Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transferring files from mac to PS3

• 23-12-2010 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Hey, I wanna transfer a couple of HD movie files from my mac to view it on my PS3 and I wanna know what would be the fastest way to do this?

Problem is I don't have a flash drive big enough to store the movie files. They're 1080i so they're fairly big (>4GB each). I'm doing it through the PS3 Media server but its taking forever!

Would you guys know a better way to transfer files from my mac onto the PS3 without the use of external drives??

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

I'm afraid thats the only way mate, apart from using Opera Unite which does the same thing

I've tried other more advanced options, and lost all my data :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Install Yellow Dog Linux onto the PS3, boot it, install rsync and ssh clients on both machines, ensure both networked machines are in the same subnet, then type this into the Mac Bash cli:
    rsync -avz -e ssh <your file_names_here> your.name@PS3_network_address:~

Where the -a flag represents archival mode(preserve permissions, ensure timestamp integrity ect) -v represents verbose output(i.e print lots of information about the transfer), -z means compression enabled, and -e specifies the
    transport shell/means(we want to use ssh). ~ represents the users home directory, so you transfer the files on the Mac from the current working directory to the home dir on the PS3 machine. You could also setup a bare ftp server/nfs server on the PS3 yellow dog instance which the Mac could connect to. Not Secure without using something like fancy Kerberos authentication, but faster than the method above with no encryption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^Err...
    That's looks quite complicated for someone with my amount of computer skill to do. I'm pretty sure I'll screw something up somewhere.

I think I'll stick with sending files over the Media Manager. Its painfully slow but it sorta works... Until I manage to get a bigger flash drive which my PS3 can recognise and I can transfer the movies over it...

Advertisement