Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nuclear War... Could humans ultimately survive?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You can't fire an ICBM at a plane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Also, if I survived and the world was rampant with zombies, I have SWATs phone number so I could give Chris Redfield and the rest a call.

I know them, we play pool every Friday night and smoke Cuban cigars. Every saturday night I melt the box of Claire Redfield.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Confab wrote: »
    Nope, but Bantry Bay was. The only nuclear target in Ireland.

Explain please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

oh well i dont know about that now, how about an asteroid or a super volcano like that one in yellowstone,or how about a mega tsunami or even an earth crust displacement,not forgetting a good old fashioned solar flare which could wipe out all out electricity and communications for years thus rendering us useless,you see all in all nature has a lot more ways of destroying us than mankind has.

Yeah, but we can't say for sure if and when those things you mention are going to happen. If the world is in a dire need to reduce the global population in the next week, then the nuclear option is the only opinion that can guarantee a reduction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

radiation would get into all water and food supplies so even if you survived the blast youre gonna have an effin rough time of it lasting very much longer, and the road may have been ****(i liked it) its a pretty spot on representation of the roaming gangs and barbarism youd see come into play as the norm, probably all over the world.

Oh and Ireland would be hit if a nuke war were to start. If the yanks get hit, *everyones* getting hit..Mutually Assured Destruction kids...look it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

CorkMan wrote: »
    Also, if I survived and the world was rampant with zombies, I have SWATs phone number so I could give Chris Redfield and the rest a call.

I know them, we play pool every Friday night and smoke Cuban cigars. Every saturday night I melt the box of Claire Redfield.

Fail, its S.T.A.R.S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Nothing like a good seasonal uplifting thread, at this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Generalissimo

Explain please

Bantry Bay = Whiddy Island oil terminal = Ireland's strategic oil reserve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

You can't fire an ICBM at a plane

They were nuclear armed SAMs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Jumpy wrote: »
    I think you mean the crust, and it regularly cracks itself.

It would be the equivalent of poking an elephant with a lit match.
    do that to an elephant and it'll kick you in the head then wall over you a few times before taking a dump on your head for good measure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory

That's the Toba event. About 70,000 years ago, it reduced the population of the planet to less than 10,000 humans, possibly as little as 1000 breeding couples. And yet here we are, back to nearly 7 billion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Nonsense OP. Nuclear holocaust would be the best thing to ever happen to us, as long as it was only the blacks what got killed of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Confab wrote: »
    Nope, but Bantry Bay was. The only nuclear target in Ireland.

I remember my teacher telling us that the Russians would have hit Cork airport if a nuclear war broke out. Don't know where he heard that though or how true it is. I might do a bit of googling to see if there any truth in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I remember my teacher telling us that the Russians would have hit Cork airport if a nuclear war broke out. Don't know where he heard that though or how true it is. I might do a bit of googling to see if there any truth in it.

You are from Cork, thats just Cork's educational system trying to put the city on the map of global importance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Grimes wrote: »
    You are from Cork, thats just Cork's educational system trying to put the city on the map of global importance :D

We don't need to try. We're already on that map.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I don't know about the rest of the universe, but speaking on behalf of Ireland after observing what happens to us when snow falls on us, rest assured we would be absolutely fecked if nuclear war was ever to break out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

baalthor wrote: »
    They were nuclear armed SAMs.

I was visiting the restored Nike-Hercules siteach just north of San francisco and the guide was explaining how the SAM would be fired to intercept soviet bombers about 20 miles from sf. A visitor reacted in shock. ' wouldn't a detonation within 20 miles of the city result in unacceptable fallout?' The guide was struck dumb, I asked the guy just how acceptable the level of fallout would be from a soviet bomb detonating 300m above Golden Gate park.

I was visiting the restored Nike-Hercules siteach just north of San francisco and the guide was explaining how the SAM would be fired to intercept soviet bombers about 20 miles from sf. A visitor reacted in shock. ' wouldn't a detonation within 20 miles of the city result in unacceptable fallout?' The guide was struck dumb, I asked the guy just how acceptable the level of fallout would be from a soviet bomb detonating 300m above Golden Gate park.
    Haha, poor bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Whoever recommended watching 'Threads' earlier - That was massively depressing.

Conor108 wrote: »
    Whoever recommended watching 'Threads' earlier - That was massively depressing.

Not half as bad as When the Wind Blows. Once I watched it as a child, thinking it was watching the Animals of Farthing Wood. You can imagine the resulting emotional damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Yup. Those iodine tablets will save us all :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

"I don't know what weapons would be used in WW3, but that WW4 would be fought with sticks and stones" :)

Also one can find the entire movie of threads here thanks to google video.

Merry Christmas!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Grimes wrote: »
    Not half as bad as When the Wind Blows. Once I watched it as a child, thinking it was watching the Animals of Farthing Wood. You can imagine the resulting emotional damage.

Been there. Still i watched that as a kid and had no nightmares...partly because it only alludes to the horror.

Threads is disturbingly distressing. Only watched that a year ago and cant bring myself to watch it again. The idea of the films theme is actually a worse idea than an appocolypse. You would hope to not survive something like that

Been there. Still i watched that as a kid and had no nightmares...partly because it only alludes to the horror.

I think it was because I was expecting to see Mr Fox and Mr Badger and instead saw a lovely old couple try to survive radiation poisoning ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

I wonder if the US military have devised a way to get around electromagnetic pulses destroying communications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I wonder if the US military have devised a way to get around electromagnetic pulses destroying communications

I solved it....I wrote a note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I solved it....I wrote a note.

Notes may take a while to be delivered :P Also, the unions would be demanding more money to deliver said notes, given all the radiation and such... like the DART drivers going on strike for more money to go to Malahide, and they got it!! any fool looking at a map knows its pretty much the same distance as Howth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I would imagine Shannon could be a target for a nuke... Dublin, I doubt it, no military or strategic function in attacking Ireland

M . O Leary might target T 2:D

Hardened electronics, apparently AF1 has them as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

oh well i dont know about that now, how about an asteroid or a super volcano like that one in yellowstone,or how about a mega tsunami or even an earth crust displacement,not forgetting a good old fashioned solar flare which could wipe out all out electricity and communications for years thus rendering us useless,you see all in all nature has a lot more ways of destroying us than mankind has.
    Wouldn't that be a kicker, pockets of humans survive only to die in a freak volcano eruption or tsunami.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

Unpossible wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be a kicker, pockets of humans survive only to die in a freak volcano eruption or tsunami.

you\ll have all the nuclear submarine countries bomb each other with nukes after the initial wave too. so volcano or tsunami wont matter, what doesnt kill us in round 1 will in round 2.

Advertisement