Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of sorts collie

• 23-12-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all
    First time poster, but regular reader since I got my collie during the summer. I came home today after getting stuck away due to the snow. My partner has been walking him and taking care of him as normal. He was really excited when I came in a few hours ago but has been acting strangely since. He is lying at the back door and won't come in and sit with us. I went out to see if he was ok and he was lying stuck to the back door with his face at the door not looking at me. He hasn't eaten any food since I got back and walked away from his favourite treat (very unusual!) Am I mad to think that he might be acting this way because I was away for the few days?? He is housetrained but had two accidents inside in the past few days. Should I be worried? Could he be getting sick?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

My collie snubs me when I go away for a day or two. Then an hour later if she hasn't gotten over it or come for cuddles, I just give her a treat. Then I'm forgiven :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sounds like there is something up with him if hes going to the toilet inside. Could be a bladder infection (if hes weeing inside) or could be stomach upset (if hes poo'ing inside).
    Is he drinking ok? Could you bring him to the vet for check up? Might be an idea to do this before Christmas in case he got worse over the Christmas and you could find it hard to get a vet thats open.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 1holly1

Thanks for the replies guys. Just went out to him there. Not really sure what he had to drink earlier but he was taking water out of my hand and also had a treat but he still won't come in to us. Called him in for a treat, he took it and ran back out to the door. I'll give the vet a buzz in the morning if he's still acting strange. His poos are normal and he had one outside earlier. Hope he's ok :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭luvdogs

Maybe check him all over in case he has any cuts etc from ice,could have a sore stomach from eating snow maybe!!
    i hate it when they go off form like that so worrying :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Is there anything particularly fascinating outside that he's obsessing over? What happens if you open the back door - give it a go and see if he makes a beeline for something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭luvdogs

Maybe theres a bitch in season in the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 1holly1

Thanks everyone. He came in after that when I called him and was quite happy to have his belly rubbed! I'll keep a close eye on him tomorrow to make sure he's ok but have a feeling he was making sure I felt guilty for being away!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Truff Puff

collies are very intelligent dogs and often take the hump if their master is away. When my brother went to England our collie wouldn't eat or react to us. He never went past the kitchen or hallway and was very well trained but we would find him lying outside my brothers bedroom door and one day he pulled his coat down to lie on. Sounds like nothing to me other then being upset that u went away. They can be moody like humans!

Advertisement