Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abiding memories of 2nd cold spell 2010/11 winter

Options
  • 24-12-2010 6:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

For me Malahide estuary frozen over and with snow on top (like now).Amazing to look at.

What will be your kept image of this cold snap?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Dean.Tamkin

Banging my girlfriends best friend doggy style on the pic nic table at the back of her house:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

I think the OP meant weather related image and i hope ur g/f don't see ur post as well :p

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Banging my girlfriends best friend doggy style on the pic nic table at the back of her house:eek:

Hey man, I am only out of bed but you have really cheered me up with that! :D Very funny.........

Some of my abiding memories include the Dublin city canals frozen over, nearly a foot of snow outside my door, Dublin bus numbers illegible due to the ice, seeing icicles hang off traffic lights, temperatures of -10oc becoming the "norm"......so many memories, what an amazing winter to date........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

The army clearing the paths in the town centre. The snow showers arriving like clockwork every 30 mins on Friday 17th Dec. Neighbours working together to clear and grit the hill to our houses. My White cat becoming a ninja cat (his new ninja name Yung Wan) and the funny was he walked when the snow got deeper than his legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Sending my dirty kids to school in dirty clothes because the washing machine has been frozen for so long and it was far too cold to venture into the bathroom for a shower. I'll be saving up for a tin bath to put in front of the open fire for the Winter of '11/'12. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I'll be saving up for a tin bath to put in front of the open fire for the Winter of '11/'12. :D

Many's a bath like that I had as a boy. Two problems, when anyone opened the door a blast of freeeeezzzzzzing air struck me like daggers.

When the fire was stoked my skin burnt.

Worse was when both happened at the same time!!!!

There is an art to the procedure and there is nothing like an open fire. I've been lighting my own fire recently, central heating is working but it's just not the same at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Realising that Bray is in the Snow Shadow of a geographical feature from almost every compass point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Thus far, finding icicles on my car at lunchtime in the car park.

However, I'm now about to drive from dublin to lucan to kilkenny. I suspect I may have a different answer by tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Blessington Lakes being not just 99% frozen solid, but also snow covered - an amazing sight!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

An almost total lack of snow. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Watching image after image on the radar of streamers going north and south of me, and a paltry 0.5cm of snow staying on the ground for over a week already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

mike65 wrote: »

this and no water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Indeed, I'm on day 3 without water.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

mike65 wrote: »

Same for me

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Jumping out of a taxi last night into about 10 inches of snow - with it still pounding down, seeing all the ponds in Tymon Park basically frozen solid for weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Clearing the A&E depots again and again in St. James's & Vincents with the Civil Defence . . . only to have snow start falling again shortly afterwards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

The mayhem in wexford town on tuesday, panic must of set in because it seemed like every car in the county was in there hopping off each other and getting stuck on hills, great fun to watch. Never ever seen traffic like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Turning on the TV/Radio and the recession not mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

...THE SNOW :D
    Coming home from work this morning from a nite shift, My brother's car frozen , breaking ice while opening the car door, scraping ice of the window, FROM THE INSIDE.

Coming home through the snow, ( almost a foot of it ).
    Seeing everything so white.

Being down the local park yesterday morning witnessing the first heavy snowfall come in and the visibility go down really quickly.

... :)
    Ther being lying snow for christmas day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

darkman2 wrote: »
    What will be your kept image of this cold snap?

This one, from the weather station in my garden, a full week subzero :eek:

tempweekcomp.png

note : The F in the image should be a C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

The heavy snow that fell in wexford town tuesday mornin, 3 inches i measured after 40 minutes was cool.

Best memory from the last cold spell was walking around the golf course with a few mates in a foot and a half of snow and seeing all the ponds and lakes frozen over.....in NOVEMBER! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

while we got meagre amounts compared to the east, just getting the most snow i've ever seen in my life and waking up to an alpine scene for 8 days in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

24122010076.jpg

Watching this yoke grow outside. Only one more foot until it's the size of the window! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Well, having the heaviest snow I've ever seen is obviously a memory, 11 inches in my garden last Friday.

The fact that not one flake has melted even off the trees or power cables a full week later.

Coming close to beating the record low temperature every night this week not far from here.

The fact that the entire length of my house is covered in metre long icicles.

photo0245t.jpg

All in all its been an epic week that I'll probably not see the likes of again in this country any time soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Harps wrote: »
    All in all its been an epic week that I'll probably not see the likes of again in this country any time soon

I can assure you that what we are seeing now is the only the precursor for many cold winters ahead of us. We will get colder winters and warmer summers.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

For me definitely breaking the cycle of a snowless Lusk like previous winters - I really thought this area was destined to always miss out on decent snow, last winter I read so many posts here about the vast amounts of snow and saw the disruption etc on TV - there was feck all here, a mere dusting as has been the case for the 6 years or so living here. To see repeated heavy snow falling and the depth increasing every day this time was just amazing.

It really reminds me of being a kid, love the cold crisp air and the sparkle from the snow on the ground - last night the moonlight on the snow was amazing, as was the sun today given that there was pretty much no thaw... loved seeing -2.5 on the car today at 12.39pm! Car could do with a dusting actually :pac:

IMG_0217-1.jpg

I know its a pain in the ass, disruptive, costly etc but I can't escape the fact that I'm obsessed with this weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sparks wrote: »
    However, I'm now about to drive from dublin to lucan to kilkenny. I suspect I may have a different answer by tonight...

Yup, I do :D
    -10 in the car going past Naas, watching a bread delivery truck powerdrift sideways around a roundabout in a foot of snow, and of course, some utter gob****e in a Merc S-Class nearly kill someone then dive across two lanes of traffic and hold up a third lane so that he could wind down his window and scream at the person he'd nearly killed about how inconsiderate a victim he was...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Snowman10

My horse freezing to death outside after selling my honda civic for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

mine was seeing two red kites feeding of a dead crow. i was going mad i didnt have a camara was a great site to see them so up close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

My abiding memory now is trying to go canoeing on christmas morning only to discover the nore had frozen from bank to bank . . .

165376_171015356267661_100000775926264_306445_3724230_n.jpg

Advertisement