Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cold water in kitchen not working

• 23-12-2010 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

hi . cold water in mains in kitchen went today.storage tank not filling either.due to frozen pipes.just wondering, the hot water in kitchen is working.does the hot water in kitchen come from the storage tank in attic like the rest of the house or does in come from the mains like the cold water. i know one way or the other il have to wait it out,cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The only tap in the house that comes off the mains supply is the cold water one in the kitchen. The header tank on the roof is supplied by the mains and supplies all of the other taps, including the hot water ones. When that tank is empty you will have no more hot water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Hot water comes from your hot water cylinder (usually in the hotpress) but as ART6 says that is fed from the cold tank in attic and will run dry because it can't refill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

OP, if I was you, stop using the hot tap. If the header tank runs dry you could run into problems with dirt, or airlocks etc... Best to keep water in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭wildrover444

yeah think il stay away from the hot water then.when it froze last year i let the attic tank run dry and had awful problems with airlocks when it thawed.i was just hoping against hope that hot water tap in kitchen was from mains.cheers for advice

Since i have to conserve water does anyone know how much water flushing the toilet uses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

About 9l a time, but it depends. You could throw place a brick or 2 into the cistern to reduce the amount per flush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Fill an empty plastic milk carton and put it in,. It'll be cleaner than using a brick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭swampgas

Prenderb wrote: »
    About 9l a time, but it depends. You could throw place a brick or 2 into the cistern to reduce the amount per flush.

If you do reduce the flush volume, be vigilant that the pipes don't back up. Sometimes you need the full 9 litres or so to get everything swept away cleanly. (Been bitten by this myself.)

One of those fancy Australian style cisterns which allow partial or full flush would be nice in this situation but they are pretty rare in Ireland. Water metering might change that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

I had a similar problem yesterday with the cold water tap in the kitchen. Between it and the stop cock outside, the bathroom sink and toilet were working fine. So we tracked down the bit of pipe that was blocked with ice and used a hairdryer to read it. Once it freed up, the water started topping up the tanks in the attic

I had a similar problem yesterday with the cold water tap in the kitchen. Between it and the stop cock outside, the bathroom sink and toilet were working fine. So we tracked down the bit of pipe that was blocked with ice and used a hairdryer to read it. Once it freed up, the water started topping up the tanks in the attic

i could try and track down frozen pipes but dont think its possible since i live on a housing estate and the pipes dont seem to be visible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement