Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disabled parking in The Park,Carrickmines

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭My.testicals

bungler wrote: »
    I agree, when my father is with me and i need to get something for me ill park in a normal space and run over to the shops, the disbaled space should only be used by a disabled person who wishes to use the facility

but that very rarely happens, in my time on the road i have actually saw a young couple(23ish) get out of a porsche and run for the bus.. not only are they taking up a disable persons space but because of the blue bafge they get to park for free...now i dont like my job as a clamper i do it out of necessity.. but i would have taken great pleasure put of clamping that one, but i couldnt because of the blue badge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

but that very rarely happens, in my time on the road i have actually saw a young couple(23ish) get out of a porsche and run for the bus.. not only are they taking up a disable persons space but because of the blue bafge they get to park for free...now i dont like my job as a clamper i do it out of necessity.. but i would have taken great pleasure put of clamping that one, but i couldnt because of the blue badge

My fathers doctor was telling him that one of his patients was disabled and had the blue badge but his brother took it one day and used it and was caught and the badge was taken off the brother which left him without any pass, they should be allowed fine the people who mis use it also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is there no way of reporting someone for misuse of the badge?

Anan1 wrote: »

If a Guard or traffic wardens spots you then can ask to see the badge and see if its you in the picture and if its not they can fine you €80 but if its reported they'll hardly wait all day for you to come back so its a bit of a grey area because they have to catch you and your hardly going to try put up a fake badge or your relatives if front of a guard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Anan1 wrote: »

Yes you can report the user to the Irish Wheelchair Association who are one of the agencies that provide them. Each blue badge has a number on the front of it and also a photo of the disabled person on the back.

I was asked on one occasion by a clamper to show them the photo. I have also due to no spaces being available had to park in places I shouldnt and have been grateful that the clampers didnt clamp me when they seen the blue badge.

Also remember that just because a person doesnt appear to be disabled does not mean they dont have a disability they may for example be using a prosthetic leg.

Seing as Savills Dublin are the managing agent. does anyone think they would ever do anything about it or will they just do what they have over the past few weeks and just keep ignoring the situation. Or do they even have an obliguation to do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭My.testicals

Seing as Savills Dublin are the managing agent. does anyone think they would ever do anything about it or will they just do what they have over the past few weeks and just keep ignoring the situation. Or do they even have an obliguation to do anything?

with such a big retail centre, you will never fully stop all of the abuse. all you could hope for is that word gets round the area that the clampers are in, thats the only way to reduce it..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My two cents. I have MS for ten years and held out against applying for a badge until last year. When I get out of the car, I might look ok, a limp, but can walk a short distance. However,once I get any way warm or tired, I am barely able to walk and have,at times, had to sit on the ground,before continuing back to the car.

I have seen many people whose only disability is laziness. I recently got a fine, because I had to park im a loading bay as the only disabled space was taken by a car-with no badge-which of course,got no ticket.
    The worst of all is the person who parks perpendicularly across two spots and puts on the hazards.I have, at times, parked outside these people and left the car,blocking them in."I'm olny here for a minute" is what I get told, so i tell them I'm only going to be a minute too. Works every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Also remember that just because a person doesnt appear to be disabled does not mean they dont have a disability they may for example be using a prosthetic leg.

Fair enough but I would always look in the window first for the badge before judging. If you want the right to park there get the badge. I'm sure its easy to get one if you or someone in your vehicle is disabled. My local small shop has two disabled spots outside their front door, regularly you see non disabled people park there and go in the shop. I have even seen a disabled person drive up and the two spots were full fair fecks to him he parked his car length ways behind them and got out gave out to them and went off for 15 minutes leaving them blocked in. In his position I would have done the same but for longer.

I have seen a woman in her 50's park in the mother and child parking spots beneath Superquinn Lucan, I'm sure she is a mother but she had no child with her, therefore consigning a mother with a baby to a regular tight spot further away it was the last available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

I dont know why the Guards are saying they cant do anything. A shopping centre car park falls under the legal definition of a Public Place in the Road Traffic act.

I used to do Security for EuroCarParks and the gardai regularly came into car parks where I worked and issued fines for disabled bay parking, failure to display a current tax disk etc.

cronin_j wrote: »
    I dont know why the Guards are saying they cant do anything. A shopping centre car park falls under the legal definition of a Public Place in the Road Traffic act.

I used to do Security for EuroCarParks and the gardai regularly came into car parks where I worked and issued fines for disabled bay parking, failure to display a current tax disk etc.

Below i will paste a section from the citizens information website saying that guards will not do any thing

"Private car park operators are responsible for policing the use of designated disabled parking bays in their own car parks and cars parked illegally in these bays may be clamped. Fees for release will vary depending on the operator. Gardai and traffic wardens will not issue tickets for cars illegally parked in disabled parking spaces in a private car park. " Here is the link also http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/traffic_and_parking/parking_facilities_for_people_with_disabilities.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Good, even if some of the tickets get town out in court most will learn not to do it again. The hassle of getting the ticket overturned would probably put them off doing it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Below i will paste a section from the citizens information website saying that guards will not do any thing

"Private car park operators are responsible for policing the use of designated disabled parking bays in their own car parks and cars parked illegally in these bays may be clamped. Fees for release will vary depending on the operator. Gardai and traffic wardens will not issue tickets for cars illegally parked in disabled parking spaces in a private car park. " Here is the link also http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/traffic_and_parking/parking_facilities_for_people_with_disabilities.html

The thing is they can if they want. If there is no barriers on the entrance, then its legally defined as a public place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I have never parked in one and never would. Clicked the wrong option in the poll.
    Some people seem to have a fear of walking. You see them driving around slowly looking for a space when the entire next aisle is free.

The thing is they can if they want. If there is no barriers on the entrance, then its legally defined as a public place.

They dont have barriers were you have to get a ticket and the barrier but they do have barriers that they close at night, dont know if that makes a difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It may be a public place in that you need a driving licence and you can't drive around with drink on you but signs like zebra crossings, disabled bays and stop/yield lines painted on the road have no legal effect because they were not put there by a local authority.

Public place and public road are two different things, signs painted on private property cannot be enforced by the Gardai.

They dont have barriers were you have to get a ticket and the barrier but they do have barriers that they close at night, dont know if that makes a difference?

It doesn't matter if there are barriers, it doesn't even matter if you have to pay to enter, what makes it a public place is if at the time in question the public have access with vehicles.

S.3 Road Traffic Act 1961

“public place” means any street, road or other place to which the public have access with vehicles whether as of right or by permission and whether subject to or free of charge;

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0003.html#sec3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Off topic, but god you'd have to have nothing better to do. Was coming out a concert one night down the country and the Gardai directing people out were checking tax disc's as they were directing, delaying us by a good 15 / 20 minutes. Theres a time and place for those sort of checks.
    S.3 Road Traffic Act 1961

“public place” means any street, road or other place to which the public have access with vehicles whether as of right or by permission and whether subject to or free of charge;

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/...0003.html#sec3

Would the fact that is a non-goverment funded and maintained place not over rule that? I can see it in black and white, but enforcement wise? How does that no effect learner drivers on Sundays in car parks? Surely driving without a licence in a public place etc would be a gold mine for the Gardai etc. Interesting legal field...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

coylemj wrote: »
    signs like zebra crossings, disabled bays and stop/yield lines painted on the road have no legal effect because they were not put there by a local authority.

So if I knock someone down on a zebra crossing or crash into someone after ignoring a stop sign, I'm good in the eyes of the law ?

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    So if I knock someone down on a zebra crossing or crash into someone after ignoring a stop sign, I'm good in the eyes of the law ?

No, in the first case you'd rightfully be done for dangerous driving in a public place but you couldn't be prosecuted for not stopping at a zebra crossing because in law it's just black and white stripes painted on private property.

In the second hypothetical incident the other guy would have a cast iron case against you in a civil case because people would be expected to observe traffic signs in a shopping centre or any other public car park but not because they had any legal effect in terms of the possibility of being prosecuted simply for not observing them.

Part of the case against you if you're prosecuted for not obeying traffic signs is that you are in breach of some local by-law because the local authority or the Garda Commissioner has signed regulations giving effect to those signs and they only have jurisdiction to do this in respect of public roads, defined as a road the maintenance of which lies with the local authority.

So the rules about having a driving licence and not driving while drunk do apply in a shopping centre car park because it's a public place but the Gardai cannot enforce traffic signs because it's not a public road.

• Advertisement

No, in the first case you'd rightfully be done for dangerous driving in a public place but you couldn't be prosecuted for not stopping at a zebra crossing because in law it's just black and white stripes painted on private property.

What if pedestrians assume they have right away on these black and White stripes ? Sounds more like dangerous crossing than dangerous driving.
    In the second hypothetical incident the other guy would have a cast iron case against you in a civil case because people would be expected to observe traffic signs in a shopping centre or any other public car park but not because they had any legal effect in terms of the possibility of being prosecuted simply for not observing them.

Why ? They're just coloured symbols on sticks if I follow your logic on the zebra crossings.

Part of the case against you if you're prosecuted for not obeying traffic signs is that you are in breach of some local by-law because the local authority or the Garda Commissioner has signed regulations giving effect to those signs and they only have jurisdiction to do this in respect of public roads, defined as a road the maintenance of which lies with the local authority.

Therefore, they do have legal status.
    Make up your mind.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    What if pedestrians assume they have right away on these black and White stripes ? Sounds more like dangerous crossing than dangerous driving.

Why ? They're just coloured symbols on sticks if I follow your logic on the zebra crossings.

Therefore, they do have legal status.
    Make up your mind.

Read what I said, if the signs are on private property they can't be enforced by the Gardai. If a pedestrian sticks his foot out on a zebra crossing in a shopping centre car park indicating that he wants to cross but he hasn't started to cross and a driver sails through without stopping, the driver is not committing any offence under the law.

If a pedestrian is crossing on such a zebra crossing and a driver knocks him down, the driver wouldn't have a leg to stand on in terms on claiming that he had the right to drive anywhere he wanted to and the courts would probably convict him of dangerous driving because he should have known that black and white stripes on the road are a place where drivers are expected to give way to pedestrians.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Was coming out a concert one night down the country and the Gardai directing people out were checking tax disc's as they were directing, delaying us by a good 15 / 20 minutes. Theres a time and place for those sort of checks.
    QUOTE]

Just before xmas when the snow was really bad, the guards did a check point at the bottom of a steep hill and kept doing it even tho cars were skidding back down past them, sometimes their priorities are arseways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Just before xmas when the snow was really bad, the guards did a check point at the bottom of a steep hill and kept doing it even tho cars were skidding back down past them, sometimes their priorities are arseways

picard-facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AndyGarcia

You have 2 chances of Savills commercial doing anything about it. i have dealt with them before regarding a commercial property i own and they are useless at what they do in the commercial management

AndyGarcia wrote: »
    You have 2 chances of Savills commercial doing anything about it. i have dealt with them before regarding a commercial property i own and they are useless at what they do in the commercial management

Do they have to do anything? or can it just be ignored?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

I was shopping in Carrickmines recently, and this is what i saw

Also many more of them.

Thanks for the pics generalmental, There is no excuse for that arsehole to park like that but i am glad to see Carrickines finally clamp someone. By any chance do you know if there was a disabled badge on the car?

Thats what makes it more sweet, there was none

• Advertisement

I was up there today, two lads pulled into one of the disabled spots in front of Halfords, at the same time another car pulled into the other disabled space right beside them. They all got out at the same time and one of the lads sort of pointed at the disabled sign, fully acknowledging that it was infact a disabled spot. They hovered about until the family from the car beside them (with a very old lady) left. They then decided "f*ck it* and proceeded into Halfords. Total ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

They then decided "f*ck it* and proceeded into Halfords. Total ****.

Typical Hafrauds customers....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Senna wrote: »
    -person has a disabled badge, but looks no way disabled.
    My great uncle used to get a lot of grief over not looking disabled - he qualified due to a heart condition that meant he could only walk short distances. If they have the badge you have to take it as true, imo.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    My great uncle used to get a lot of grief over not looking disabled - he qualified due to a heart condition that meant he could only walk short distances. If they have the badge you have to take it as true, imo.

not always, i have seen people(23ish) get out of a sports car and run to get the bus, so you cant trust every blue badge

Haha and a Padre Pio sticker on the window. "Padre Pio save us...F*** everyone else"

Advertisement