Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup with Diarrhea

• 23-12-2010 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hey

My Irish Wolfhound pup has had bad Diarrhea for the last two days, its really runny - just brown water. I was going to take him to the vet in the morning to get it checked out but is it an immediately dangerous thing? He seems in good spirits (playful, usual happy self) but if you leave him for even a minute he lets loose the brown pee!

His ass is also killing him, you can see him trying to lick it but its too far away....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

Make sure you keep him hydrated overnight and get him to a vet first thing in the morning. It might be a good idea to keep him off solids until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

are you not feeding him the young puppy food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

TskTsk wrote: »
    Make sure you keep him hydrated overnight and get him to a vet first thing in the morning. It might be a good idea to keep him off solids until then.

Yeah he didnt eat his food this morning and I am fasting him overnight on the Vets advice. He has loads of water there and regurally goes to it.

To the other poster yes he is on the Large Breed Puppy food by Science Plan. He was fine on this at first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My rule is 48 hrs for the "runs" so yep if you're over that id be bringing him to the vet. He should be starved for a day with access to water. If you've done that its post 48hrs its straight to the vet as the amount of water hes drinking wont sustain the levels hes losing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

anniehoo wrote: »
    My rule is 48 hrs for the "runs" so yep if you're over that id be bringing him to the vet. He should be starved for a day with access to water. If you've done that its post 48hrs its straight to the vet as the amount of water hes drinking wont sustain the levels hes losing.

Did not know the part about not feeding when they are sick so he is only going to be 24hrs without food in the morning but Im going to bring him anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

mprop wrote: »
    Did not know the part about not feeding when they are sick so he is only going to be 24hrs without food in the morning but Im going to bring him anyway.
    Sure thats ok. The only reason you withhold food is to make sure its not a food related illness,to ensure their digestive system is clear in case of a required anaesthesia and to stop them vomiting up anything if there is an infection going on. The reason i wait 48 hrs is a lot of "stomach upsets" resolve themselves quite quickly.Its generally down to eating too much or eating too much of something bad. On an empty stomach its easier to tell what it is. If you're 48hrs+ tomorrow you're doing the right thing going to the vet. Dehydration is the one to worry about before starvation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Did he have anything different, food wise? Even a treat or something that could have upset his tummy? Could be something very small that you wouldnt even think of that could have upset him.

Advertisement