Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

illegal music downloading

• 23-12-2010 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I've just noticed my sister has installed Limewire and Miro on our home pc. Are these both illegal downloading sites? I was going to uninstall them but don't want to if they have any other uses.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

lightglow wrote: »
    I've just noticed my sister has installed Limewire and Miro on our home pc. Are these both illegal downloading sites? I was going to uninstall them but don't want to if they have any other uses.

Thanks

Miro is jut a video player with BitTorrent (peer-to-peer file distribution) functions

Limewire is just another way to distribute files.

They may mainly be used for distribution of copyright-infringing copies but they're completely legitimate in their own right.

Not a bad idea to uninstall Limewire though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Miro looks fine, but Limewire is a Peer to Peer file sharing service (P2P) which is used primarily for sharing\downloading music. (As far as I know!)

To be honest Limewire is rife with viruses/trojans/etc (from cleaning PC's........no.........seriously!).

You can install this http://bashsoftware.net/ which will require a password if she wanted to install any new software on the machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lightglow

Ok, thankyou!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah limewire is not good at all, uninstall asap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Limewire is a cesspool for virus, trojans and malware

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

and update your anti-virus and run a sweep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

see here
    http://techsling.com/2010/10/limewire-shut-down-by-us-court/ unless she wants the fbi monitoring her pc 24/7,she may as well uninstall limewire,its of no use to her.just uninstall it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I thought Limewire had shut down ??? How did she download it? There is a message on the home page saying they have been closed since October by an American court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

rtorrent + Debian/Ubuntu = the solution

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Naikon wrote: »
    rtorrent + Debian/Ubuntu = the solution

:rolleyes:

ktorrent ftw :D

torrent is just another way to download stuff, if the stuff is legal , like creative commons or open source software there is no problem

torrent sorta uploads stuff as well so there is a grey area when using it to download movies and films - at presnet many of the rights holders have said for now they won't go after people who download , just the uploaders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭GarRo247

I thought Limewire had shut down ??? How did she download it? There is a message on the home page saying they have been closed since October by an American court.

There are still some sites that allow you to download it, id remove it as quickly as possible as when it was closed down an update was sent out that causes limewire to harm your computer if you try to use it, I'm not sure how it could harm you though.

Advertisement