Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC slowing down between 8pm and midnight

• 23-12-2010 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭

Anyone else having this problem? Started for me last-night and made on-line gaming impossible. Tried all the usual suspects (brothers downloading, updates etc) and couldn't sort. Resolved itself at midnight or there abouts. Same again tonight. On to UPC tech support and they want me to move my computer downstairs and wire it up to the router! It was working fine all day on the same wireless link (and yesterday for that matter) but suddenly the call will not be entertained without moving 100kgs of computer and monitor down the stairs.... Reminds me of why I left eircon
    BTW I'm in dublin 7 and on the 15mb package.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Slow speeds during peak hours are usually due to contention/congestion particularly when they seem to resolve themselves around midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Those are the typical congestion hours. People home from work/college/school browsing the web after dinner or streaming movies online etc.

Although that said...
    1082665607.png

...on a 15Mbps connection. 76ms ping though. That's the worst it's ever been :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Ensure there is nobody hijacking your wireless. Set up a MAC access list on your router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Just tried to connect to my usual game server in the UK. Normal pings in the 40-50 range. Now getting up to 800ms!!! Completely unplayable. Everything fine up to about an hour and a half ago. It will probably be fine after midnight as well, when all my gamer mates are in bed! Will try the cable so I can ring support back and say "I told you so!"
    Mac filtering enabled since day one!
    This all started last night btw, I was fine until then....

• Advertisement

1082678294.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

docmol wrote: »
    Just tried to connect to my usual game server in the UK. Normal pings in the 40-50 range. Now getting up to 800ms!!! Completely unplayable. Everything fine up to about an hour and a half ago. It will probably be fine after midnight as well, when all my gamer mates are in bed! Will try the cable so I can ring support back and say "I told you so!"
    Mac filtering enabled since day one!
    This all started last night btw, I was fine until then....

Do you know anyone locally that has UPC bb that you could check with?

dub45 wrote: »
    Do you know anyone locally that has UPC bb that you could check with?

Yeah, he's offline atm but I sent him a mail. Bloody annoying! Xmas fragfest ruined and my mates without a rocketlaucher!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you just want to make us hate you don't you? :P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jack67

im in d7 an i had the exact same problem last sunday ,only got connected the previous wednesday.i couldnt even open standard web pages google ,ebay etc,like yourself from 8pm-12.00pm dead,then it fixed itself and has been ok since.if it happens again im leavin upc asap.

• Advertisement

jack67 wrote: »
    im in d7 an i had the exact same problem last sunday ,only got connected the previous wednesday.i couldnt even open standard web pages google ,ebay etc,like yourself from 8pm-12.00pm dead,then it fixed itself and has been ok since.if it happens again im leavin upc asap.
    you might want to consider contacting UPC tech support to see if your issues can be fixed before you throw away your connection to the fastest ISP in the country, esp. when the competition is likely to leave you worse off. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jack67

i did try to contact them ,left waiting on hold for 20minutes and was then disconnected,i was with smart telecom for 3 yrs with no issues,vibe666 are you a upc employee?if not maybe you should send in your cv!;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

My UPC bb and phone package isn't working this morning. No customer suport either.

The same happened last Xmas : ( Connecton down on the 25th and the 26th. Unfortunately they know that they have the market sown up as there is no real competition out there. I have a contact in their tech but he's away so when he comes back I'll just go above the head of their "Customer Services" and see if it can be resolved. Always better to talk to another engineer, who listens and understands whats being said, as opposed to a call center operative....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

im still having problems with upc concerning gaming, i know there is a few others having the same problem on here, download speed is fine ping is around 44 and jitter is usally between 20% and 30 %, i think upc cant provide a constant flow or stream hence why we get lag

1083731862.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Did you try bypassing the router to see for defo if its a router issue or a modem issue

That i havn't done but i don't think it is a router issue. Everything fine untill 8pm and then suddenly 15mb/s goes to 2 mb/s! All fine again by midnight! If it's working fine at 7:55 and not at 8:05 so I doubt it's the router. I'm betting it's contention but very weird that it starts at 8pm every night. Makes gaming a right pain though.

Luckyfrank please log a call! The more of us who log a call the greater the chance that they will listen and do something!

1083773345.png

No congestion my a**e!
    Thats a 15Mb line btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Luckyfrank please log a call! The more of us who log a call the greater the chance that they will listen and do something!

Being onto them a few times it's like ground hog day, i think they know there is an issue but are unable to do anything about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

That i havn't done but i don't think it is a router issue. Everything fine untill 8pm and then suddenly 15mb/s goes to 2 mb/s! All fine again by midnight! If it's working fine at 7:55 and not at 8:05 so I doubt it's the router. I'm betting it's contention but very weird that it starts at 8pm every night. Makes gaming a right pain though.

I know its awkward man but you'll have to eliminate the wireless router as a possible cause before they'll take it further. Same with any ISP. when I've had to ring eircom (not very often thank god) I have to hardwire the modem directly to the main phone socket without anything else connected. Just the way it works unfortunately

jack67 wrote: »
    i did try to contact them ,left waiting on hold for 20minutes and was then disconnected,i was with smart telecom for 3 yrs with no issues,vibe666 are you a upc employee?if not maybe you should send in your cv!;)
    oh that's a classic that is, if only you knew how ironic your post was. :)

but the short answer is, no i don't and i never have although i did used to work for eircom about 10 years ago but i'm not a particular fan of any ISP in general.

i'm not trying to help UPC i'm trying to help you by telling you the simple truth of the matter. it's no secret that 1st line support sucks but once you get past that you will usually have your problem sorted before too long if you bare with it.
    ronanc15 wrote: »
    I know its awkward man but you'll have to eliminate the wireless router as a possible cause before they'll take it further. Same with any ISP. when I've had to ring eircom (not very often thank god) I have to hardwire the modem directly to the main phone socket without anything else connected. Just the way it works unfortunately
    exactly right. internet congestion is definitely a probable cause, but it could just as easily be local wireless congestion causing issues.

there could easily be a lot of 2.4ghz interference in the evenings as your neighbours all come home and start using their own wifi, video senders, baby monitors and any number of other devices that can send a 2.4ghz wifi signal down the toilet.

there's any number of possible causes which will have to be eliminated to find the actual cause and if you stick with it, they will fix it.

you don't need to spend hours on the phone with them either, just keep emailing them every couple of days for updates and they'll sort you out and if they don't they will usually give you a discount on your broadband till it is fixed IF you report it and keep at them.

Advertisement