Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural Survey Cost?

Options
  • 23-12-2010 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

This may be a silly question... does the price of a structural survey vary with size of house? We got a quote for one for 600€ (plus VAT) from a company the were recommended by friends. I thought it would be in the region of 400€. The house is just over 200 squared meters. Does 600€ sounds reasonable?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is huge,so sounds ok to me.
    We paid a little less last year but our house is about 150 sq metres.
    I think.
    It is so worth getting done though as their were a few issues with our house and that gave us bargaining power.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tevion

I got it done for 300 euro cash, house is a standard 3 bed semi detached, 1100 sq ft.
    Maybe ring for a few more quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

€300 is about right for a 200m house, 600 is a huge price

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Thanks for the feedback. Got another quote for 450€ ex VAT so I am shopping around. Find it hard to believe that you could get a survey done for a 300€ for that size to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Minier81 wrote: »
    This may be a silly question... does the price of a structural survey vary with size of house? We got a quote for one for 600€ (plus VAT) from a company the were recommended by friends. I thought it would be in the region of 400€. The house is just over 200 squared meters. Does 600€ sounds reasonable?

Thats very expensive. I paid €200 for survey and valuation (with a bit of haggling) in Dublin city centre last year. Shop around and bargain hard with everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not every house is the same. A 100 year old house is likely to have more issues than a 10 year old one. a new house is also likely to have more issues and variables than the 10 year old one, as it won't have settled in fully yet.

The survey done by a surveyor or valuer isn't going to be the same one done by an engineer and getting 2 in 1 will typically get a 30-50% discount.

Then you have to consider how busy the person is, what their skills, cost base and expectations are.

Of course, someone could give you a 5 euro report, but it would be limited to looking at google streetview and sending you an invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Victor wrote: »
    No every house is the same. A 100 year old house is likely to have more issues than a 10 year old one. a new house is also likely to have more issues and variables than the 10 year old one, as it won't have settled in fully yet.

The survey done by a surveyor or valuer isn't going to be the same one done by an engineer and getting 2 in 1 will typically get a 50% discount.

Then you have to consider how busy the person is, what their skills, cost base and expectations are.

Of course, someone could give you a 5 euro report, but it would be limited to looking at google streetview and sending you an invoice.

True, but assuming the house is of standard construction then €600 is expensive. I rang a number of surveyors last year and none of them there anywhere near €600.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

irishguy wrote: »
    Thats very expensive. I paid €200 for survey and valuation (with a bit of haggling) in Dublin city centre last year. Shop around and bargain hard with everyone.
    That is normal for a survey,a structural survey is alot more expensive.
    I missed the 1st price was ex vat ,ex vat it was high the new quote sounds more reasonable.

Advertisement