Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford in the War of Independence

Options
  • 23-12-2010 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I am looking for information about Longford's role in the War of Indepence. I have received a copy of my grandfather's (Michael F Heslin) Witness Statement to the Defence Dept and have been reading books on the subject and would like to find info/photos that haven't necessarily already been published. Granddad was the adjutant/intelligence officer of the Longford Brigade and much is made of the post office (presumably the building at 43, Main St, L'ford) and the employees at the time (Miss K Cooney, Miss Madden, Miss Monaghan, Mr J Kelly, Mr William Byrne and Mr Joe Skeffington) who intercepted British letters and telegrams. Do these names mean anything to anyone? Does anyon know much about Longford's role in the war? There are loads of specifics I want to find out but baby steps for now! Many thanks in advance and here's to a happy festive season for all!

Comments

Advertisement