Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Physics

• 23-12-2010 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Does anybody out there have any decent notes or tips for Physics. Or any advice in general on the subject as I tend to struggle with it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Exam Edge Physics. Exam Edge Physics. Exam Edge Physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

What jumpguy said. I wouldn't recommend Less Stress at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

well you'd want to know the experiments inside out. 120/120 is very achievable for section A. then you want to know the particle physics option q well, there isn't too much in it so you should learn that. The mechanics questions have been mad hard for the last 2 years so don't look too much in to that (apart form the experiments). A light experiment came up in 10 so a sound one looks likely in 11. The optic fibre is always fairly popular(i don't know why) but it didn't come up in 10 so look in to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I hate experiments. So many graphs!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

do the past papers! every single question, you'd be surprised how the questions start to repeat in style:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 manup

hi. physics is a very managable subject but can be quite daunting at first, especially mechanics for example. i would reccommend in printing off the syllabus. i cannot express how important this is. this was like a bible to me, in the end you are being examined on the syllabus, not the book. the book can have extra unnecessary things. go through the syllabus with a fine comb and you should be fine :) also section A should be a doddle, questions tend to be similar on experiments and common sense should help you also. N.N.B get syllabus. syllabus for physics and chemistry are very detailed and therefore very valuable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

I hate experiments. So many graphs!!

Easy marks there. Easy marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 crossane

All exam papers here along with marking schemes for higher and ordinary level. Looking at the exam papers and working through the solutions using the marking schemes is probably the best practice you can do to prepare for the exam itself. Full list of leaving cert exam papers here

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dizzymac

I definitely wouldn't advise leaving out mechanics completely. It may be long and contain a lot, but it is the basis for almost everything in physics. Also, it's risky to leave it out. I can't remember exactly how it works, but I think you can usually manage to leave out EM, but I'm not sure about mechanics. Doubt very much if you could leave them both out, so it's a question of which is the lesser of two evils!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 AtomicMess

Considering how much we have to learn it's nice to know that certain topics always appear.
    So you should do well if you:
    1) Know Mechanics, Electricity, Sound and Light experiments for 2010.
    2) Know HL Mechanics inside out as it appears on Q6 + Q12a
    3) Know Electricity + Electromagnetic Induction; sing them like a song
    4) In the actual exam start with these questions
    [ that's if you've learned them inside out ]
    Good luck!

Advertisement