Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

For a change - a good story.

• 23-12-2010 4:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Belfast couple reunited with gifts

A Belfast woman has had her faith in the Christmas spirit restored after a good Samaritan tracked her down to return presents she thought she'd lost for good.
    Lauren McClelland left a bag stacked full of wrapped gifts on a busy train from Manchester to London at the weekend as she dashed to catch a taxi.
    The 31-year-old occupational psychologist quickly realised but by the time she and boyfriend Richard Parker got back to the platform the carriage was empty with no sign of the presents.

And after a trip to lost property proved fruitless, the couple, who live in Canary Wharf, assumed the bag had been stolen by a heartless thief.
    But those fears proved wholly misplaced when an unexpected article appeared in a London paper.

Fellow passenger Dave Winter had found the presents moments after Lauren and Richard jumped off the train but having no way of tracing them - other than their first names on the gift tags - he decided to go to the local press.

His appeal did the trick and the next day Lauren met up with him to get back the presents she thought she'd never see again.
    "When we lost the bag I was devastated, I cried all the way home in the taxi," said Lauren.

"I couldn't believe someone would be so cruel as to steal a bag of wrapped presents - it had really taken the gloss off Christmas for us.
    "But then two days later we got about 20 texts from friends asking had we read the paper. It was unbelievable. This man had made an appeal through the paper for Lauren and Richard. It was so nice of him to make the effort.

It has really restored my faith in humankind. Especially at this time of the year when it's so cold and miserable it's wonderful to know people still look out for each other."
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20101223/tuk-belfast-couple-reunited-with-gifts-f858358.html

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Refreshing good news story.........I likey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Her presents musnt have been that good if she could fit them all in one bag...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Stupid bitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Biggins wrote: »
    Lauren

It has really restored my faith in humankind. Especially at this time of the year when it's so cold and miserable it's wonderful to know people still look out for each other.".....

said Lauren from her apartment in London's main financial centre Canary Wharf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I doubt that the couple were impoverished, most people that are doing their Christmas shopping hang on to their bags for dear life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Her presents musnt have been that good if she could fit them all in one bag...:p
    orourkeda wrote: »
    Stupid bitch
    mikom wrote: »

Twas obviously pointless posting a good news story in AH then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Quick, lets poke holes in the story and make it a bad one!

Someone find something to complain about, or have issue with

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mikom wrote: »
    Yea, a occupational psychologist that she is, must be standing outside just filling her pockets with the raining down money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

TheZohan wrote: »
    I doubt that the couple were impoverished, most people that are doing their Christmas shopping hang on to their bags for dear life.

God, such a bad attitude. It doesn't matter, first of all, how rich or poor they were. Many people, you should realise, spent a lot of time and thought on the presents they get. It's not just money!

And I don't get your impoverished comment. Nobody goes off and leaves their belongings on a bench, on a train or in a taxi on a whim. Surely, people who are struggling with their finances are quite likely to have stress and worry on their minds. It's the easiest thing in the world to get completely distracted the odd time. Normally it doesn't matter, but, very occasionally, you'll have put something down and walk off without it.

Unnecessarily mean post for no reason much!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

deisedevil wrote: »

Twas!!

• Advertisement

xoxyx wrote: »
    God, such a bad attitude. It doesn't matter, first of all, how rich or poor they were. Many people, you should realise, spent a lot of time and thought on the presents they get. It's not just money!

And I don't get your impoverished comment. Nobody goes off and leaves their belongings on a bench, on a train or in a taxi on a whim. Surely, people who are struggling with their finances are quite likely to have stress and worry on their minds. It's the easiest thing in the world to get completely distracted the odd time. Normally it doesn't matter, but, very occasionally, you'll have put something down and walk off without it.

Unnecessarily mean post for no reason much!?!

That's a lot of rubbish, you've even managed to contradict yourself a few times in your post.

That's a lot of rubbish, you've even managed to contradict yourself a few times in your post.

I would love it if you'd tell me how I managed to contradict myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Why did he scoop all the presents up? Had he left them they could've collected them from lost property (which they tried) and been on their merry way.

I would love it if you'd tell me how.

Well firstly look up the definition of "impoverished", I think the use of the word may have been misinterpreted by you.

Secondly have a read over your post and you'll find your contradiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Wouldn't the children have found out about this thus rendering the whole concept of Christmas futile for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

amacachi wrote: »
    Why did he scoop all the presents up? Had he left them they could've collected them from lost property (which they tried) and been on their merry way.
    Maybe because he knew he'd help get them back to her and didn't have faith in someone else to do it. People are generally bastards you know, even around this time of year. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

deisedevil wrote: »

Hmmmmmmm. Quite

Well firstly look up the definition of "impoverished", I think the use of the word may have been misinterpreted by you.

Secondly have a read over your post and you'll find your contradiction.

You mean: impoverished: reduced to poverty? I know what it means but I still don't understand your use of the word. Whether losing these gifts results in poverty or not isn't the point. The point is that it would be heartbreaking to lose the gifts you have bought for Christmas, irrespective of whether or not you can afford to buy new ones.

I still don't get the contradiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

amacachi wrote: »

They left the presents on a busy train, not on a platform. Had nobody picked them up, I really doubt they'd have found their way to lost property. They could've easily been stolen. Or if you mean he should've brought them to lost property, he'd have had to get off his train to do that, which is very awkward, or the train could've already pulled away. Also, people, be nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

A professional living in fancy pants London doesn't deserve to get her Christmas shopping back it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Ah..the human spirit..shat on like only After Hours can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

orourkeda wrote: »
    Stupid bitch

Jesus :rolleyes:

You mean: impoverished: reduced to poverty? I know what it means but I still don't understand your use of the word. Whether losing these gifts results in poverty or not isn't the point. The point is that it would be heartbreaking to lose the gifts you have bought for Christmas, irrespective of whether or not you can afford to buy new ones.

I still don't get the contradiction.

Nah, I admit, I did misunderstand your "impoverished". I totally jumped on your post without understanding it fully and I apologise.

I was just disgusted to find so many negative posts (even in AH) that seemed like badness for badness's sake. I should have gone after the "stupid bitch" guy.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭grungepants

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Quick, lets poke holes in the story and make it a bad one!

Someone find something to complain about, or have issue with

Wait! are the people of AH a sarcastic,condesending,negetive bunch?

Because to be honest i usually have to spell check my posts before posting in fear that someone will correct me...:eek:

Nah, I admit, I did misunderstand your "impoverished". I totally jumped on your post without understanding it fully and I apologise.

I was just disgusted to find so many negative posts (even in AH) that seemed like badness for badness's sake. I should have gone after the "stupid bitch" guy.

That's cool. Tbh I think people are just frowning upon the girl that lost the presents etc. the guy that went to all that trouble to get them back to her is a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

He missed an opportunity to troll them hard.
    Should have kept their pressies, and handed back a bag full of wrapped sex toys and fetish gear.
    Would have caused the mother of arguements with all their friends on Xmas morn. :D

That's cool. Tbh I think people are just frowning upon the girl that lost the presents etc. the guy that went to all that trouble to get them back to her is a legend.

Cool. I am sorry though. I'd f'ing hate for somebody to have a go at me for no reason.

I reckon the guy was nice to get the presents back, but probably should have notified the tube staff. But, all's well that..., etc.

I do feel for the girl though. I've been walking around town recently with bags hanging off every limb and a million things on my mind. Then I suddenly get a heart stopping "do I have x" thought. I have to stop and make sure I have everything before I can go on. So far so good, but it's only a matter of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Wait! are the people of AH a sarcastic,condesending,negetive bunch?

Because to be honest i usually have to spell check my posts before posting in fear that someone will correct me...:eek:

This time clearly being the exception, grungepants. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

krudler wrote: »
    Jesus :rolleyes:
    blasphemy !!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭grungepants

Dionysus wrote: »
    This time clearly being the exception, grungepants. ;)

I didnt go to harvard like the rest of these brain box's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I love this story. What a lovely guy. :)

Advertisement