Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman dead after dog attack - bad news for listed dogs

• 24-12-2010 3:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12072694

It may even have been a parrying attack as a pup was removed from the property .
    Who knows the circumstances , either way its bad news as the media campaign will get underway .
    It's rare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Poor woman. This is very rare indeed. I wonder where the media will go with this one, seen that it wasn't an attack by a "devil dog".

Its bad news for all dog owners, it will foster the fear people have and general perceptions that dogs are dangerous. Just to clarify a point regarding your thread title - the breed involved is not on the restricted breeds list, not that it would make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

It may even have been a parrying attack as a pup was removed from the property .
    Who knows the circumstances , either way its bad news as the media campaign will get underway .
    It's rare
    I would have thought that it was "bad news" for the woman who was killed and her family, but then I'm odd like that ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It's rare

An awful thing to happen:(

But i cant understand why it woud be bad news for listed breeds??:confused: The breed mentioned is not on any list so dont know why it would affect any so called lists of certain breeds of dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

andreac wrote: »
    But i cant understand why it woud be bad news for listed breeds??:confused:

I was thinking the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

An awful thing to happen:(

But i cant understand why it woud be bad news for listed breeds??:confused: The breed mentioned is not on any list so dont know why it would affect any so called lists of certain breeds of dogs.

Thats good so, because its not on any list it cant be dangerous so.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »

But it has nothing to do with the dangerous breed act :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Dont they all get tarred by the same brush after a dog attack ?
    Once the word 'Mastiff' is injected into the report , then it casts a shadow over all the restricted breeds .

The majority of the general public wont know the details of the specific breeds on the list .

Bad news for the woman too of course :( .
    I wonder if she was taking the last pup of the litter ?

Surely a canine mother would feel the same anxiety and distress as a human mother would when their child is being removed ?
    I dont think we ever get to find the details of why it happened tbh .

Sorry what do you mean?? The op said its bad news for listed breeds, but how is that, i just said its not on any list so how is it relevent to dogs on certain lists:confused:

TillyGirl wrote: »
    But it has nothing to do with the dangerous breed act :confused:

Or the fact someone has died?? And was killed by a dog? A dog that can kill. If it can kill it has potential to be dangerous. A dangerous breeds act is just that, and act, written by people. It does not change the fact other breeds outside its act could be potentially dangerous.

Hard to believe someone is killed and all some are interested in is how a list might affect them. If the same dog killed a family member, would you keep the same type of dog again?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Seems to be story of the day so far on Sky News, unfortunate because no doubt they'll hype it out of all proportion and there'll be some form of excessive knee jerk reaction from the authorities on it.

• Advertisement

Or the fact someone has died?? And was killed by a dog? A dog that can kill. If it can kill it has potential to be dangerous. A dangerous breeds act is just that, and act, written by people. It does not change the fact other breeds outside its act could be potentially dangerous.

Hard to believe someone is killed and all some are interested in is how a list might affect them. If the same dog killed a family member, would you keep the same type of dog again?

You are putting words in peoples mouths. The op stated how its bad news for listed breeds, we were merely questioning why would that be as the breed mentioned isnt on any list. No one is disputing the fact that someone has died and the dog was dangerous.

Sorry what do you mean?? The op said its bad news for listed breeds, but how is that, i just said its not on any list so how is it relevent to dogs on certain lists:confused:

Well i thought there was a dangerous breeds list, maybe not.

There is but the dog mentioned isnt on the list.

Well i thought there was a dangerous breeds list, maybe not.

In UK there are breeds that are banned and the breed mentioned isnt one of them. In Ireland, we have the retricted breeds list and again, the breed mentioned isnt on it, so thats why i was questioning how it is relevent to any of these lists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Sorry i'm using a mobile. Can somebody tell me what kinda dog it is?

Seems to be story of the day so far on Sky News, unfortunate because no doubt they'll hype it out of all proportion and there'll be some form of excessive knee jerk reaction from the authorities on it.

Sky news are good at that alright. The swine flu was a good one, making people think it was worse than rabies practically. Yet the normal seasonal flu probably kills more every year without a mention.

So with the dog attack fatality thing they will make everyone think we are all in danger.

racso1975 wrote: »
    Sorry i'm using a mobile. Can somebody tell me what kinda dog it is?

Belgian mastiff i think it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i thought all mastiffs were listed here because bull mastiff was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

DBCyc wrote: »
    Its bad news for all dog owners, it will foster the fear people have and general perceptions that dogs are dangerous.
    Some dogs are and always have being .

Thats my point, because its not on the list does that mean its definitely safe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

the breed mentioned isnt on it, so thats why i was questioning how it is relevent to any of these lists.

Just in case you missed my previous :

Dont they all get tarred by the same brush after a dog attack ?
    Once the word 'Mastiff' is injected into the report , then it casts a shadow over all the restricted breeds .

The majority of the general public wont know the details of the specific breeds on the list .

Bad news for the woman too of course frown.gif .
    I wonder if she was taking the last pup of the litter ?

I think its common sense that the listed breeds are most at risk when sensational reports like this hit the international airwaves .

Its obvious to me anyway , I dont know why Im gettin stick here !!

I have an english mastiff and what somebody posted above is correct. When out and asked what breed she is all people here is mastiff and you can see them take a step back. Of course this is after they have let their children charge at a 10 stone dog for a rub!

But my deepest sympathies to the family of the woman involved. Hard at anytime of year but will always dampen xmas for them for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

I'm sure it will be on the list after this. I don't think you can even blame the dog themselves but irresponsible dog owners who do not train their dogs correctly and keep them under control.

bmarley wrote: »
    I'm sure it will be on the list after this. I don't think you can even blame the dog themselves but irresponsible dog owners who do not train their dogs correctly and keep them under control.

That may be true alright, but the fact the dog has to be well trained to keep it on the safe side, as opposed to being badly trained making it having potential to kill would show its a potentially dangerous dog.

And it may be possible for a well trained dog to also attack. Can anyone say this is not possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Very sad news, though it looks like the usual media frenzy that happens when there's little else to report on.

"KILLED IN HER OWN HOME!" BBC not being in any way OTT. We need a celebrity to die.

This thing of people sayin reportin is ott piss's me off. Lets not forget a person died!!! If they were sayin all mastiff's should be shot then that would be ott. Reporting what actually happen is not.
    In someways this is the same as me dashing off to the gentlemen's forum and sayin "bad news lads a man has killed a woman. We are flucked.......but i think the media are blowin this out of proportion!"

[QUOTE=amacachi;69719897. We need a celebrity to die.[/QUOTE]
    ffs

I watched the BBC news there and they are def not going OTT on reporting it. They just seem to be sticking to facts so far and not exaggerating anything at the moment.

All i can say it must have been a horrible death for that poor woman, for an adult to be killed by being mauled by a dog must have been horrific. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

racso1975 wrote: »
    ffs

It was tongue-in-cheek, as in it's one of the few things that would get the news to move on to something else, they seem to have gotten bored of talking about the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

and yet i still got a txt to say "a pitbull killed a woman in the uk"......

Advertisement