Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining Garda Reserves as an ex-guard

Options
  • 21-12-2010 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,
    Just want to get your opinion on this... I'm an ex-garda and when I left it was a tough decision as I enjoyed the job. I'm thinking of joining the Garda Reserve. Does anyone know of other ex guards who are in the reserves. I served for 7 years, left about 7 years ago and I'm in my mid 30s. Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

Mr.Ex wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just want to get your opinion on this... I'm an ex-garda and when I left it was a tough decision as I enjoyed the job. I'm thinking of joining the Garda Reserve. Does anyone know of other ex guards who are in the reserves. I served for 7 years, left about 7 years ago and I'm in my mid 30s. Cheers

dont know any ex guards that joined myself, but if you enjoyed the full time you'll more than likely enjoy the resreve too. Apply for it and if it doesnt suit or you dont like it then you can always resign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

Hi,

Don't know any ex-members myself in the reserves and I'am in it for 3 and a bit years... but I would say asked yourself why you left in the first place and see if that issue(s) that required you to leave is still present or can manafest itself again on returning to the force. If it doesn't and wont manifest again, well go for it then but be very mindful of some current fulltime members attitude's towards the reserve, mind you only a minority but still some anyhow. If you are up for it, go for it... that's my moto... the greatest risk of all is not taking a risk!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Hi,

I'm in nearly five years and don't know any ex members in the reserves. I do know that if you join you only have to do Phase 1 in Templemore. If you enjoyed the job when you were full time, i'd join up as its very enjoyable as a reserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Hi,

Mr.Ex dying to know why you left as well, had our wonderful Celtic Tiger anything to do with it? As regards becoming a Reserve, while you should get to see most aspects of regular policing again, the lack of powers and responsibilities might come as a major shock to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mr.Ex

gilly2308 wrote: »
    Mr.Ex dying to know why you left as well, had our wonderful Celtic Tiger anything to do with it? As regards becoming a Reserve, while you should get to see most aspects of regular policing again, the lack of powers and responsibilities might come as a major shock to you.

I left and joined the fire brigade though at the time I wasn't totally committed to leaving but with better time off and slightly better pay it meant I could have more time to spend with my kids. My wife is still a Garda and it used to be a nightmare organising the kids what with the shifts and court etc. Life is great now but I just don't get the same buzz in work as I did in the guards. There were no issues while I was in the guards and I said it was a huge decision at the time to leave and looking back I probably made the wrong call, but sure thats all in the past now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abed

Hi There,

I'm Training at phase 2 at te moment and our training Sargeant told us that one of the reserve Gardai at the station was a full time member.
    if you like the job go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Mod Note: I have moved posts out of this thread to a new thread here so as not to derail this thread and it's original post and question.

kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Operator

Hi,

I know an ex Garda who is now in the Reserves, He left after a couple of years but came back recently as a reserve. I am a member.

Operator wrote: »
    I know an ex Garda who is now in the Reserves, He left after a couple of years but came back recently as a reserve. I am a member.

How is he getting on with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

I guess it depends on the personalities on the unit he/she is on with and how the GR themselves measure up on the job.

Every single one is different but it is down to the individual in most cases.

With your being an ex-member and a firefighter I'd imagine you'd know how to roll with a team.

• Advertisement

Very well actually, he recently transfered back to the station where he was a student on Phase 2. I believe the reason he left was rooted in a serious clash of personalities with his unit skipper on phase four which basicly led to him jacking the job. By all accounts he was a great student and at the time his tutor tried to talk him out of leaving to no avail. I dont know where he went for the few years in between then and now but he's back in his phase 2 station and is as good as anyone else (Minus the pay), a brave move in my opinion.

If I was to add anything I would say it is not unknown for people to rejoin in full, you would have to do the training again but that would be a walk in the park if you did it already.

P.S I known several people who left to join DFB, when I spoke with them they weren't totally convinced they did the right thing. Why not consider coming back.

Very well actually, he recently transfered back to the station where he was a student on Phase 2. I believe the reason he left was rooted in a serious clash of personalities with his unit skipper on phase four which basicly led to him jacking the job. By all accounts he was a great student and at the time his tutor tried to talk him out of leaving to no avail. I dont know where he went for the few years in between then and now but he's back in his phase 2 station and is as good as anyone else (Minus the pay), a brave move in my opinion.

If I was to add anything I would say it is not unknown for people to rejoin in full, you would have to do the training again but that would be a walk in the park if you did it already.

P.S I known several people who left to join DFB, when I spoke with them they weren't totally convinced they did the right thing. Why not consider coming back.

I had the option of coming back there a few years ago and just doing phase 3 again but other financial considerations got in the way with a new baby arriving around then and the sale of our house falling through but sure thats all in the past. If I won a few quid on the lotto I'd be straight back in lol

If you got back on the same pay scale it could well be worth it! All major decisions but with a bit of pull and six months in the door ya could be right back where you left of.

Apparently around 60-70% of the force has >10 years service and of that approx 70% > 6 years so you would be in a comfortable postion to pursue a position of choice. You return with your old number!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 daedalus177

Hi,

Hi Mr Ex, Im an ex garda myself, I left alomst 4 years ago for family reasons, Having read through the thread I'm just wondering did you make it into the reserve? Ive applied for the reserve myself, I just sent off the back ground form yesterday. If you made it in I would interested in hearing some of your exerpiences with the process.

Its defiitely good to see that other former full time members Mr. Ex included are open to the reserve and willing to take up that role.

Advertisement