Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fluorescent light fitting with plug - advice please

Options
  • 23-12-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

I need artificial lighting to allow me to grow plants from seed indoors at this time of the year. Can anyone give me some advice? I’m looking for a twin fluorescent light fitting that I can hang from chains. Idea being that I can raise the light as the seedlings grow. I don’t want something that is permanently wired to the mains. Is it possible to buy fittings with a cable and plug already fitted and where would I get one? The usual large hardware stores seem to only stock fittings that require wiring. I suppose it would be 5 foot long. Would I be right in thinking that it would only cost cents not euros to run these say for 16 hours a day? Any other advise much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

redser7 wrote: »
    I need artificial lighting to allow me to grow plants from seed indoors at this time of the year. Can anyone give me some advice? I’m looking for a twin fluorescent light fitting that I can hang from chains. Idea being that I can raise the light as the seedlings grow. I don’t want something that is permanently wired to the mains. Is it possible to buy fittings with a cable and plug already fitted and where would I get one? The usual large hardware stores seem to only stock fittings that require wiring. I suppose it would be 5 foot long. Would I be right in thinking that it would only cost cents not euros to run these say for 16 hours a day? Any other advise much appreciated. Thanks!

You will probably need to get a light fitting and some flex and a plug, and make it up yourself, or get someone to put it together for you. Even if there are fittings already made with a flex and plug, it will be cheaper to make it up yourself or get someone you know to do it.

I think them 5 foot flourescent tubes are 58 watts, so a single tube one would be about 18 cent including the vat for each 16 hour day to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

58 watt twin corrosion proof fitting would suit this. you could buy everything you need in you local electric wholesaler, inc some jack chain and hooks to hang it. the corrosion proof fitting is enclosed so will stand up to the odd knock when your moving it around. the fitting will cost approx 25 euro plus the cost of the lamps and bits. i would suggest gro lux lamps as they are designed for this purpose.
    also most wholesalers would put all this together for ye at no extra cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sounds ideal alright, so that would be 36 cent running cost for the 16 hour day anyway, or just under that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'm doing something similar. I bought a double tube fitting for about 20 quid and got some light chain in woodies. I wired the light myself, it's really easy to do if you're anyway competent.

The standard fluorescent tubes will work just fine but will need to be literally touching the plants to work effectively.

I haven't made up my mind what to do about a light reflector hood for the lights but I will probably make something out of cardboard and glued on tinfoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Lads that's perfect, thanks a lot. Cheaper than I thought it would be too.
    Any recommendation for where I could get the fitting? I'm in North Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

REW are in finglas, off the Jamestown road. Ring around any electrical wholesalers in your area and compare prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

loads of wholesalers in ncd, but prob wont get anything this side of the new year. we closed thurs and so have any place we deal with. plus with all the snow any place that might have been open friday will prob be closed.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

it might be worthwhile to look into using flourescent tubes that emit the specific wavelength of light required for plant growth - Iread about that here: http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/fluorescent.html

Also, for energy efficiency, T5 lights are better than T8 as the tubes are more efficient, and there is electronic control gear rather than magnetic with starters - well worth your while in terms of energy consumption...

Thanks a lot for that

• Advertisement
Advertisement