Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo's at the airport

Options
  • 24-12-2010 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I always have to laugh, every time I am at the airport with Tattoo's on display I always get pulled outta line at security for a frisk :eek: :D Its pretty funny because it has happened at 3 different airports in 2010 none of them Dublin mind.
    Its funny that peoples visual perceptions are still tainted towards something their eyes physically take in rather then a silent man with a shifty stance and a backpack mumbling allah :P
    Does this happen much to people? In manchester they xrayed my shoes because of this and all :rolleyes: At least I know Im not walking around on landmines :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

You mean after going through the metal detector? Or just a random search?

Only time i've been searched is when i've set off the metal detector, forgetting to take off my belt. I'm sure it wasn't cos you have tattoos

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Maximillion Power

Will wrote: »
    You mean after going through the metal detector? Or just a random search?

Only time i've been searched is when i've set off the metal detector, forgetting to take off my belt. I'm sure it wasn't cos you have tattoos
    Just after going through the metal detector, even though it doesnt go off I was searched on 3 occasions :D And my girlfriend who had a can of hugo boss spray which is a big no no was allowed to keep the spray and not searched at all :P
    In Germany I would say the search was a bit close for comfort at one point :eek: :rolleyes: But that was when they found a reptile light in my bag :D
    Im convinced Tattoo's get them searching you, so do a few artists Ive spoke to

• Registered Users Posts: 26 carlarua

No, I never had that impression. Whenever I get stopped, it's usually for forgetting a lighter in my pockets or a belt
    But then, I'm usually dragging a few kids along and I'm laden like a mule with bags and passports and boarding tickets and I think they're a good distraction from the tattoos ;)
    most of my tattoos are usually covered up if I wear long sleeves, and the one on my wrist and hand would be easy to ignore.
    Some elderly people who wouldn't know me however can look at me as if I'm going to rob them any minute now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

I travel in and out through Manchester quite a lot and they are usually very tight on security regardless. I've never felt "picked on" because of my tattoos but the fact that I have a surgical plate in my leg and seem to constantly set off metal detectors,means they have enough to do anyway. A lot of the security in Manchester Airport have tattoos anyway and I usually find mine are treated more as a conversation piece than a threat. Sailed through Heathrow after the London convention, in fact my girlfriend was asked to remove her shoes, while I just got a "thank you sir & enjoy your flight.

carlarua wrote: »
    No, I never had that impression. Whenever I get stopped, it's usually for forgetting a lighter in my pockets or a belt
    But then, I'm usually dragging a few kids along and I'm laden like a mule with bags and passports and boarding tickets and I think they're a good distraction from the tattoos ;)
    most of my tattoos are usually covered up if I wear long sleeves, and the one on my wrist and hand would be easy to ignore.
    Some elderly people who wouldn't know me however can look at me as if I'm going to rob them any minute now :D
    Maybe a I look a bit shifty :eek: To be honest thats why I asked just to see what other peoples experiences were, I dont have any kind of chip on my shoulder about it. To be honest I have always taken it with a pinch of salt, they are people doing a job and I have nothing to hide ;)
    Having no kids I can safely say that the only thing I am laden down with at the airport is duty free smokes and booze :D

I travel in and out through Manchester quite a lot and they are usually very tight on security regardless. I've never felt "picked on" because of my tattoos but the fact that I have a surgical plate in my leg and seem to constantly set off metal detectors,means they have enough to do anyway. A lot of the security in Manchester Airport have tattoos anyway and I usually find mine are treated more as a conversation piece than a threat. Sailed through Heathrow after the London convention, in fact my girlfriend was asked to remove her shoes, while I just got a "thank you sir & enjoy your flight.
    In manchester I was distracted by the step in Star Trek style scanner and wasnt paying attention to the guy asking me to step out for around 10 seconds :P Perhaps that could have contributed to the shoe scanning I received there!
    I was kind of hoping that I would be the only one with this misconceived perception because it clears up the question that I had asked in the first place :rolleyes:
    In work I would say my Tattoos are a conversation piece but not the airport :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

...rather then a silent man with a shifty stance and a backpack mumbling allah

And you're complaining about being judged because of your tattoos?

And you're complaining about being judged because of your tattoos?
    I never once complained, and that was merely a joke :pac::pac::pac::pac:
    Tough crowd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I definitely feel like I get searched more when I go through with visible tattoos, to the point that I keep them covered in the airport now. I have been selected for "random additional screening" more than once in one trip to a few airports. I get the full grope, and on one occasion was strip searched.

now, it is just inconwienient, as I am never actually doing anything wrong. but I am an hysterical flyer and really don't need that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Poser alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

I have a star & half moon on my hand. 3 times outta 3 Ive been asked by US security folks what it means. Been there 3 times so. 3rd time I said it to your man, reply was "take it you'll be quizzed every time"....

Could be mistaken for a Islam/Muslim thingy

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    Poser alert.
    Intelligent Post of the year alert :rolleyes:

@Edhead, the security in the US is extremely stringent, my friend accidentally left a very small Stanley blade in his carry on luggage nearly 10 years ago and every time he goes to the states he still gets taken to one side for additional screening and questioning :D
    I guess its only right that he should be put on a list for being a potential threat to their national security! Im sure you will continue to get asked what the moon shape means for years to come!

RasTa wrote: »
    Poser alert.

Do you want to elaborate on what you're trying to say there, or should I just infract your ass for trying to be smart?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Ooooh an infraction. Take it easy, son.

Week ban issued. Questioning/slagging off moderator decisions on thread is not permitted anywhere on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I got some stick in the states, punk looking guy covered in tattoos with irish passport? I seemed to always be randomly selected for extra searching, I've been stripped, swabbed you name it.
    Mighn't be exactly because of tattoo's etc, with or without them maybe im a bit shifty lookin.. :confused:

Advertisement