Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with facebook "Like" button on website

Options
  • 23-12-2010 9:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭

I have installed a website "Like" button on my homepage.
    It states that 36 people like this. However when I visit the facebook page it only shows 18 people liking it... I cannot find any help on this anwhere else. All other pages i've seen online seem to correspond. If anyone could offer any advice I would greatly appreciate it as I want to use facebook to promote the site and the majority of traffic is coming from there at the moment.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Hi, are you confusing the 'like' buttons?

There's one that you can post on your webs site that allows people to 'ole' your FB page and will then display the number of fans that you have once you have liked it. The objective is to get your web site users to like your page on Facebook.

The other type is the ability to 'like' an individual web page. When you do this it appears in your FB news feed e.g. "Joe blogs likes the latest news on yoursite.ie". The objective of this is to help drive FAcebookers towards your web site.

It may be that you have the two mixed up. You have 36 Facebook fans but only 18 Facebookers like your web site home page.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭grinds

Thanks for getting back to me... It seems pointless having a facebook page so... Just get people to like your website??

I can't see how anyone would bother going to the trouble of getting on the facebook page and then liking it.

Still seems confusing but thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

www.iamjpg.com

check out like under each post on the mainpage.
    I can only see the people im friends with that liked it,
    so if 6 people like it and IF im friends with 4 of em, it will show their faces only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

grinds wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to me... It seems pointless having a facebook page so... Just get people to like your website??

I can't see how anyone would bother going to the trouble of getting on the facebook page and then liking it.

Still seems confusing but thanks for your help

Depends on what type of business you are and what you want to achieve. Facebook is a great medium for communicating with people in a quick and immediate way and it's also in a social environment (as opposed to a commercial one).

Your strategy should be to build up both your FB and your web site using the two types of 'likes'. If somebody is impressed with your product/service chances are that they will both 'like' pages on your site (their friends will then see this in their feeds and may visit you) and they will also become a fan of your Facebook page as most people see FB as a good way of keeping in touch with your brand.

Advertisement