuse to power on for this game'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lol, actually had trouble getting Goldeneye and Perfect Dark running. I need some rubbing alcohol forthe connectors I think.

Antway sometimes the N64 won't power on if the connection with the cartridge isn't good so try it without a cartridge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Rage have a couple of shelves of N64's, why not just treat yourself to one of those?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Rage have a couple of shelves of N64's, why not just treat yourself to one of those?
    Thinking about it - how much do they sell for? :D
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    Antway sometimes the N64 won't power on if the connection with the cartridge isn't good so try it without a cartridge.
    Tried both, doesn't work in either case :( Pretty sure it's dead. Just need to decide whether to bury or cremate it at this stage.
    Did you try turning it on with Goldeneye in the slot?
    Get off teh interwebz and enjoy New Zealand! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't know how much they are, but they have a few, including a nice two tone translucent one.
    Shouldn't be any more than 30 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

hey i'm just reading this now, i had a lot of N64 drama this year and it ended up with me having 2 working control decks. If your in town tomorrow send me pm.

Especially since RAGE is now under a couple of feet of water :(

Figured out the problem - it was the power supply, not quite sure exactly what it was that went wrong with it though. Anyway I picked one up from RAGE the other day for 30. Decent selection of N64 stuff too.

Awful about the water damage to the shop though :(

Advertisement