Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!! My Fireplace is Stained

• 23-12-2010 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a nice stone (Limestone I think) fireplace which my 10 year old decided to melt some burgandy candle wax onto last week leaving two distinct long marks. I managed to scrape off the wax no problem but it seems the dye or some other chemical in the candle has been absorbed into the limestone and I cannot shift it no matter what I try including bleach.

I'd really appreciate it if you have any suggestions as to how I can remove these two stains and get the fireplace back to it's natural state?

Here are some pics.

Cheers

Ben

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

http://www.ehow.com/how_5066336_clean-limestone-tile.html

You could try this. Check with some place that sells fireplaces for that cleaner they are talking about.

Cool fireplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks MarkR,

Great info. I'll start with those suggestions.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'd try using the heat (or steam) method first from that article before attempting any chemicals. If you lightly press an absorbent cloth on the stain then apply enough heat through the cloth to melt the wax then it should help suck some of it out of the pores. A microfibre cloth might give the most absorbency but make sure it won't melt and stick under the heat. Do not rub the hot stain as this will only spread the wax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jiggerypokery

Try this http://www.filachim.com/en/products/fila-sr95.html?materiali=pietre naturali. Ring around some tile shops in your area should stock fila products. I know tubs and tiles used to but i'm not sure if they still do.

Thanks Jiggery,

BTW are a stockist so I'll contact them to see if they have it in stock and give it a go. Sounds like the right stuff alright.

Ben

• Advertisement

Jiggery,

Eventually got a bottle of that from BTW, poured it over the stains, had a cup of tea, wiped it off and hey presto, no more stain!! If anything it's cleaned the area so well it looks brand new compared to the rest of the area which has faded a little in it's lustre. Amazing stuff!!!

Thanks for the suggestion, it was really annoying me.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Leave some sand on it for about a week or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

.......and of course, the child has to go ;)

Advertisement