Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP and Control Panel

Options
  • 23-12-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Im getting a website redesigned by a third party. I have given them a username and password for the website to gain access to the ftp.Do they need access to the control panel from my hosting company

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

On some hosting accounts it is convenient to access the database through the control panel.

Depending on your hosting plan, there may be features on the control panel that are not configurable through FTP alone.

It depends on:

- What they are doing.
    - The particulars of your hosting account.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭B1977

conorcan2 wrote: »
    On some hosting accounts it is convenient to access the database through the control panel.

Depending on your hosting plan, there may be features on the control panel that are not configurable through FTP alone.

It depends on:

- What they are doing.
    - The particulars of your hosting account.

If I want to give them access to the control panel,I need to give them my hosting details, "is there another way"

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

B1977 wrote: »
    If I want to give them access to the control panel,I need to give them my hosting details, "is there another way"

If it's a simple website with no database usage, then FTP should be enough.

Is there another way to provide the control panel features without providing control panel access? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

What are your concerns with giving them access? It's not a big job to change your passwords once the work is done, if you don't trust them perhaps you should talk to somebody else.

Advertisement