Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedtime for 18 month old

Options
  • 23-12-2010 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi all,

Baby rylie has been going to bed at 7pm since he was a tot, he's wrecked by that time and usually nods off after chatting to himself for 10-15 mins. The problem is he's waking anywhere between 5.30 and 6.30am.

Just wondering what time you guys put your LO's to bed in the evening? Would keeping him up till 8pm make a difference?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My 24 month old goes to bed at 8pm, but she's a terrible sleeper and still wakes up in the night etc... She can be up anywhere between 4-8am....

There's no gaurantee's that pushing back the hour will make them sleep longer, is he cold in the morning? Does the heat come on on a timer?

How long does he nap in the day time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

Thanks for the reply Adrieanne x

He's a rubbish napper, he might have one nap of 1-1.5hrs in creche, less on weekends cos he's terrified of missing out on something! He never was much of a napper, even when he was a tiny baby he never settled into a good nap routine and to be honest we didn't push it because he was sleeping through the night at 16 weeks.

He's had a bad few months sleep wise, teething, colds etc and he's only just settled back to decent sleeps this week- except for the 5.30am starts!

I've a heater timed to come on at various stages during the night- it's definitely not the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Our wee fella, 19 months goes to bed at 7 at the earliest, usually half 7 or so.
    He wakes up every morning usually at about half 6, sometimes 6 or even half 5, very rarely 7.

Keeping him up til 8 might make a difference but he'd probably keep waking up early for a good while until he adjusts. Probably better to do it gradually...like try for half 7, maybe give him a bath during the extra half hour to keep him occupied and not ratty!

We've noticed that when I put him to bed, he sleeps better, but when my wife does, he tends to have a restless sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Is he waking up hungry? Maybe a snack at bedtime might help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

We put our 18month old in bed at 7.30pm - he have his bottle at about 6.30pm and some toast or a cereal at about 7.00pm.
    Generally he'll sleep until around 7.00am.
    We

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, we'll gradually stretch his bedtime and see if it makes a difference.

I never thought he might be hungry, he has his tea at 5pm and a biscuit at 6pm. What should I give him instead- will I try a bowl of porridge or wheetabix at 6.30? He still has a bottle at bedtime (:o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

We put our 18month old in bed at 7.30pm - he have his bottle at about 6.30pm and some toast or a cereal at about 7.00pm.
    Generally he'll sleep until around 7.00am.
    We've found putting him to bed later doesn't make a huge amount of difference in terms of his waking time - if anything having him over-tired going to bed will generally result in a worse nights sleep.

We've found putting him to bed later doesn't make a huge amount of difference in terms of his waking time - if anything having him over-tired going to bed will generally result in a worse nights sleep.

That's my worry, once he's tired he's like a divil- it's really hard to keep him up past 7 but we'll give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I can't say about a 18 month old but my 3 month old is sleeping so much better since I got her to sleep for 3 x 1.5 hr naps. It didn't make any sense, but sleeping more in the day has increased the amount she sleeps in the night. Though he is at an age where he knows he will miss out on things, not so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

my little 1 is 22 months and she goes into bed at 7.30 usually asleep by 8 and will sleep untill 9 or 10 in the morning. it took her afew weeks to get used to the time change and would wake up at exactly 8.30 every morning

• Advertisement
Advertisement