Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 Home Button Unresponsive

Options
  • 23-12-2010 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Right so I woke up this morning and tried to turn on my iphone 4 by pressing the home button but its completely unresponsive. I tried rebooting powering off everything that I can think of but it just starts up again and it doesn't work (although for some reason it goes into voice control when it comes back on after being powered off?). I've been onto apple and they told me to restore it, update the firmware etc etc... Eventually though they admitted that its more than likely a hardware issue as opposed to a software one, and that I have to send it to them to get it fixed or replaced. While in the process of arranging the phone to be collected the girl asked me could I see if the water damage indicators were triggered, which by the looks of things I dont think they have been (its harder to tell with the one on the connector port as its got a bit of dust on it but really I think theyre both untriggered). After I told her that they looked ok though she kinda offhandedly mentioned that it could still be water damaged and that they'll have to check that in the factory and that if it is my warranty will be voided and that i have to pay €200+ to get it fixed! So basically this has got me worried that apple are gonna come out with some story about how I water damaged it, which I stress that to the best of my knowledge I havent I take pretty good care of it and never get it wet. Does anybody know from previous experiences how apple handle issues like this or has this problem happened to anyone else's iphone 4?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Hi Rory, look don't worry, I almost certain it is not water damaged. Parts break all the time, sure I am on my 3rd iPhone 4, first it just stopped working, and second the led was messed up. I am sure they will fix it for you no bother, but it can suck to it to be out of action for that long. I gave them my credit card number and they send me out a new one, while I sent in my old one. Don't worry about it seriously, most of the time they don't even check it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 RoryMcG

Thanks for gettin back so quick! I feel better now, thought from the way she said it that there might be something dodgy goin on. I'm just stressed out over it, too me ages to convince the apple staff that it wasnt some software problem, and I really didnt want to have to cough out another couple hundred for an already expensive phone. Do you remember how long it took them to get your replacement to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Decky86

wow this is coincidental! this happened me today too! .. turn itoff it goes to voice control.. home button doesnt work.. ive heard the port below can cause it with dust gettin jammed in there.. i thought this was true as today after i made a call i saw a message along the lines of 'this device is unsupported ' ..like i had just plugged in a radio transmitter or somethin iphones dont lik.. weird?
    cleaning the port hasnt worked and turning the phone off and charging it brings me to the connect to itunes screen?? so annoyed over this

Yeah I read something about that dust problem on the dock connector as well and how brushing it or spraying it with compressed canned air can help, but to be honest I'm reluctant to do any DIY jobs on it myself while I still have warranty cover on it. I take it you havent exposed yours to water either and have you contacted apple customer care about it?

Dont suppose anyone out there has had their iphone successfully replaced/repaired by apple after having this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Decky86

No i havent co tactin anyone. Goin to go into 3 and see what they say.. My phone is insured too so that might help.. No water contact at all so im guessing a hardware fault somewhere is responsible. Its such a pain to rest it everytime i need to use another feature .. Any luck with yours yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Mine was acting up a few days ago. I reckon it was the cold weather, because its fine now

Yeah I was thinkin it might have been the weather too, anyway ended up getiin three to send it away for me cause apple never sent me out the box to post it to them. Got a new replacement phone today so Im pretty happy. Had to collect it from a place called "Fonemenders", apparently they're the crowd who handle apple repairs in the Dublin area. The lad in the shop told me that if you call in straight to them with an iphone thats broken and still under warranty, they'll fix it within one day or give you a new handset if its impossible. Save you days of waiting, wish I'd known that a few weeks ago! The shop's located in the Station Road industrial estate in Clondalkin.

Advertisement