Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to create OS image for easy reinstall?

• 23-12-2010 6:57pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I usually reinstall windows every 6 months or so to keep things fresh, but its a pain to do and I want an easier way. In work, we have a custom image that is basically installed on the PC - where upon restart I have a boot loaded option, and if I want it just refreshes this image back on for a clean install.

I'm about to wipe and reinstall, what I want to do is get my PC working perfectly with programs and settings, then make it so that I can easily re-image back to this state whenever I want. Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to do this?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

All versions of Windows 7 and Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate come with a system image feature as part of backup and restore. (Windows XP doesn't).

There are third-party applications out there, but I've never used them, so I can't give you any recommendations.

Windows Vista
    Back up your programs, system settings, and files
    Restore your computer from a system image backup

Windows 7
    Back up your programs, system settings, and files
    Restore your computer from a system image backup

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks, I'm on XP home :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

I use R-Drive. Fantastic program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Almost not worth it @ every 6 months. May as well install from scratch. Everything has to be updated anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Install XP, get all the updates (SP3 etc), install software which won't likely be updated much in future and configure XP to your liking. This will be your base installation.

Then use a partition manager to create a backup of the partition this base installation is on, also backing up the MBR.

I have used Paragon Partition full version and it supports compressing the backup file, splitting to burn across multiple DVDs, save to a network location etc.

You can then use the Partition software's pre windows environment software to restore the base installation in future.

There should be lots of free drive image / backing up software solutions available.

One method might be to use a Linux based solution, so when you what to restore the base installation in future, you could just run a Linux live CD, and point it to the backup file on an external hard drive.

Paragon Partition Manager 11 Free Edition
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/

EASEUS Partition Master (Free)
    http://www.partition-tool.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I use Acronis for the very same. I got a legit copy of the older version 10 that works fine (someone posted a magazine special offer here last year). I made an image of my fully updated fresh install of Windows 7 with a few basic programs last Feb and I've reinstalled twice from that image in this space of time, can reinstall in 12mins

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can install ntbackup in xp home

if you do a full backup including system state you can do a clean xp install and restore the backup

clonezilla bootable CD will image the drive for you handy

best advice is to have a small system partition C: and keep data and programs on D: , you need ot image C: whilie D: can just be copied / pasted

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All versions of Windows 7 and Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate come with a system image feature as part of backup and restore. (Windows XP doesn't).
    ASR handles this in XP

it isn't included in XP home , because like Vista home and 7 home users will find that the only fix for some corrupt registry problems is a clean install

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I use Terabyte Image For Windows\DOS\Linux, and have used it on XP, Vista and Windows 7, without any trouble at all during the past few years.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/products.htm

Advertisement