Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor tap leaking - frozen mountain around it!

• 23-12-2010 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

Just saw that the tap outside my kitchen window has a mountain of ice frozen from it to the ground, and over the drain underneath it. The tap was leaking before but I got a plumber to have a look at it and thought (wrongly) that it was fixed. Can this cause damage inside the house? Inside the house is warm, and I've the heating on timer so it stays warm even when I'm not here.

I was going to melt it, but it's literally a few feet high and about 2 feet diameter at the base of solid ice, so I don't know if pouring more water on it will just add to the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Take a photo and post if you can, I'd love to see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Truff Puff

use a blow torch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

the tap or pipe may have burst due to expanding ice
    your problems will begin when the thaw sets in and leaks develop
    luckily it is outside so you should have no water inside
    others may not be so lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

open the tap and pour some hot water over it, then if you want, temporary fix is to turn off the mains, take the tap off and put a stopend on it so you have no outside tap! or disconnect it from inside and fit a ballofix on so you can turn it off in the winter etc.

Advertisement