Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDMI cable 100 euro. WTF ???

• 23-12-2010 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

Tried two shops today to buy a short HDMI lead. 50 to 100 euro each. Couldnt believe the cost.
    Then into Argos. Bought one for 7.
    WTF is up? Or have I bought a dud which wont work? Wont be able to try it until next week. Is it not a digital signal which either transfers or doesnt and so 'quality' of the lead doesnt matter. What am I missing ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Tried two shops today to buy a short HDMI lead. 50 to 100 euro each. Couldnt believe the cost.
    Then into Argos. Bought one for 7.
    WTF is up? Or have I bought a dud which wont work? Wont be able to try it until next week. Is it not a digital signal which either transfers or doesnt and so 'quality' of the lead doesnt matter. What am I missing ?

You're not missing much, and made a reasoned purchase.

A 1 meter HDMI cable which costs more than say 12euro is a waste of money.

Some people might argue build quality, but build quality is irrelevant on an object which may not be unplugged for years once the TV and set top boxes are in place.

The build quality of "cheap" hdmi cables is just fine anyway, and would withstand lots of plugging and unplugging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

What am I missing ?

The fact that cable manufacturers know that there's a sucker born every minute. Luckily for you, you're ahead of the game. Spare a thought for the poor morons who actually do pay a hundred smackers for a digital cable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Connected up new Bluray player with my Argos cable this morning. All working excellently in 1080. Glad I didnt spend 100E on a cable (the Bluray player itself didnt cost much more than that!).

Still amazed that Currys and Maplin were only offering such overpriced (verging on scam) cables. I am sure plenty are buying them thinking they are what is necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Connected up new Bluray player with my Argos cable this morning. All working excellently in 1080. Glad I didnt spend 100E on a cable (the Bluray player itself didnt cost much more than that!).

Still amazed that Currys and Maplin were only offering such overpriced (verging on scam) cables. I am sure plenty are buying them thinking they are what is necessary.

I bought a blueray player in Currys the other day and got a HDMI cable for 3.99 works grand.

Advertisement