Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to do the Christmas grocery shop?

• 23-12-2010 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Lads just wondering where is best place to do the full grocery shop ?
    IMO dunnes -slightly dearer
    Superquinn - rip off but great quality
    Tesco- own brand goods are only fit for dog bowl
    Lidl- not big enough
    Ardkeen - Iv not won the lotto yet
    Super valu- not sure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Lads just wondering where is best place to do the full grocery shop ?
    IMO dunnes -slightly dearer
    Superquinn - rip off but great quality
    Tesco- own brand goods are only fit for dog bowl
    Lidl- not big enough
    Ardkeen - Iv not won the lotto yet
    Super valu- not sure

Centra in Kilmac :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

How come you forgot Aldi?

Just back from Tesco Ardkeen/ madness out there but everything in stock and got free chocolates while queing at the till.

Most of the stuff I bought was Tesco own brand, wouldn't touch Dunnes own brand, but the Superquinn essential stuff was fine.

Aldi is mostly fine but I only buy bread or cooking ingredients there. Same with Lidl, fruit or diary only everything else is mank even the chrisps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

cococoady wrote: »
    Centra in Kilmac :p

Id need to win the euromillions jackpot to shop in that place

Didn't say aldi as I thought Lidl would cover it ;)

Whats wrong with dunnes own brand compared to tesco ?
    I'd rather pay a few euros extra in dunnes for Irish ham- turkey than a cheap one from tescos (Dutch meat usually)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I'd rather pay a few euros extra in dunnes for Irish ham- turkey than a cheap one from tescos (Dutch meat usually)

I wonder how they smoke their ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

dayshah wrote: »
    I wonder how they smoke their ham.
    in a Dutch Oven :p

• Advertisement

Sorry vegitarian! I meant more the own brand soup / mayo / dips / coffee etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    How come you forgot Aldi?

Just back from Tesco Ardkeen/ madness out there but everything in stock and got free chocolates while queing at the till.

Most of the stuff I bought was Tesco own brand, wouldn't touch Dunnes own brand, but the Superquinn essential stuff was fine.

Aldi is mostly fine but I only buy bread or cooking ingredients there. Same with Lidl, fruit or diary only everything else is mank even the chrisps.

Bread in Aldi ? I'd rather eat sawdust then that muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I got my ham in Ardkeen Quality Foodstores 2.5kg (€18.99) hand reared free range ham and it's delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

wmpdd3 wrote: »

No help to the OP (or anyone) but I recall my only visit to Tesco Ardkeen when I couldn't work the self checkout thingy and had to be rescued by an old lady pacman.gif Happy Christmas to everyone in Waterford, I enjoyed my short time there.

Funfair wrote: »
    Bread in Aldi ? I'd rather eat sawdust then that muck

Am, same supplier as alot of major supermarkets, esp the rolls etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

I always find it so amusing when people question the quality of own brand products. I hate to break it to you but most of the own brand product are rebranded and repackaged "premium" products.

I deal with numerous companies who supply aldi, lidl and tesco own brand with identical product to what they supply M&S and other premium retailers.

But then again if people want to pay over the odds for the same things who am I to stop them!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

A lot of goods are white label products offered to supermarket chains that are produced by the market leaders (or subsidary of)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,688 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How pointless is this discussion? If the op hasn't done his main shop by now - or even yesterday - he won't be doing it till after Christmas.

It looks to me like an excuse to do another Tesco/Aldi/Lidl bashing thread. If thats what you want to do, head over to Consumers and rehash it there. If you feel so strongly about furrin companies in Ireland you have to put up with Dunne's prices. Though I don't necessarily agree they are that much different in price to Tesco.

You should also remember Dunnes' practises of taking over the output of a producer, then forcing the price down because that producer has dropped other markets to accommodate Dunnes, then dropping that producer when they have wrung them dry. They are probably not getting away with it to the same extent now as producers have got wise to them, but being Irish doesn't give them halos.

looksee wrote: »
    How pointless is this discussion? If the op hasn't done his main shop by now - or even yesterday - he won't be doing it till after Christmas.

It looks to me like an excuse to do another Tesco/Aldi/Lidl bashing thread. If thats what you want to do, head over to Consumers and rehash it there. If you feel so strongly about furrin companies in Ireland you have to put up with Dunne's prices. Though I don't necessarily agree they are that much different in price to Tesco.

You should also remember Dunnes' practises of taking over the output of a producer, then forcing the price down because that producer has dropped other markets to accommodate Dunnes, then dropping that producer when they have wrung them dry. They are probably not getting away with it to the same extent now as producers have got wise to them, but being Irish doesn't give them halos.

Jesus someone is full of Christmas spirit.
    Who says it has to be done before today.
    I was in tesco at 4pm and the place was packed with people doing their full Christmas shop.
    It's people like urself who turn a simple a question on it's head that ruin this website.
    Must not have anything better to be doing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,688 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How does the OP trying to start a complain-fest about stores support Christmas spirit?

Who said anything about his christmas spirit. I'm on about yours, the season to be jolly an all that. All he done was ask people a simple question, asking them for their opinion on where to do a bit of shopping, and u accuse him of bashing the likes of lidl, tesco etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Merry Christmas EVERYBODY :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

I was only asking peoples opinions jeez I wasn't looking for a lawsuit from telco it's my opinion it's boards.ie not a courtroom !!
    Done the shop last night (23rd) in dunnes clonmel and i thought there was plenty of offers on quality products and shopping came to cheaper than expected . I went to tesco after to see if any head turning deals could be found and found nothing but empty shelfs in every dept so I was ultra glad I went to dunnes in the first place.

Advertisement