Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more snow eh? Met Eireann are a bunch of jokers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

do you work in glasnevin?? Met Eireann have been caught napping. Portlaoise isn't the issue , the main hub Dublin is!! The airport is closed again, after they said it wouldn't be issue

1. they didnt say snow free today.

2.Forecasting at the moment is practically impossible

3. They update their forecasts when they get new data.

4. No one gets all this right.

5.they have been very accurate so far.

6. and i dont work in glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

1. they didnt say snow free today.

2.Forecasting at the moment is practically impossible

3. They update their forecasts when they get new data.

4. No one gets all this right.

5.they have been very accurate so far.

6. and i dont work in glasnevin.

owww getting all pointy!! I am not a forecaster mate just an ordinary person so yes am uneducated with regards to forecasting, but sick and tired of ME getting it wrong(they are the professionals), this "thaw" is being put back 3 days since the start of the week. besides this thread is titled "No more snow eh? Met Eireann are a bunch of jokers" So I am entitle to put my view across , how ever uneducated!!!

Happy Christmas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I don't recall Met E saying it would stop snowing for starters , the current setup ( streamers affecting Dublin and Wicklow in the main) is highly unpredictable unlike a frontal mass of wet which it ain't.

I would even like to congratulate them for their accurate forecasts in the West in the past few days, long may that atypical accuracy in the west continue :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

owww getting all pointy!! I am not a forecaster mate just an ordinary person so yes am uneducated with regards to forecasting, but sick and tired of ME getting it wrong(they are the professionals), this "thaw" is being put back 3 days since the start of the week. besides this thread is titled "No more snow eh? Met Eireann are a bunch of jokers" So I am entitle to put my view across , how ever uneducated!!!

Happy Christmas

Of course you are entitled to . . .its a forum! Happy Christmas to you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I don't recall Met E saying it would stop snowing for starters , the current setup ( streamers affecting Dublin and Wicklow in the main) is highly unpredictable unlike a frontal mass of wet which it ain't.

I would even like to congratulate them for their accurate forecasts in the West in the past few days, long may that atypical accuracy in the west continue :)
    +1
    Streamers and the Irish sea are very unpredictable.
    They probably stepped on their own foot if they ever said no more snow, but they have been fairly accurate for the rest of the country.
    Happy Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

The only people who are giving out about met eireann here are the ones who are new comers to the weather forum(probaly tempory aswell), and i presume have not learned alot about how the atmosphere works yet and therefore have no place slating met eireann.

If ye want to whinge about met eireann, go and follow the weather intensively for a few years( a couple of hours a evening like i have). Then you will have a good handle of how it works, and I will garuntee you will never slate a forecaster again for getting minor details wrong.

These showers were forecasted by met eireann yesterday lunchtime.

I quote ''Showers in Eastern area will continue becoming heavy and pushing inland and could reach east Munster''. Get your facts right people:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Lads they are a shower of clowns. Overpaid public servants that yet again fail to perform.

They got it TOTALLY wrong today. People saying the didn't either work there or haven't a clue.

This morning on the radio, tv and interent, they stated a few minor showers.

Now there are blizzards. Heavy PROLONGED snow all day. Probably all night.

They stated no major disruption but yet Dublin Airport had no close a good few times

Any clown can look out the window and update their forecast.

This is not the first time in the last few weeks that they got it totally wrong.

A shower of underperforming clowns.

Sure what else can we expect from public servants.

CLOWNS!!

Have ye seen that guy John Kilrane, the Dublin city reporter on the RTE news?
    EVERY DAY this week he has been on with the same sentence at the end of his report "Met Eireann are saying that snow will become more scattered and die out and then we will see more dryer and cold weather"
    The the next day he is on reporting from a snowy Dublin where another day of traffic chaos has been the story....
    id really love to know what goes on at the daily city meeting between ME, NRA and City Council ? That yank from the NRA saying salt supplies are coping well even though only main roads are treated

Exactly. Yet everyday Met Eireann have to change it. CLowns

NickDrake wrote: »
    Lads they are a shower of clowns. Overpaid public servants that yet again fail to perform.

They got it TOTALLY wrong today. People saying the didn't either work there or haven't a clue.

This morning on the radio, tv and interent, they stated a few minor showers.

Now there are blizzards. Heavy PROLONGED snow all day. Probably all night.

They stated no major disruption but yet Dublin Airport had no close a good few times

Any clown can look out the window and update their forecast.

This is not the first time in the last few weeks that they got it totally wrong.

A shower of underperforming clowns.

Sure what else can we expect from public servants.

CLOWNS!!
    :rolleyes:
    I dont work there and i think i do have a clue. Ive been spending a fair amount time over the last 3-4 years really getting the ins and outs of this whole weather lark, been off work for a few days this week and ive been watching every forecast around and believe me met eireann have been the best. The funny thing is that alot of the people whinging in this thread are the people who ask what the blue bits on a precipitation chart means!

EDIT: I'm pretty sure there is met eireann folk reading in here, and its a pity they dont contribute to the threads, but i wonder why they dont! This forum is so much better in summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Why don't we gather all the moaners here and let them swap with the ME forecasters for a month and see what they have to say!:rolleyes: How easy do ye think it is to forecast the exact precipitation from a streamer originating on the Welsh coast and travelling over here, possibly gaining or losing power on the way? It's not very f**kin easy at all. Give them a break. Overpayed public servants my arse.

Ye wouldn't be complaining if they forecasted rain and wind in the middle of July and we got a heatwave. Stop complaining now. Mother nature has a psychotic mind of her own and by all accounts most models have consistently failed for the past few weeks. This country isn't equipped to deal with this sort of weather, and it's not ME's fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GSF

In light of todays errors in the forecast, ME are investing in some new technology to prevent a recurrence........... a window to look out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

So let's clear this up? Did they suggest that showers would get isolated today or not? If so, were they not wrong? Did that claim cause people to book on the 23rd or later? If so ME have caused people to not get a flight earlier fir Christmas, or to make other arrangements.

That's a fail. As for convective activity. The term isolated is a metreological term. It means you probably won't see a shower, and if you do 1. Dublin got continuous merged heavy showers. The airport was closed for the morning, evening and much of the afternoon. So clearly they failed.

they said showers. They also said up to 5cm. Dublin got WAY more than that.

Bunch of clowns! And they still have the nerve to say there will be very little snow tomorrow. You cannot trust them

And the the poster a few posts up asking the moaners on here to forecast the weather for a month. Get a life. We are not scentists and we don't get paid a huge amount for constant non performance.

Clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Lucyspell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

they said showers. They also said up to 5cm. Dublin got WAY more than that.

Bunch of clowns! And they still have the nerve to say there will be very little snow tomorrow. You cannot trust them

And the the poster a few posts up asking the moaners on here to forecast the weather for a month. Get a life. We are not scentists and we don't get paid a huge amount for constant non performance.

Clowns
    What is this huge amount ME forecasters get? Any figures to back that up? Also, constant non-performance suggests wrong most of the time yeah? Give us a few examples there sure.

Sure last weekend were BBC not saying the East would get absolutely no snow but ME said there would be?

ME didn't get it wrong, they just underestimated the amounts of snow. Would it have made a difference to the Airport, the late buses, the traffic? No, because THIS COUNTRY ISN'T EQUIPPED FOR THIS WEATHER! Not enough salt is the NRA's fault. Not enough plows is the councils fault. Dublin Airport shutting down for a few cms of snow is the DAA's fault.

Nothing you can do about this weather. Wouldn't have made a difference if they had forecasted it correctly - the airport would still be closed and traffic would still be chaotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

snow ghost wrote: »
    Met Eireann were caught napping all morning tbh.

I saw a couple of their forecasts and they didn't give any indication of what appears to be blizzards, etc.

ME seemed to have been fiddling while Rome was about to burn this morning. They got caught with their pants down, Karina Buckely was confidently forecasting feck all but a few showers, then they had to wheel Evelyn out when the heavy snow arrived.

That said no one can accurately 100% predict the future, things are dynamic and can change at the drop of a hat and some people within the Pale are whingers who expect too much, e.g. we got a sudden major snowfall here a few nights ago and it was hardly acknowledged by the Pale-centric media.

Thems the breaks folks - deal with it.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    What is this huge amount ME forecasters get? Any figures to back that up? Also, constant non-performance suggests wrong most of the time yeah? Give us a few examples there sure.

Sure last weekend were BBC not saying the East would get absolutely no snow but ME said there would be?

ME didn't get it wrong, they just underestimated the amounts of snow. Would it have made a difference to the Airport, the late buses, the traffic? No, because THIS COUNTRY ISN'T EQUIPPED FOR THIS WEATHER! Not enough salt is the NRA's fault. Not enough plows is the councils fault. Dublin Airport shutting down for a few cms of snow is the DAA's fault.

Nothing you can do about this weather. Wouldn't have made a difference if they had forecasted it correctly - the airport would still be closed and traffic would still be chaotic.

Fair comments and I agree with you there but 8 Inches fell in Dublin last night. Confirmed on Radio there. That is not isolated snow. That is not 2-5cm.

2-5cm was their warning all day yesterday and last night. God all they had to do was look out the window, but I presume most were off on Christmas holidays.

They got the amount TOTALLY wrong.

They are a shambles and let the country down yet again.

Can I ask have you seen the carnage in Dublin and the amount we got last night?

Everyone on the street and about my area this morning are giving out yards about met Eireann.

It is not just me.

Regarding pay? They are a public service so we can be pretty sure they are overpaid.

Examples of non performance?? Last summer there were a good few cases. The floods last Winter. The Big freeeze x 2 this Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Fair comments and I agree with you there but 8 Inches fell in Dublin last night. Confirmed on Radio there. That is not isolated snow. That is not 2-5cm.

2-5cm was their warning all day yesterday and last night. God all they had to do was look out the window, but I presume most were off on Christmas holidays.

Everyone on the street and about my area this morning are giving out yards about met Eireann.

It is not just me.

Regarding pay? They are a public service so we can be pretty sure they are overpaid.

Examples of non performance?? Last summer there were a good few cases. The floods last Winter. The Big freeeze x 2 this Winter.
    I think your comments are a little unfair on ME. Those streamers are so hard to predict, even in the states where lake effect snow happens a lot they find it hard to predict how much snow one area will get and what area will get it.

Thetonynator mentioned uneducated in a previous post, i think that is the problem here(Well in the subject at hand). As has been stated many times here, for the majority of this cold spell have been far better than BBC, M.T etc. Their forecast for yesterday was scattered heavy snowers that may reach east munster, that was spot on!

These convection setups in irish sea are near impossible to accurately predict exact location and amounts. If most of the general public are unable understand this then thats their problem not Met Eireann's.

Cop on and get a fuppin clue!

• Advertisement

It is not just me.

All well flagged and forecasted by Met Eireann! Seriously you need to get your facts right!

How can you win an argument if you have absolutely no clue what your talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

It seems it's really only the Dubs that are really complaing, they put out that warning of 2-5cm in a general way for the east coast, and east leinster, meaning not only Dublin, if you average all the snow depths recieved in these area's, 2-5cm is spot on, considering little or none fell in area's. And I dont believe 8 inches fell in Dublin, that's just a guesss by some randomer, there has not been one report here at Boards of 8 inches, and if there is, they need to provide picture evidence..

Alot of people over exagerate there snow anyway, including myself, who reported nearly two feet of snow, I had 35 cm, but that's another matter.

If you watched there TV reports, you should know there quite about giving out monsterous snow depths, because that causes outrage if there's less than predicted. They, since Saturday last, had snow in Dublin/East, from Monday till Thursday, they can't predict depths, they don't tell the Irish sea how much precip to pack into showers...You may just deal with it.

Aswell, If you hate Met Eireann so much, go look at the models yourself, the hilram, you will see how much they change in only 6 hours. I looked at the GFS precitations sequence, and by looking at that, I knew there would be several hours of heavy snowfall in Dublin, and I'm 15, surely you could all try it.. and if you dont want to do that, read MT's forecast, and stay away from Met.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 frank50

NickDrake I think you need to give specific examples of when Met Eireann got predictions wrong last summer. Predicting floods is not a meteorologists job. They can only predict rainfall from the sky. Once the rain hits the ground it has nothing got to do with them. Met Eireann did forecast the almost continuous heavy rainfall of November 2009. I don't think you can say they failed to predict the current freezing cold conditions either.

frank50 wrote: »
    NickDrake I think you need to give specific examples of when Met Eireann got predictions wrong last summer. Predicting floods is not a meteorologists job. They can only predict rainfall from the sky. Once the rain hits the ground it has nothing got to do with them. Met Eireann did forecast the almost continuous heavy rainfall of November 2009. I don't think you can say they failed to predict the current freezing cold conditions either.

First post? Employee?? They forecasted 2-5cm snow. There was WAY more than that in Dublin. Reported by Dublin Airport this morning. 8 Inches fell. All over the news. I am just passing on the message.

If you are not in Dublin then it is hard for you to see the amount that fell. Scattered showers for Dublin is not non stop snow from 4pm untill 2.am.

Ye got it wrong. Just admit it.

Well I am sick of all this negative talk. The snow is great and a happy Christmas to all.

P.S I have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 frank50

NickDrake I am not an employee of Met Eireann. I was just referring to the comments you made about them getting forecasts wrong during last summer, during the heavy rainfall of November 2009 and that they failed to forecast the big freeze of the last few weeks. They did underestimate the amount of snow that fell in Dublin yesterday and they admitted this themselves.

IGNORE THE TROLL!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

John.Icy wrote: »
    It seems it's really only the Dubs that are really complaing, they put out that warning of 2-5cm in a general way for the east coast, and east leinster, meaning not only Dublin, if you average all the snow depths recieved in these area's, 2-5cm is spot on, considering little or none fell in area's. And I dont believe 8 inches fell in Dublin, that's just a guesss by some randomer, there has not been one report here at Boards of 8 inches, and if there is, they need to provide picture evidence..

Alot of people over exagerate there snow anyway, including myself, who reported nearly two feet of snow, I had 35 cm, but that's another matter.

If you watched there TV reports, you should know there quite about giving out monsterous snow depths, because that causes outrage if there's less than predicted. They, since Saturday last, had snow in Dublin/East, from Monday till Thursday, they can't predict depths, they don't tell the Irish sea how much precip to pack into showers...You may just deal with it.

Aswell, If you hate Met Eireann so much, go look at the models yourself, the hilram, you will see how much they change in only 6 hours. I looked at the GFS precitations sequence, and by looking at that, I knew there would be several hours of heavy snowfall in Dublin, and I'm 15, surely you could all try it.. and if you dont want to do that, read MT's forecast, and stay away from Met.ie.

This much fell in Inchicore Dublin: https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/343841/140694.jpg

Go on and tell me that's not more than 8 inches :rolleyes:

In fact, many other parts like Rathfarnham also picked up a full foot of snow (12 inches)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

To all the haters bashing Met Eireann:

Have any of you even seen the inside of a weatherstation/ forecasting office or have any idea what goes into forecasting in weather like this?
    Its not " push a button and the machine tells you whats going to happen"
    Lol at the ignorance of some of the posts above. People going on about how they heard over the weekend that it wasnt going to be snowing from tuesday on, bit of info - WEATHER SYSTEMS CHANGE! they are complex dynamic entities.
    To the poster qouting accuweathers 10 day forecasts;

What you dont realise is that the science used to produce those forecasts and Met Eireanns is the same, the only difference is that with a 10 day forecast you are getting something like 15 to 20% accuracy at best with anything past 7 to 8 days, especially during winter or spells involving chaotic areas of low pressure etc. Would you like to be presented with information by a state body on which you might plan holidays/ outdoor pursuits if the info is only 15% accurate? I think not...

Now I'm not a forecaster but if you think you can do better in one of the most undefined and uncertain branches of science why not give it a try and maybe allow a forecaster to sit back and act like you shouting out uninformed judgements with no basis or knowledge behind them.

Met Eireann is not always right but what people dont realise is that there is no absolute right or wrong in forecasting, there is intelligent analysis of data.

Ok rant over, que the "rabble rabble rabble" responese:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

rosser44 wrote: »
    que the "rabble rabble rabble" responese:rolleyes:
    Cue? The bigger joke is all the snow on the footpaths in Rathmines. If only there was a nearby army barracks that could send a few of our defence forces out to clear it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

Nolanger wrote: »
    Cue? The bigger joke is all the snow on the footpaths in Rathmines. If only there was a nearby army barracks that could send a few of our defence forces out to clear it?

I dont see the point of this post in relation to the topic being discussed

Advertisement