Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temperature differences on morning commute

Options
  • 23-12-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭

Temperature gauge in car said -9.5 this morning setting off from outside Aughrim Co. Wicklow. By the time I got to N11 and up towards Cabinteely it was up to 0 degrees. On a good day thats an hours commute, today it was 90 mins. Its circa 60 kms. Some temperature difference. Anyone else experience a greater range?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Car temperature gauges aren't particularly accurate as the car generates its own heat and on a sunny day it can become hotter than the things around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Victor wrote: »
    Car temperature gauges aren't particularly accurate as the car generates its own heat and on a sunny day it can become hotter than the things around it.

Its pretty accurate. Has checked out vs NRA website temps in recent days etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I think I can go one better :) On the first cold spell in early December I was driving on the N80 towards Carlow. The temperature was 2c at Ballylehane (just beyond Stradbally). Five minutes up the road in Arles the temperature dropped to -10c. Freezing fog was the culprit, but it was some drop in such a short distance!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

have to say my temp read out on my 15 year old pajero is spot on.

checked it with at least 6 outside temps and its reading the same as them.

so id say most incar ones are good

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

I left Athy on Tuesday morning and it read minus 13.5 got to work in Citywest at 8.30 and it was minus 0.5

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Don't want to open another thread but i was wondering if a temperature sensor was at 1 meter and another at 4 meters would there be much difference in the temperature readings ???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Victor wrote: »

That really depends on the fitting location of the sensor but in general I find them accurate enough (with the exception of Volvo).

I left my house yesterday morning and the temperature indicated was -4ºC. It dropped to -7ºC when I got to Lucan. I drove on to Clonee where it read -10ºC and it was -9ºC when I stopped in Damastown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Pangea wrote: »
    Its a rough guide I think really, sometimes its inaccurate as DeepEast told me the heat gets trapped in the bumper a lot too and with the tarmac it can read inaccurately sometimes.
    Also if you just start the car the tempertures are not accurate it has to be moving for a while, the last day when I started it it said 14c because the sun was shining and it wasnt moving so it wasnt getting any air exposure. smile.gif
    Above post I posted yesturday on the site in response to a similar question with regard to car temperature readings. Bascially its not very accurate but it gives you a general indication of what temperature it is, I find it is out by a degree or two sometimes with comparison to my own thermometer..

To get back on track with the actual thread question, without a doubt 60kms is a huge distance with regards to different temperatures, Im prob 60kms from Killygordan , and when its -16 there I probably have -9 or at best -10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Cloud cover could be one reason !
    Also Ive seen after heavy showers it seems to be followed by a blast of mild air,roofs drip but an hour later its -4..crazy weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Tuesday morning 10 mile approx commute -Balbriggan Swords

-2.5 Balbriggan, -8.5 M1, -6.5 Swords Freeky stuff - possible due to proximity to sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

if i sit in traffic my shogun reads up to 25c+ because of the heat of the engine on the temp sensor. but once i start moving its dead on as i have checked it against a digital thermometer

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Don't want to open another thread but i was wondering if a temperature sensor was at 1 meter and another at 4 meters would there be much difference in the temperature readings ???
    By themselves, not a lot. However, if it meant the difference between being sheltered or exposed, wind chill and direct sunlight would make a difference.

Temperature only drops about 1 degree per 150 metres altitude.

Advertisement