Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish & English [6th Year] In need of help.

• 24-12-2010 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Okay I'm trying to sort out the subject that are messy. I'm currently doing all honors minus maths. I am aiming for in excess of 320 points in my leaving cert. I understand that is somewhat low with 6(or 5) honors yet this is what I want and need for the course I desire and have been heart set on for a long time now, although I don't really give two ****s as this is all I need and well not the greatest year in regards to personal stuff.
    XMAS RESULTS.

Ag Sci = 62%
    Irish = 27%
    Geography = 65%
    Business = 80%
    History = 87%
    English = 35%
    Maths = Unknown as of Yet.
    English,

I failed yet another Honors English test and really I don't have the time with the other subjects for it any more.
    If I drop back to Ordinary level, will the texts Il Postino(Movie), Lies of Silence(Novel) & Dancing at lughnasa(Drama) be okay for my comparative study?
    Also what differs from the honors, and what poets will I have to study?
    Irish
    I failed this on something I would regard as stupid, the test involved two exam questions on Uirchill an Chreagain which I scored around 80% in. Then it involved a list of 62 phrases in English which I was to translate to Irish, I didn't fair to well in this. I can speak Irish fairly well, I can hold a conversation with ease, yet my choice of words aren't the choice the teacher would want me to use yet for me and many others it is natural.

I have very poor spelling in Irish and I don't have the time to correct this so, with very poor spelling how many marks am I looking to lose out on in the leaving cert? I am going to be getting the majority of my marks in the tape and oral test.

Thanks for all your help.

- David.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

To be honest lad I think English texts change when you drop back (or at least they did in my school). We studied certain books and plays and they did different ones.

As far as poetry is concerned I also think it's printed in the booklet.

These are questions you should really be asking your English teacher. They will help, at the end of the day they just don't want you to fail because it's a bad reflection on their teaching...if you feel you have to drop back do.

It's not that hard to pass English. I did very well in it in the Leaving Cert but as long as your grammar is somewhat decent and you're subjective and objective when needed you should be fine. The hardest part of English is learning the poets for Paper 2. If you've already been doing that for a year and a half it seems like you've wasted a lot of it.

I think you should be fine though...just try until Easter. Makes no difference if you drop back in January or then (apart from recognition with the course). Do honours for the Mocks, see how you get on.

All teachers will advise you against dropping back if they know your capability is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Can't speak for the Irish, but the English texts in the comparative study do not change between levels. The only main difference between higher and ordinary is that in higher, you have to study Shakespeare (Hamlet, for this year and next).

The poetry is significantly easier in ordinary level. There are 32 poems on the course, 16 of which will be contributed by 16 different poets. The other poets on the course have two or more contributions, which makes up the second 16. Only 4 poems come up on the actual exam, but the poems themselves are actually printed on the exam paper, so it's basically like answering an unseen poem that have seen and know inside out!

Only concern with the comparative study question I can foresee is that by dropping to ordinary level, you may have to switch class, and there's no guarantee your new teacher will have covered the same three texts. But the questions are easier and not marked as difficult so I'm sure you'll be fine either way. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Where are you having problems on English in particular? I can try help you out with the HL stuff if you want, I'm pretty good at English if I say so myself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

If I drop back to Ordinary level, will the texts Il Postino(Movie), Lies of Silence(Novel) & Dancing at lughnasa(Drama) be okay for my comparative study?

Also what differs from the honors, and what poets will I have to study?

Those texts will be ok for ordinary level as the comparative texts for higher and ordinary are the same. However the 2011 comparative modes differ for higher and ordinary. They can be accessed in the 2011 syllabus at http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=17216&pcategory=17216&ecategory=17233&sectionpage=&subject=17601&language=EN&link=&page=

You will have covered Hamlet for the single text for honours. This will suffice for ordinary level also but as the shakespearean drama is optional for ordinary level, you may prefer to choose one of the other single texts on the 2011 syllabus.

The poetry is different for ordinary level. There may be some overlap but you will probably have to cover new poems. Again see the syllabus 2011 document.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

I know this has nothing to do with the topic i was just wondeing do you need higher level irish for studying irish during the arts degree in st pats?

Also is needed for the irish and religous studies arts degree in mater dei?
    And my final question is could i do the post gradute course for primary school teaching after this arts degree providing i pass it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Sorry is higher level irish needed for the arts degree in mater dei

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I dont know about the higher level for arts but if you've an interest in Primary do it now as the postgrads are very likely to be cut.

Advertisement