Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas traffic!!!

Options
  • 23-12-2010 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Going into town today took like an hour and a half, once passed the lights outside bon secours hospital.... nothing. straight into town no problem and it wasn't even that busy. Why the hell is it so bad around there and mervue? is it down to bad sequencing of the traffic lights or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

Went out towards ballybrit today around 3 and there was a traffic jam from terryland dunnes the whole way back along the dual carriage way heading into town, and at the round about there there was a digger that had slipped off the back of a tractor's trailer. exciting stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Was about to post about this...

WTF was up with traffic today? Inner town was mental.

Taylors Hill/Sea Road/Fr Griffin Road/St Marys Road/Newcastle - bumper to bumper. It was absolutily mental. This was between 12 noon - 1pm. Possible that all schools were getting off at same time for hols, might contribute to it

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Cycle!!! No traffic then!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Don't know about the other workers around here but my place of work was pretty quiet in terms of staff being in today. Other places around us seemed to have pretty empty car parks too. My guess would be that alot of people had to make a mad last dash to get stuff because they put it off due to the weather.

I went to Dunnes on Terryland around 8pm and it was crazy busy. I'm glad I got my shopping out of the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Reasons for traffic congestion in Galway:

Too many cars.

Unnecessary use of cars for short trips.

Too many single occupant car trips.

Rampant and uncontrolled illegal parking.

Stupid unsustainable "planning" creating car dependence, high traffic volumes and multiple traffic bottlenecks.

An ineffective and unaccountable Traffic Unit in City Hall.

Insufficient and unreliable public transport.

Sheer unadulterated laziness/stubborness on the part of a large section of the population who live close enough to work, education and commerce to walk, cycle or take the bus but who would rather chew their own arm off than leave their car.

• Advertisement

You forgot the most important one.

Lack of sufficient crossings of the River. There is only one proper road across at Terryland, the other crossings bring you directly through the city centre and aren't big enough to deal with decent volumes of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I went in to Galway today to get some shopping done, nightmare. I gave up and went home.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I dont care what people say-Galway NEEDS a new bridge over the Corrib.People just do not use public transport because as someone already said its too unreliable.I cannot believe they are ripping up Seamus Quirke Rd to build 2 bus lanes each side,was their even a feasability study carried out on it??Bad planning and bad parking also contribute to it but a new route over the Corrib is the only proper way.Waterford has a by-pass,Limerick and Cork have tunnel's built,Galway has......bus lanes-just watch to see which of those cities will have grown the least in the next 5-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Bus lanes and traffic lights are ruining the city. And who came up with traffic lights at roundabouts?:rolleyes:

Aiel wrote: »
    I dont care what people say-Galway NEEDS a new bridge over the Corrib.People just do not use public transport because as someone already said its too unreliable.I cannot believe they are ripping up Seamus Quirke Rd to build 2 bus lanes each side,was their even a feasability study carried out on it??Bad planning and bad parking also contribute to it but a new route over the Corrib is the only proper way.Waterford has a by-pass,Limerick and Cork have tunnel's built,Galway has......bus lanes-just watch to see which of those cities will have grown the least in the next 5-10 years.

I think another problem people neglect to consider is the weather. It's all well and good saying cycling is the best method but it's pissing here all the time.

Same for buses, for me to get to GMIT i'd have to walk to eyre square which is 15-20mins away, it's get soaked most days, a rail or tube service would be much better then buses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

If you wear appropriate gear cycling is no hassle, I always have a backpack and stick my clothes in that and put my nice ones on for town. It's so easy, cheap and leads to me being really fit without paying for expensive gym membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

If you wear appropriate gear cycling is no hassle, I always have a backpack and stick my clothes in that and put my nice ones on for town. It's so easy, cheap and leads to me being really fit without paying for expensive gym membership.

Yep,
    The weather is something that can be "bypassed" however, personally the biggest issue, putting me off cycling was the fact that I'd be sweating/stinking like a mofo after my commute. No shower facilities at work and "smelliness" would be an issue. I suppose there is the virtual shower option.
    Another more minor issue, is the lack of adequate storage and security for bikes at most workplaces/public areas.
    Should those two be improved I would see a lot more people cycling.

All that being said, was in Halfords yesterday and will be purchasing a bike in Jan to commute. Gonna be mixing the cycling up with running.

It's a busy time for traffic in any major city, Galway is no different, especially with the weather and the afformentioned "accident" defo would not have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I no longer cycle as much as I used, I've a child and am heavily pregnant, I'd look ridiculous!!! Anyway, I think if dressed properly you sweat less, also once I got really fit I found I didn't much. Storage, I used bring it into my classroom up steps!!! I saved so much money but ss, ain't gona happen now with my bump and baby!

You forgot the most important one. Lack of sufficient crossings of the River. There is only one proper road across at Terryland, the other crossings bring you directly through the city centre and aren't big enough to deal with decent volumes of traffic.
    Aiel wrote: »

I didn't forget the notion that Galway "NEEDS" another river crossing. I deliberately left it out in order to focus on what I believe are key issues that need to be addressed first, and in a more sustainable way.

So there is "only one proper road" across the Corrib? Tell me this (and please note that these are serious questions):
    • What makes a road a "proper road"?
    • What was the Quincentenary Bridge intended to achieve traffic-wise when it was constructed in the 1980s?
    • What occurred, in terms of city development and car use within ten years of its opening, and subsequently?
    • With reference to Irish "planning" practices, what is likely to occur, in the city centre and around the periphery, if a Bypass is constructed?

There used to be a boast commonly heard during the lunatic bubble years: "Galway is the fastest-growing city in Europe".

• What is the nature and purpose of growing a city like Galway?
    • Now that we, our children, and possibly even our grand-children have been saddled with a colossal debt that will cause enormous damage to our country, what have we (you) learned about urban development and sustainability?

Finally, with regard to public transport:
    • With reference to all the above, what are the factors that make public transport attractive, efficient and reliable?

I no longer cycle as much as I used, I've a child and am heavily pregnant, I'd look ridiculous!!! Anyway, I think if dressed properly you sweat less, also once I got really fit I found I didn't much. Storage, I used bring it into my classroom up steps!!! I saved so much money but ss, ain't gona happen now with my bump and baby!

No, you wouldn't. You'd look beautiful. :)

866756384_e2b5e35a56.jpg

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Bus lanes and traffic lights are ruining the city. And who came up with traffic lights at roundabouts?:rolleyes:

Who came up with roundabouts? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Our urban density is too low for a substainable public transport like a light rail system, a better bus system is probably the only means that might improve things, but even that would require a better / improved road structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Ah Iwannahurl, you're gas! I'd never look that good! You made me laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Iwannahurl wrote: »

So there is "only one proper road" across the Corrib? Tell me this (and please note that these are serious questions):
    • What makes a road a "proper road"?
    • What was the Quincentenary Bridge intended to achieve traffic-wise when it was constructed in the 1980s?
    • What occurred, in terms of city development and car use within ten years of its opening, and subsequently?
    • With reference to Irish "planning" practices, what is likely to occur, in the city centre and around the periphery, if a Bypass is constructed?

Exactly, I couldn't have put it better myself!

Finally, with regard to public transport:
    • With reference to all the above, what are the factors that make public transport attractive, efficient and reliable?

IMHO high-frequency is one of the major factors that has made route 9 effective. If a service runs every 15 minutes (or even better every 10), then one missed bus only hold people up by 1/4 of an hour. But if the frequency is less, then the potential delay is a lot longer.

Also, I like to think that I've helped to make Galway's public transport attractive ;) But it's ridiculous that comprehensive on-line information has to be provided by the private sector.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Our urban density is too low for a substainable public transport like a light rail system, a better bus system is probably the only means that might improve things, but even that would require a better / improved road structure.

The existing road structure is already carrying large vehicles, so what else of that nature is needed to facilitate buses? More bus lanes, presumably?

A large part of the problem of bus unreliability is traffic-related: excessive traffic volumes and widespread illegal parking, for example.

Tackling such issues directly is an essential precursor to developing decent bus services. Of course that would require strategic vision, foresight, planning and determination. All in short supply in our local and national government.

Focusing on a Bypass is a populist approach, and one which also appeals to a sector that sees development opportunities in the proposal. Galway City has had more than enough developer-led "planning". Long past time for a new approach.

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    Also, I like to think that I've helped to make Galway's public transport attractive ;)

How? By just being on the bus yourself, perhaps? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The existing road structure is already carrying large vehicles, so what else of that nature is needed to facilitate buses? More bus lanes, presumably?

A large part of the problem of bus unreliability is traffic-related: excessive traffic volumes and widespread illegal parking, for example.

Tackling such issues directly is an essential precursor to developing decent bus services. Of course that would require strategic vision, foresight, planning and determination. All in short supply in our local and national government.

Focusing on a Bypass is a populist approach, and one which also appeals to a sector that sees development opportunities in the proposal. Galway City has had more than enough developer-led "planning". Long past time for a new approach.

The Bypass will remove a large percentage of traffic from the city centre, it's silly that all traffic that has to cross the Corrib has to head towards the inner city in order to do so. The Bypass is not a developer led project , it will help with the flow of traffic in any new developements in the future, but is this not the correct way to do things? In the past, most housing was built west of the Corrib, most people as a result have to use a very narrow coridor of river crossings to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Made the mistake of going into town yesterday after 11am.
    Every car park was full and I instantly regretted not using the park and ride.
    Couldnt be arsed doing the shopping in the end so just going to wait until the 29th and use the park and ride then.

galwayrush wrote: »
    The Bypass will remove a large percentage of traffic from the city centre, it's silly that all traffic that has to cross the Corrib has to head towards the inner city in order to do so. The Bypass is not a developer led project , it will help with the flow of traffic in any new developements in the future, but is this not the correct way to do things? In the past, most housing was built west of the Corrib, most people as a result have to use a very narrow coridor of river crossings to get to work.

1. With regard to the alleged traffic-reducing effects of a new road, may I ask you comment on the issues I raised in my earlier post? I appreciate that there is genuine support for a Bypass. However, I would like to understand how such support relates to perceptions regarding other issues.

2. Given that this country is now effectively bankrupt, is it not the case that we can't afford a Bypass even if it wasn't tied up with legal wrangling? In the meantime, are there other ways to remove a substantial amount of traffic from the city centre? Have those other possibilities been explored? How might those other ways compare with a Bypass in terms of (a) cost to the taxpayer and (b) long-term sustainable development?

3. If the Bypass itself is not developer-led, what about the potential development that a Bypass might make possible? Would you concur with the view that a Bypass will encourage development in its immediate vicinity, and also within the city centre (eg Ceannt Station/Docklands) that might otherwise be stymied by traffic management issues?

And if the proposed Bypass would not be a bonanza for developers (in a non-NAMA world), how do you explain the following? In early 2007, local auctioneer Joe Greaney, a director of Keane Mahony Smith, was given two whole pages in the Galway Advertiser to tell us "What's Down The Road For Galway". Here's an excerpt:
    Galway City and County is governed by development plans which have plan boundaries. If we were to compare what is happening in other towns and cities that have been bypassed, land tends to become zoned inside the ring road, bypass, etc and these roads tend to become the new plan boundary. Areas in Knocknacarra, Bushypark, Menlo, Castlegar, Barna and Briarhill will be opened up. Already there is a local area plan being prepared for a section of land between the Monivea Road, the Tuam Road and the Parkmore Road and inside the GCOB.
    If new areas are zoned for development as described above, what effect will this have on "flow of traffic" generally? Will the effect of an Outer Bypass and a new bridge over the river (costed at €300 million or so a couple of years ago) really be to permanently and sustainably relieve Galway's human-made traffic congestion?

4. Are you aware of the phenomenon whereby roads constructed to relieve traffic in such situations actually end up generating as much traffic as they were intended to relieve, if not more? The US Environmental Protection Agency concluded over a decade ago that "building more road capacity will, in the long run, not solve congestion problems" (Relationships between highway capacity and induced vehicle travel, 1999). Building more roads relieves traffic congestion temporarily but eventually, and a lot sooner than many people might hope, more car travel is encouraged and new opportunities for car-dependent 'development' are created. This is a well-recognised and well-established phenomenon called "induced traffic".

5. Rivers are natural phenomena; traffic isn't. The Corrib was there before the "planners" arrived, and so they should have noticed long ago that there was a need to develop the city accordingly. You say that "in the past, most housing was built west of the Corrib". Who made those "planning" decisions? Are they long gone, having been replaced by "planners" and policy-makers with different priorities and a more coherent and sustainable vision? Or could it possibly be the case that they, or their ilk, are still around? If the latter, how can we be sure that what they have in mind regarding the Bypass is not more unsustainable car-dependent development? Why should any sane person, in the fallout from the preposterous "Celtic Tiger" fraud, trust these people?

6. Happy Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

How? By just being on the bus yourself, perhaps? ;)

She created this great site.
    http://www.galwaytransport.info/

Now she has at least tried to help the problem and inform people of the options.
    You however have only provided an argument about developer lead planning and hurler in the ditch sniping, see above quote.

skelliser wrote: »
    She created this great site.
    http://www.galwaytransport.info/

Now she has at least tried to help the problem and inform people of the options.
    You however have only provided an argument about developer lead planning and hurler in the ditch sniping, see above quote.

Well, just goes to show how even mild attempts at humour (in this case responding in kind) can be completely misread on Boards! :eek:

I wasn't aware of her website (how could I be?), and had she included the link along with her ;) I would have immediately visited the website and no doubt concurred with your opinion of it. :)

I have nothing negative to say about JustMary. In fact, I imagine she and I would be in agreement on many issues, especially re public transport. Why try to infer that there is such conflict or criticism when none exists?

I can assure you both that I was not criticising JustMary in any way.

Your attempt to reduce my carefully-considered posts and 1000+ words on the subject to "an argument about developer led planning" and "hurler in the ditch sniping" suggests that (a) you have not carefully read what I wrote, and (b) you have no equally considered answers to the questions I raised.

By the way, why "hurler in the ditch"?

Caliden wrote: »
    Every car park was full and I instantly regretted not using the park and ride.
    Couldnt be arsed doing the shopping in the end so just going to wait until the 29th and use the park and ride then.

I believe that the P&R finished on Christmas Eve (though interestingly I can't find a link to anything that confirms it). Hopefully traffic won't be so hell-ish by the 29th though.

I wasn't aware of her website (how could I be?), and had she included the link along with her ;)

I'm curious - does my boards.ie signature show at the bottom of this post when you're logged in? I see a big maroon rectangle with a little bus & hooker-sail logo and some words, but maybe some people have images blocked?

FWIW, I believe there is some developer-led planning related to the proposed bypass. I can't quote 'em, but have been told that there are tracts of land that will be opened up for development when/if the bypass route is built. This wouldn't surprise me, and your point about what happened when the last bypass (the road I call the Eastern Distributor Rd, 'cos I can't say it's Irish name) was opened is very relevant.

That said, I do think that a major route over the Corrib would be highly desirable, since the chances of getting major workplaces to locate in the west of the city seem to be close to nil, and one accident on the bridge can basically close the whole city down. And in the midst of a major recession is the best time to build a project like this: competition for work keeps the prices down and the contractors focussed.

JustMary wrote: »
    I'm curious - does my boards.ie signature show at the bottom of this post when you're logged in? I see a big maroon rectangle with a little bus & hooker-sail logo and some words, but maybe some people have images blocked?

FWIW, I believe there is some developer-led planning related to the proposed bypass. I can't quote 'em, but have been told that there are tracts of land that will be opened up for development when/if the bypass route is built. This wouldn't surprise me, and your point about what happened when the last bypass (the road I call the Eastern Distributor Rd, 'cos I can't say it's Irish name) was opened is very relevant.

That said, I do think that a major route over the Corrib would be highly desirable, since the chances of getting major workplaces to locate in the west of the city seem to be close to nil, and one accident on the bridge can basically close the whole city down. And in the midst of a major recession is the best time to build a project like this: competition for work keeps the prices down and the contractors focussed.

Hi.

I was only online trying to get info about the water supply being cut off in certain areas. That, and possible fixes for frozen pipes!

Saw the new posts in this thread and reckoned I may as well respond.

Sorry, I can't see any rectangles or hookers.

What is the evidence that (a) major employers currently don't want to locate west of the Corrib purely because there is no bypass, and (b) that building a bypass would lead to such companies locating on that side of the city?

What analysis has been done on the possible effects of generated traffic and induced travel? How have such analyses been accounted for in the 'business case' for a Bypass?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_demand
    http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Point taken re a recession being a good opportunity to get value for money. Does the same principle apply to other developing other infrastructure, such as public transport? And given that the current recession has come hard on the heels of a disastrous speculation-dominated bubble, would now be a good time to re-think our whole attitude to sustainability in the areas of spatial planning and transport policies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Public transport doesn't suit a lot of people, if you live in the city and work on the outskirts then yes, but the majority of buses have to go through eyre square.
    4. Are you aware of the phenomenon whereby roads constructed to relieve traffic in such situations actually end up generating as much traffic as they were intended to relieve, if not more? The US Environmental Protection Agency concluded over a decade ago that "building more road capacity will, in the long run, not solve congestion problems" (Relationships between highway capacity and induced vehicle travel, 1999). Building more roads relieves traffic congestion temporarily but eventually, and a lot sooner than many people might hope, more car travel is encouraged and new opportunities for car-dependent 'development' are created. This is a well-recognised and well-established phenomenon called "induced traffic".

And likewise not building these roads achieves nothing to reduce the congestion so I don't buy it as a reason not to proceed with it. Obviously a new road will get developed around it, thats not a surprise

Advertisement