Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for pumping water to attic?

• 23-12-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

The pipes are frozen in my estate so what I want to do is leave a drum of water on the landing and somehow pump the water to the tank in the attic. Anyone know where I'd get some kind of small hand pump in Galway? I was wondering would a powerwasher do the trick? Or any other ideas appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I think this is what you need, a pump head for a standard drill..

http://www.handyhardware.ie/product/11496/Vitrex-40-1881-Electric-Drill-Pump-Ac

Add some garden hose and away you go...
    I'd say some hardware stores would have one, maybe woodies/atlantic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

http://www.arro.ie/Departments/Power-Tools.aspx?page=23
    your local hardware may have a submersable pump
    mc quillans tools have them
    lidl do them frequently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Had the same problem last year but i have a stream running past the house. Went out and bought a submersible pump to pump from the stream to the tank.
    I got mine in the local co op but argos have them in the catalogue currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I had a problem with our well once and I spent a week or so carrying buckets up a ladder and tipping them into the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭koura

Find the overflow pipe from your attic tank. You should see two pipes sticking out of the soffit usually at the back of the house. One is the overflow for the central heating, the other is the overflow for your water tank in the attic, connect your garden hose to the one for the tank and pump away.
    Be VERY carefull not to overflow the water tank, its VERY advisable to have another person moniter the attic tank as it fills up otherwise you will flood the attic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

koura wrote: »
    Find the overflow pipe from your attic tank. You should see two pipes sticking out of the soffit usually at the back of the house. One is the overflow for the central heating, the other is the overflow for your water tank in the attic, connect your garden hose to the one for the tank and pump away.
    Be VERY carefull not to overflow the water tank, its VERY advisable to have another person moniter the attic tank as it fills up otherwise you will flood the attic.

Unless you enjoy to prospect of spiders and other creepy crawlies (dead or alive) floating about in your tank it might be a good idea to flush out the overflow pipe from inside the attic before you start filling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

My daughters house was same as you. Got a circulating pump of plumber and used that to pump water to attic from drum. VERY SUCCESSFUL BUT YOU WANT TO KEEP EYE ON TANK TO TURN OF PUMP WHEN FULL.

North West

Advertisement