Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which to get

• 23-12-2010 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi All

Starting to work on my Sega collection and wanted to know what you think i should get first a master system, a mega cd or saturn really don't know where to start.
    Thanks for you your help all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I take it you already have a Megadrive?

My own personal preference for those consoles goes -

Megadrive
    Saturn
    Sega CD
    Master System

If you're getting a Saturn, get a Japanese one rather than a PAL one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Saturn, all the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

ya i have a mega drive and dreamcast what would be the best games for the saturn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think, for this, we'll hand you over to Retr0, our local Saturn perv and homo-erotic game collector....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Definitely go for a japanese saturn. Get a chipped saturn with a 4 in 1 actuon replay so you can play all games and not have to spend a fortune on the rare games. The saturn is a great console for discovering great games you never knew existed.

As for the best games, it's list time:

Panzer Dragoon Zwei
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Radiant Silvergun
    Soukyugurentai
    Sega Rally
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Fighters Megamix
    Last Bronx
    Nights into Dreams
    Burning Rangers (bit meh on this one)
    Die Hard Arcade
    Dragon Force
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    Shining Force 3
    Gaurdian Heroes
    Virtua Cop 1 and 2
    House of the Dead
    Saturn Bomberman
    Albert Odyssey
    Shinobi Legions
    Psychic Assassin Taromaru
    Hyperduel
    Layer Section
    Astal
    Assault Suit Leynos 2
    Silhouette Mirage
    Deep Fear
    Bulk Slash
    Darius Gaiden
    Fighting Vipers
    Shining the Holy Ark
    Legend of Oasis
    Princess Crown
    Wachenrodder (txt file translation on gamefaqs)
    Dark Savior
    Baku Baku

And of course don't forget to get Cho Aniki!

If you wish to go the less legal way of obtaining games then there's big community support and places to get them.

Just make sure you have an NTSC machine with an action replay 4 in 1. Most of the best saturn games only came out in japan and the western selection is pretty poor.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

List whore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You wish you were as good as me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The Saturn is the best console Sega ever made and considering it's a nightmare to emulate then it should be top of your list.

Definitely get a Japanese one with the RAM upgrade and then spoil yourself on many Capcom fighters.

Also make sure you get the japanese style pads. The MK1 US pads are some of the worst pads ever made while the jap style pads are probably the best game pad ever made.

YES!
    joy027.jpg

NOOOOOOOOO!!!
    saturn.jpg

The analogue pad is lovely as well and is great for Nights into Dreams.

Master of the Universe

The Saturn is the best console Sega ever made and considering it's a nightmare to emulate then it should be top of your list.

*cough* second best *cough* ;)
    Definitely get a Japanese one with the RAM upgrade and then spoil yourself on many Capcom fighters.

That 4 in 1 action replay cart for it is probably the best addition you can get for the console. Bargain too, can pick them up for about 25euro.

• Advertisement

I'm going to stick my neck out here and recommend the Sega Mega CD. It's not something everybody would agree, but there are a few decent games worth it - Earthworm Jim, Road Avenger, Soul Star, Batman Returns, Final Fight CD, the Lunar games, Popful Mail, Silpheed, Sonic CD, Keiko Flying Squadron, Terminator, Snatcher, Eternal Champions, Iron Helix, Doubleswitch, Jaguar XJ220, Formula One and some other game involving scantily clad teens running around a trap filled house.

The thing is, I've named just about all the great games there are out there for the SCD. There is an awful amount of drivel for it too and games that are almost direct Mega Drive versions (Wolfchild for example), and the SCD is a product of it's times, the video is small grainy, videos lending to an aged, outdated look but the sound is much better than MD games.

The Mega CD is awful!
    Aside from a handful of decent games the rest are FMV drivel.
    Given the sheer volume of great games for the Saturn, how could you recommend the MegaCD?

Also, mod it!

Otherwise, buy a Dreamcast, tons of games, easily available, and if you are a shooter fan there are still some being releases, from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Mega CD is awful!

Correction, the games for the mega-cd are awful. The actual system is capable of greatness, as seen in all of the aug man's list above. Unfortunately it arrived overpriced, and underdeveloped for...but will always hold a special place for me due to the Lunars, Snatcher, Sonic CD etc.

Master of the Universe

I do feel sorry for all the horrible slack it gets for the rubbish FMV games (Apart from Night Trap though, that game falls into the so bad it's good category) & rereleased Megadrive games.

It is a good machine. It's a well made machine too. Think how old that laser is! How many other laser products do you have from that era which still work?

Also has a pretty damn big library for a console that didn't do so well. 220 games.

Still, nowhere near as good as the Saturn. That's leagues ahead in regards to the games. Definitely get one of them first.

I wouldn't dare compare the Saturn to the Sega Mega CD. It's just a matter of opinion and personal preference in my case. The SCD is not as awful as it's made out to be, it suffered alot from bad planning I think, it had so much more potential.

Master of the Universe

Ah yeah, you're totally right. Not disagreeing with you. As I was saying, it has a pretty massive library of games given how badly everyone thinks it did.

It's certainly no 32X, that's for sure!

Speaking of which, there's a really interesting flier in the Pier Solar box for a game called 'Super Thunder Drive III' for the 32X. Nobody knows anything about it other than what's on the flier. But it appears to be a new game coming out for the console. With only about 30 games for it, I can't wait!

Augmerson wrote: »
    The SCD is not as awful as it's made out to be

Erm, yes it is!
    The handful of games that were good, could probably have been done on the standard MD, the extra hardware effects rocked no ones boat, if I want Mode 7 scaling I'll buy a Snes!
    The extra space on the CD was nearly always filled with FMV, all pants!

Master of the Universe

Snatcher on the Megadrive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The saturn is a great console for discovering great games you never knew existed.

As for the best games, it's list time:
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei
    Sega Rally
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Last Bronx
    Nights into Dreams
    Virtua Cop 1 and 2
    Fighting Vipers
    Baku Baku
    +1
    Christmas Nights, Clockwork Knight, Sonic Jam and Story of Thor 2 as well.
    The Saturn is the best console Sega ever made and considering it's a nightmare to emulate
    Lmao! it is not, I was able to

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    the extra hardware effects rocked no ones boat

I'm sorry Mr.Cider but your wrong again, the cd quality sound was pure bliss, after years or digitized mulch coming from the Megadrive. It gave the games a whole new lease, can you imagine Snatcher without decent sound?

• Advertisement

Core Designs games looked amazing on the Mega CD and used the hardware amazingly. That amount of scaling and rotation effects wold never be possible on a SNES. It's a pity the hardware wasn't used to it's fullest.

Core Designs games looked amazing on the Mega CD and used the hardware amazingly. That amount of scaling and rotation effects wold never be possible on a SNES. It's a pity the hardware wasn't used to it's fullest.

That's more or less it, a console can't be condemed because it's potential wasn't explored/utilised. The Mega-CD was fully capable of running a great game, in a fashion that exceeded what it's parent console (megadrive) could have done. That for me effectively exhonerates the unit, and the blame then shifts to developers & Sega themselves (for its timing & price).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

All this talk of the Saturn makes me think I will have to invest. The only problem is getting the time to play it.

DickyC wrote: »
    All this talk of the Saturn makes me think I will have to invest. The only problem is getting the time to play it.

It's easy. Quit job. Dump girlfriend. Avoid family & friends. Stay inside yer house all day. It can be done if you have dedication!

easier said than done :D
    I fear I am a lurker coming out of the shadows!

Best thing about the saturn is most of the best games are very arcadey so great for picking up for 15-30 minutes for a quick blast.

I did laugh at your suggestion of Cho Aniki, I think I remember reading about that in Edge many years ago. :D don't think I will be playing that in front of the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

I would have to agree with the majority of posters here and say the Saturn. I have only started collecting old consoles in the last few months, but I have always had a soft spot for the Saturn. I remember playing Daytona USA with my brother when it first came out and playing for hours just to try and shave that tenth, hundredth or even a thousandths of a second of our time on Dinosaur canyon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

Others to saturn titles to consider-

Street fighter zero 3
    King of fighters 95/96/97 *neo geo
    Xmen children of atom
    Xmen vs street fighter
    Marvel super heroes vs street fighter
    Marvel super heroes
    Metal slug *neo geo port
    Samurai shodown 3/4 *neo geo
    Cyberbots
    Real Bout Garou Densetsu *neo geo
    Garou Densetsu 3 *neo geo port
    Salmander deluxe pack plus
    Pocket fighter
    Power drift
    Galaxy force 2
    Thunderforce V
    Chase hq
    Steller assault
    Konami msx collection
    Vampire hunter
    Dungeons and dragons collection

• Advertisement

Augmerson wrote: »
    SCD is not as awful as it's made out to be, it suffered alot from bad planning I think, it had so much more potential.

Terminator+batman both made use of cd-

Yeah Terminator on the Sega CD was totally different to the MD version, why couldn't they have done that with more SCD releases?!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

FMV truly sucked...hard, especially on the Sega cd!. A product of it's time really,They should have just left it alone after the laser disc stuff like Mad Dog McCree and Dragons Lair.

The Saturn will always be an amazing console in my eyes because it had some of the best arcade conversions ever. All the AM2 releasese, which were exclusive, were excellent and the console had superior versions of Capcoms CPS2 Marvel fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 BnChemEng

alien trilogy :) best game ever on the saturn

BnChemEng wrote: »
    alien trilogy :) best game ever on the saturn

Terrible conversion of a terrible game. You should play it now, it's woeful. It's also got the 'distinction' of being one of the only games on the saturn to only use 1 of the processors.

You should play it now, it's woeful.

Ah yes, the old 'judge it twenty years after it's release method', only the first rate games survive this tough challenge. To any good, great or even average game, I say to thee, beware of Retro's unfair challenges :(

I'm going to listen to your podcasts in twenty years, they better be oblivious to the passage of time, because if they're not I'll be saying ; "You should listen to them now, they're woeful". :pac:

• Advertisement

Why don't you play it now and tell me it's not crap? It wasn't even that good when it came out. It was a poor doom clone but at the time the consoles didn't have doom and it was one of the first FPS games on the 32-bit consoles so little competition. The Alien license helped a little as well but the aliens are rendered so badly you'd be hard pushed to tell if they are the ones from the films. The saturn version is even worse than the PS1 version. It's not an unfair challenge, a bad games a bad game and I'm going to keep calling it that way. It's not my fault if people can't accept if games have gotten old and janky.

Why don't you play it now and tell me it's not crap? It wasn't even that good when it came out. It was a poor doom clone but at the time the consoles didn't have doom and it was one of the first FPS games on the 32-bit consoles so little competition. The Alien license helped a little as well but the aliens are rendered so badly you'd be hard pushed to tell if they are the ones from the films. The saturn version is even worse than the PS1 version. It's not an unfair challenge, a bad games a bad game and I'm going to keep calling it that way. It's not my fault if people can't accept if games have gotten old and janky.

I wasn't referring to the game above specifically, if I play a game today and think it's crap, I will have thought it crap twenty years ago too. If I played a game twenty years ago and thought it was brilliant, calling it crap today, is, well, ridiculous. All games are a product of their time, with the exception of the very best. They were developed using tools of the time, so why judge them on today's standards? If you want to judge a game, whether it's brilliant or terrible, judge it within it's own parameters, not parameters we have today.

its like this thread when a dude who spoke bad words against panzer dragoon saga http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055922221&page=10

I'm sorry but it would be very disingenuous of me to say that a game that has aged badly is still fun to play today as it was all those years ago. Sometimes when the sheen of fancy graphics and a good license fade there's a bit of a stinker underneath. I'm sorry but if you are going to spend your time playing a game in this day and age then it is worth comparing it what is around today. There's a difference between a game with historical signifigance and something that is worth playing. I'm sorry but I just can't recommend games on nostalgia alone and I'm going to keep warning people to stay away from games that aren't worth their time or money. Also if someone tries to argue that some outdated game is still the pinnacle of the genre I'm going to arge back.
    its like this thread when a dude who spoke bad words against panzer dragoon saga http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055922221&page=10

Except he was trolling, being childish and clearly hadn't played it.

Master of the Universe

Awh, i miss that marcuspheonix dude with his made up games :(

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but it would be very disingenuous of me to say that a game that has aged badly is still fun to play today as it was all those years ago. Sometimes when the sheen of fancy graphics and a good license fade there's a bit of a stinker underneath. I'm sorry but if you are going to spend your time playing a game in this day and age then it is worth comparing it what is around today. There's a difference between a game with historical signifigance and something that is worth playing. I'm sorry but I just can't recommend games on nostalgia alone and I'm going to keep warning people to stay away from games that aren't worth their time or money. Also if someone tries to argue that some outdated game is still the pinnacle of the genre I'm going to arge back.

Except he was trolling, being childish and clearly hadn't played it.

It's nothing to do with nostalgia, or rose tinted glasses...it's about recognising that some games were made with the best resources that the said games dev's had at the time, or best that were available to them. Comparing twenty year old games to modern games based on graphical ability is being completely unfair to the game. Rate the game on how it plays, not how it's graphics have aged. Rate a game within reasonable context, unless you consider graphical prowess the defining factor of a game.

Of course a Ferrari F430 will outperform a Ford Model T...but the comparison is meaningless.

EnterNow wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with nostalgia, or rose tinted glasses...it's about recognising that some games were made with the best resources that the said games dev's had at the time, or best that were available to them. Comparing twenty year old games to modern games based on graphical ability is being completely unfair to the game. Rate the game on how it plays, not how it's graphics have aged. Rate a game within reasonable context, unless you consider graphical prowess the defining factor of a game.

Of course a Ferrari F430 will outperform a Ford Model T...but the comparison is meaningless.

Well I'm not talking just about graphics and if it's still a good game then bad graphics shouldn't matter. Gameplay is the main thing and it's usually what I point out. The only thing I can think of that you are getting at is when I complain about framerate. When I talk about bad framerate it's not because I'm pointing out bad graphics I'm pointing out bad gameplay. A poor framerate really negatively affects gameplay in fast paced games. The 15 FPS battle scenes in FF7 aren't a problem because the game is turn based but in an FPS like goldeneye a poor framerate really negatively affects the feel and playability of the game. Anyway I still thinks it's only fair to point out bad art design that caused a game to age far worse than other games on the same system.

I always rate a game on how well it plays but sometimes flaws are more acceptable when something provides a new experience but aren't acceptable nowadays. Look at all the really early polygon games, I'm talking about 16-bit and beforehand. These games were amazing for their time and back then I could play stuff like that for ages to see how far the hardware has been pushed. Even now it's great to look back and see what people managed to do on these machines but they aren't much fun to play now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

o1s1n wrote: »
    Awh, i miss that marcuspheonix dude with his made up games :(

Oh they visit from time to time get site banned....and come back again. :pac:

Advertisement