Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about bank guarantee.

Options
  • 23-12-2010 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭

Does the guarantee cover new money being put on deposit.
    I've been playing musical chairs with my money in the past while between 3 different accounts.
    What i want to know is: I've taken money out of AIB- if i decide to re-deposit it to AIB in future is this money covered under the guarantee.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Yes it does as long as the guarantee applies. Probably even safer now that AIB has been nationalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I really cant see why people feel safe with the Deposit Protection Scheme. In the end of the day if the Government have to call on it how much would it cost? Certainly more than the money being put forward by the EU/IMF bail out, so just how are they going to get the funds to pay people!

I do agree, the more state owned the safer that bank becomes.

Best thing to do is just make sure your getting the most return for the funds you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Yes it does as long as the guarantee applies. Probably even safer now that AIB has been nationalised.

It is not safer due to nationalisation. AIB are now tied to the state and are completely dependent on the state for survival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Fungus wrote: »
    It is not safer due to nationalisation. AIB are now tied to the state and are completely dependent on the state for survival.

....and therefore safer. Its now a soverign state owned bank and the deposit is as safe as any government bond.

Having state backing used to mean something but it really boils down to how safe is Ireland as an investment? Going by international consensus the answer to that is, not very.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

....and therefore safer. Its now a soverign state owned bank and the deposit is as safe as any government bond.

Having state backing used to mean something but it really boils down to how safe is Ireland as an investment? Going by international consensus the answer to that is, not very.

According to the credit default swap market, there is a 35% chance of an Irish default inside the next 5 years.

AIB = Anglo = INBS = EBS = the state = subject to the same risks that are inherent in the solvent of the Irish state.

• Advertisement
Advertisement