Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cold enough to freeze beer?

Options
  • 23-12-2010 8:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

if I left a slab of carslberg on the balcony over night, would it freeze by the morning? be handier than leaving it all in the fridge, but flatmate is kinda worried they'd all freeze and explode

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

if I left a slab of carslberg on the balcony over night, would it freeze by the morning? be handier than leaving it all in the fridge, but flatmate is kinda worried they'd all freeze and explode
    First, love your username
    Second, probably yes, it would freeze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Think beer freezes about -3ish depending on the alcohol content. Always tastes a bit odd after you thaw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

be surprised if it wasnt frozen, alcohol lowers the freezing point, but there isnt a whole lot of alcohol in beer 4.5% usually, so its mostly water

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

bugger anyway

well thanks all

no problem, vodka at 40% will get slushy as the 60% of water kinda freezes around it so beer at 4.5% id say definetly be frozen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

You wouldn't put beer in the freezer would you?

You wouldn't put beer in the freezer would you?
    ya would for 30 minutes if you want it very cold ya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Potin is the only safe option in this weather:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Well...

I did it with a crate of Heineken that I got from work (mmmm the best kind of beer, free!)

Now it hasn't it frozen solid in the bottle, but the other night, I opened one, took a swig, it was lovely and frosty. But then I put it down on the counter, I misjudged it, and plonked it down harder than intended so that it foamed up. Boom, instant frozen. Looked cool, but harder to drink.

actually, on this subject.. i had completely forgotten I left a 2ltr bottle of coke on the balcony last night around 3am. it was grand at noon, and I had a glass out of it every few hours.. checked it again there now and it's still completely liquid.

maybe the beer would be ok

i'll leave one can out there tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Jagle wrote: »
    no problem, vodka at 40% will get slushy as the 60% of water kinda freezes around it so beer at 4.5% id say definetly be frozen

i completely froze a bottle of champagne in an ice box in a fridge by mistake one year..:o

took it out and defrosted it and cork went for miles when i opened it!!

tasted fine too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I would say unless you are having it for brekfast in the morning
    just put it out an hour or so before you drink it even day time temps in the shade would be colder than the fridge.

Jaysus, you must have some cold freezer.

Ethanol freezes as -114.1 C, and ethanol is the primary agent in vodka. It would take around -34.4 C (give or take) to freeze Solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Jaysus, you must have some cold freezer.

Ethanol freezes as -114.1 C, and ethanol is the primary agent in vodka. It would take around -34.4 C (give or take) to freeze Solid.

he didnt say solid! a freezer is usually -18 so it would probably make it slushy all right . . .

he didnt say solid! a freezer is usually -18 so it would probably make it slushy all right . . .

:o

That'll teach me to read things in full before I go off on a "I know stuff" tangent.

I do apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Caitriona

I keep an emergency stash of small bottles of Pepsi Max in the car and they've all frozen solid. I opened a frozen on the other day without noticing and it exploded spectacularly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Nope, my missus stores hers in the freezer, never gets slushy, just cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Next time just put them in the fridge instead of the balcony!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

The balcony is grand, lately I've just been dumping my beer in the garden into a pile of snow, lovely cold cans :cool:

I just grabbed a 4 pack from the garden & plonked them at the window, perfect... They won't freeze overnight, don't worry.
    CiaranC wrote: »
    Nope, my missus stores hers in the freezer, never gets slushy, just cold.
    Must be a warm freezer, mine freezes cans in about 1 hour, you can't beat the snow method, just don't tell the neighbours :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

whitesands wrote: »
    The balcony is grand, lately I've just been dumping my beer in the garden into a pile of snow, lovely cold cans :cool:

I just grabbed a 4 pack from the garden & plonked them at the window, perfect... They won't freeze overnight, don't worry.

Must be a warm freezer, mine freezes cans in about 1 hour, you can't beat the snow method, just don't tell the neighbours :D

Vodka, not beer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

D036EB3BF4FA4FB2B3043F7520E81EA9-800.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

whitesands wrote: »

I think he meant vodka.

edit: oops already answered!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

hav me cans in shed ready for 2morra nite, its colder than the fridge:D
    water froze few times, wooden windows in house frozen solid all week and back door of the house keeps freezin shut with the condesation running down it & me cock got frostbitten twice so i'd say its to cold for leaving out cans:pac:

Well it didn't freeze out there but I gave one of the cans a knock on the way inside and I'm pretty sure it started to freeze there and then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

ya would for 30 minutes if you want it very cold ya

Yes but OP was saying all night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I've had beer buried in the snow for 2 days and just checked now. Not one is frozen or slushy. I've put beer out overnight lots of times in well colder conditions than here and it's been grand. And i have left vodka in the freezer for days, sometimes weeks and it has never gone slushy either. Yis must be buying cheap vodka.

Advertisement