Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support Local...

Options
  • 23-12-2010 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

A couple of recent tales -

Paddy Cogley Facia/Soffit/Guttering

They were advertising on South East Radio. We rang and agreed a date/time for them to call out and give us a quote.

We waited... they never showed. Not even a courtesy call to say they couldn't make it/re-arrange the appointment.

The cost of a mobile phone call down the drain. I wonder how much the ad on SE Radio cost and why they even bothered?

Mr. Oil (or Mr. No Oil as I now call them)

We called and placed an order. We were told it would be delivered last Saturday. So one of us had to sit in all day Saturday to wait.

Saturday afternoon, no sign of Mr. No Oil so we rang them and we were told we were on the list for the day and that the driver should be in touch later that evening. Later that evening... nothing.

Monday passed, no sign of Mr. No Oil. Monday evening, 5:45pm, Mr. No Oil called to ask where we lived. I gave Mr. No Oil the directions and he told me he'd be there Tuesday, and if not Tuesday then Wednesday.

Tuesday passed, no oil.

Wednesday passed, no oil. We rang Mr. No Oil on Wednesday evening and were told that it might be delivered Thursday, if not it might be Friday otherwise it would be the Tuesday after Christmas.

The last time I bought oil I ordered it from Jones Oil in New Ross. Why, oh why didn't I use the tried and trusted... as I was heading towards home yesterday they passed me by so they were in the area :(

The Summary

Well... what a load of bolox. You try to support local and they arse you around. I understand it's a busy time of year and the weather isn't helping matters... but FFS communicate clearly and honestly with people. If you can't call till after Christmas then just say as much. If you can't make an appointment then at least call and say as much. Seems once things get busy that some businesses are happy to sit back and treat people like muck in the comfort of knowing that there's plenty of money out there to be had.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Your dead right, i cant stand the relaxed attitude of some of the companies operating around wexford.
    I never understood why repair men/delivery men expect you to stay in all day and wait for them as they refuse to give you an ETA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I enquired about a wood burning stove from Gorey Stone Art, still waiting for their rep to call almost a year later. Presumably all these stories about recession in the building trade are just rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Cancelled with Mr. Oil on Tuesday... he asked we were sure, that he'd get to me by Wednesday... ffs, what a shambles.

Ordered from Jones Oil in New Ross the same morning... arrived Wednesday afternoon. Excellent.

Called a guy called Ger Tobin to price the gutters... he was out at the house 2 hours later, a very nice man to add. Again, excellent.

So.. it's a mixed bag. Some very professional people out there and some total wasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Clonroche Seamless Guttering has been on their way to me 'within the week' since September. I've been told this 4 or 5 times when I called them. I'd hate to have seen how long it would have taken when houses were still being built.

I have a new man doing the job but I haven't cancelled the original request yet, I'll let them know when (if) they ever show up

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

I ordered Mr Oil yesterday, he rang just now and says he'll be here in an hour, ill keep ye posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Murtinho wrote: »
    I ordered Mr Oil yesterday, he rang just now and says he'll be here in an hour, ill keep ye posted.

well he arrived, €750 for 1001 ltr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

well he arrived

Some guys have all the luck... :(

The phucker kept putting me off and off and off... even after promising to deliver it the Tuesday after Christmas we then ring him that day and he says "are you sure we can't deliver it to you tomorrow".

And that the Lord may strike me down, this is the truth - when I came home on Christmas night, having been out doing a few visits, our oil was gone... no exaggeration.. I swear on my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

Any clues? ;)

Advertisement