Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jethro Tull, Irish Tour, March 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Fair play. Got front row tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I got tickets for the concert hall too! Can't wait for this one! I'm in row G. I prefer a few rows back in there. Most places I like to be right up close.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

For those unfamiliar with Tull!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

WOAH! thank you for the heads up. I might be away, but if not I'm there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Great shout, tickets bought :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 themucaro

Just a warning to people unfamiliar with JT: You might want to look at more recent clips of Tull before making up your mind, Ian Anderson's voice is completely and utterly shot in any clips I've seen of him.

That said, one of the lads saw them a couple of years ago and said it was a great gig!

I'm aware of that. I was talking to people who are huge fans and went abroad to see them last year and were very disappointed. But the said the music was fantastic. I think it's hit and miss, although from reports I've read it's miss more than hit. I don't think his voice is unlistenable though. I'm a huge fan and I don't think I'd get to see them again after this gig. I think it's worth a punt if you're a fan. This video is from April last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phsqONRbTm4&feature=related

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

CiaranK wrote: »
    I'm aware of that. I was talking to people who are huge fans and went abroad to see them last year and were very disappointed. But the said the music was fantastic. I think it's hit and miss, although from reports I've read it's miss more than hit. I don't think his voice is unlistenable though. I'm a huge fan and I don't think I'd get to see them again after this gig. I think it's worth a punt if you're a fan. This video is from April last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phsqONRbTm4&feature=related

Thats good enough for me^^^;):D

Can't wait for this tonight!! Aqualung is 40 Years old tomorrow. Wow. Wonder if that will be mentioned.

Tir na Nog are supporting tonight. Should be very interesting. They played with Tull back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

CiaranK wrote: »
    Tir na Nog are supporting tonight. Should be very interesting. They played with Tull back in the day.

have a ball Ciaran,
    not a huge fan but will definitely try and catch some of their set at High Voltage......the Concert Hall should suit them perfectly.....

NIBBS wrote: »
    have a ball Ciaran,
    not a huge fan but will definitely try and catch some of their set at High Voltage......the Concert Hall should suit them perfectly.....

Hi, Haven't spoke to you in ages. Thanks I will! High Voltage has a really good line-up so far. I'd love to catch that myself. I'm hoping that tonight is gonna be great. Martin Barre is amazing on guitar! Can't wait to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Cool ... looking forward to tonight ...

Can't wait!!!:D Should be a blast! Good to see the NCH is sold-out for this after a poor attendance a few years back. Support act will be on at 8pm and Tull due at 8.45pm. Hopefully Ian's voice will be up for the occasion!! Enjoy all!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Loved the gig, took my dad and we both had a blast. Caught about 20 mins of tir na n'og. Wasn't too impressed, the songs with vocal harmonies were good, though I thought the rest were pretty lifeless.

Thouht Jethro Tull were fantastic. Ian's voice was pretty weak, but still a lot better than I thought it would be (should probably add that I was pretty close to the front and it seemed to be more due to him constantly moving away from the mic than just having no voice left). Loved the set they played, great to hear thick as a brick! Ian's such a clown too, I could watch him leap around all day, can't believe he's 63! Not to mention Martin Barre completely killing it on the guitar at 64! Kinda makes me want to quit playing if a near pensioner can have chops like that :) all in all, great night, now to rest my cup of tea on my free Jethro Tull coasters :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Baggio1

was there!! class gig,, Martin Barr - man what a masterclass, not a bum note in sight, pure brilliance, any up and coming guitarist who aint seen him live - well your missin out on sheeer quality, he's terrific

IA was great as always, sure the voice aint what it was, but his talent and unique style is just still amazing....happy days

now for RUSH in may :)

WOW, That gig was incredible. I thought Ian's voice was much better than it had been last year. Martin Barre was something else. He is a seriously underrated player. In my book he's on of the very best! I thought the set was very good too. A really nice mix of older and newer stuff. Ian still has all the moves which was great. The whole band really rocked together. Anyone going tonight or Tomorrow are in for a real treat! Some really great HD Videos below.

Aqualung
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0gNYfyZxMo

Locomotive Breath
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tIvxZUvUBU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Crackin' gig, really enjoyed it!!:D Ian's voice has weakened quite a bit in the last few years but loved his energy and enthusiasm (for 63!!), Martin Barre's playing was a pleasure to watch..especially on Budapest!:eek: Nice mix of songs and what a great way to spend a couple of hours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Wow, looks like Im in the minority here but I found the gig utterly boring. Anderson's voice was very weak and he didn't help matters by constantly pulling away from the mic (maybe it was a masking technique ?). I was really disappointed with the drummer ... it was like watching an accountant filling in a Profit and Loss statement - everything was efficient and in it's correct place , but he had zero flare, truely uninspired performance. Martin Barre was the only redeeming thing about the night - absolutely excellent. First time in the National Concert Hall - lovely venue. Wont be rushing to see Tull again.

RayCon wrote: »
    I was really disappointed with the drummer ... it was like watching an accountant filling in a Profit and Loss statement

Yeah, he looked more interested in a solid performance than showing much emotion alright - what happened to Doane Perry?? Couldn't find any info on his absence?

• Advertisement

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I thought he was terrific. Never seen him live before, but the energy in his performance was something else.

Anyone else think the sound rocked too? Blisteringly loud, incredibly clear, no ear-ringing - that's a great system they've got in the NCH.

Red Alert wrote: »
    I thought he was terrific. Never seen him live before, but the energy in his performance was something else.

Anyone else think the sound rocked too? Blisteringly loud, incredibly clear, no ear-ringing - that's a great system they've got in the NCH.

I thought it was great too! Although the first song or two Barre's guitar was a bit low but it was soon turned up. It was perfect from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Really enjoyed the gig. Felt a bit out of place (26 year old girl), but I've been listening to Tull since I was born so it was amazing to finally see them live. Been dreaming about seeing them for a long time :)

Didn't think Ian's voice was great (it was tolerable), but otherwise thought it was a great night. My only other problem was that with such a wide back catalogue, there were always going to be songs I wanted to hear but they didn't play!

Advertisement