Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 2

Options

Comments

12 GB download? Jesus! That's insane, but at the same time it is two discs long on xbox! Started playing ME2 through again, this time as the character I imported from ME1 instead of a new one and it's excellent the subtle changes. This time I'm also playing as a bad-ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Any chance us non-PS3 people will get to see the Dark Horse intro stuff in some form?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Is that this comic that tells you about the 1st game your talking about? I imagine it'll end up on youtube pretty quick.

Wonder will there be different aspects to the comic depending on what kinda shepard you make, gender , back story etc.

It'll be pretty shitty if they go with the terrible default crap.
    Downloaded the ME2 demo on PS3 last night, very impressed etc but a lot of the rendered video suffered from low frame rate and screen tearing, is that something anyone else has experienced and can we expect it to be fixed in the retail version?

I didn't notice anything like that when I had a shot of it.
    bugs wrote: »
    Same here, quite choppy. Also felt the controls were a little unresponsive, nothing horrible but not great.

Yeah I thought the same about the controls but I play the game on PC so I'm naturally gonna find the controls sloppy on a console anyway. I felt it really damaged the gun fights of which I really enjoyed on the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ok, just cleared ME1. Took 11 hours, skipped a lot of the side missions and planet exploring. Bring on ME2! I think I will just get it for PS3 tho, much prefer playing games on that than the PC. The interactive comic should cover the big decisions, not pushed on the minor stuff I will miss from not moving my character on from ME1. It was a good game but I just rushed it too much to really enjoy it I think. I will take more time with ME2 and do all the side missions as well.

Anyone else picking this up Friday?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ok, just cleared ME1. Took 11 hours, skipped a lot of the side missions and planet exploring. Bring on ME2! I think I will just get it for PS3 tho, much prefer playing games on that than the PC. The interactive comic should cover the big decisions, not pushed on the minor stuff I will miss from not moving my character on from ME1. It was a good game but I just rushed it too much to really enjoy it I think. I will take more time with ME2 and do all the side missions as well.

I am still in the middle of the original at the moment, the main quest is highly enjoyable and even though I knew about it before I started playing I am still absolutely flabbergasted at the sloppy quality of nearly all the side missions in terms of copy pasted planets and buildings (and the mako controls), so frankly you are have missed out on absolutely nothing IMO. (Although I am still doing a good chunk of them as I do really enjoy the actual combat sequences, about 20 hours in and nearly finished.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

PS3 Demo was built on old code, retail version will be much better apparently.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-17-ps3-mass-effect-2-demo-code-is-old

I is glad, the screen tearing was horrible in the demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Sure am. I've been waiting 3 years for ME2. Played the original on the 360 but then traded it for a PS3. Can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

If only I could be one of you PS3 guys playing it for the first time again on Friday :D You really are in for a treat of a game that just immerses you into its story and characters. Hope ye don't have anything planned for the weekend because it will be gone before you know it.

Ah Jager i'm goosed then. three 12 hour shifts friday sat and sun. I will prob pick it up on lunch friday but won't get a good run at it till next week! Ya, heard the side missions in ME1 were a bit weak, How are the side missions in ME2?

Also, does gameplay change much from ME1 to ME2? I heard there are ammo clips now?

Ah Jager i'm goosed then. three 12 hour shifts friday sat and sun. I will prob pick it up on lunch friday but won't get a good run at it till next week! Ya, heard the side missions in ME1 were a bit weak, How are the side missions in ME2?

Also, does gameplay change much from ME1 to ME2? I heard there are ammo clips now?

Side missions are brilliant (one of my favs is a good cop/bad cop style interrogation :D). Even just flying around in the ship scanning planets for minerals will take hours of your life (you need certain minerals to do certain ship/weapon research projects). Dialog and choices seemed a lot better than ME1, some real enjoyable badass ones in there too should the mood take you.

Gameplay wise, it seemed a bit more action focused than the first. You will get in to a lot of large scale gunfights and the ammo varietys can be used to a tactical advantage once you know how to use them (e.g freezing a group of enemies with cryo rounds, then smashing them to bits by switching up to the hammerhead rounds).

Damn....I really need to pick this up for a playthrough again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

bit of a stupid ME2 video wot i made

A warning for you PS3 people
    , there's an important mission about 3/4s through the game that once started activates a hidden mission based timer. If you don't have your squad and ship in tiptop shape at this point, there will be bad consequences. That's all I'll say without spoiling anything.

A reminder:
    LOYALTY is a very important aspect in ME2. *nudge nudge*
    UPGRADES are critical *wink wink*

KerranJast wrote: »
    A warning for you PS3 people, there's an important mission about 3/4s through the game that once started activates a hidden mission based timer. If you don't have your squad and ship in tiptop shape at this point, there will be bad consequences. That's all I'll say without spoiling anything.

A reminder:

+1 on this advice.

You'll know it when you get to it. If you want the best ending, don't arse about for too long once it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

KerranJast wrote: »
    A warning for you PS3 people, there's an important mission about 3/4s through the game that once started activates a hidden mission based timer. If you don't have your squad and ship in tiptop shape at this point, there will be bad consequences. That's all I'll say without spoiling anything.

A reminder:

Quieten down! Finding out this kind of stuff when you play adds to the experience.

Shryke wrote: »
    Quieten down! Finding out this kind of stuff when you play adds to the experience.

It won't spoil anything because you don't know what it is ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Now people will be waiting for that bit. When it gets there it'll be, here's that bit they were talking about. Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I've cleared it a few times. It's not as fun for a new player when they then look out for this stuff!

Grayditch wrote: »
    Now people will be waiting for that bit. When it gets there it'll be, here's that bit they were talking about. Yup.

But we haven't said what it is :D And you won't even realise what we're talking about until you play it a 2nd time or read spoilers somewhere else.

Shryke wrote: »
    Fine I spoiler it. It didn't happen to me because I generally like to do most of the side missions before I finish the main storyline in case I can't finish them after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

What a game..what a game - LOVE IT! Serious spoilers ahead...
    "You have failed. We'll find another way. Releasing Control..."

What the FCUK!? ZOMG, harbinger controlled the prothean leader :o!
    "Joker.... Tell them... you've got to warn them, more of them are coming. Joker....go!", "Commander!....", "Detonation in 14, 13" :(:(

Game of the Year 2010

• Advertisement

I dunno what ye are talking about anyway haha!!

Found this vid showing the 6 classes of ME2. I was a soldier in ME1 but gonna go with either Vanguard or Infiltrator (don't really like the whole cloak thing tho) Vid shows off the skills of each class. This looks miles better than ME1!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Thanks for the vid sheehy. Went for a soldier on my first playthroughs. Think ill have a look at that before I start again. Might even get it on PS3 too (have it on PC too) when it comes out.

IGN have their written and video review up now.

http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1144303p2.html

Also, you can find the interactive comic on youtube as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Vanguard all the way baby. Nothing like a Charge followed by a shotgun blast, even the big Geth can't hack it when it's throw up full

This is brilliant!! ME 2 rap "Those Minerals"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

DarkJager wrote: »
    But we haven't said what it is :D And you won't even realise what we're talking about until you play it a 2nd time or read spoilers somewhere else.

I dunno about you but its was pretty damn obvious for me during my 1st play through what I needed to do there and what would happen if I didn't do it.
    Ya, heard the side missions in ME1 were a bit weak, How are the side missions in ME2?

I skip a lot of the side quests in me1 too, ME2 is totally different. The bulk of the game is side quests. I don't really considering them side quests, although they are optional. They're known as loyalty missions.

There are missions you can discover through scanning planets, I consider those side quests.

And yeah as someone said before, the game is far more action based compared to me1.

I was a soldier in ME1 but gonna go with either Vanguard or Infiltrator (don't really like the whole cloak thing tho) Vid shows off the skills of each class. This looks miles better than ME1!!!!!!

I played me1 as a vanguard, enjoyed it. But I was annoyed having these guns that I couldn't use. Still glad I didn't pick soldier.

For me 2, for my 1st play through I picked Infiltrator, seemed like a nice mix of guns and powers, and I really enjoyed it. Had great fun flanking and setting up crossing firing positions with my squad using the cloak ability. Hurling this biotic ball of flames around corners at enemies taking cover and hacking into enemy robots and turning them into allies.

There is not as many robotic enemies in ME2 as 1 though but there still is a good few.

My 2nd play through I picked vanguard again and enjoyed that a lot. I deffo think both are very good classes to pick. I'd lean slightly towards infiltrator though myself.
    bit of a stupid ME2 video wot i made

Lol @ the top gun music.

ME1 version of a ME2 video posted earlier:

This is brilliant!! ME 2 rap "Those Minerals"

That was good, they used a remix of the galaxy map music. There was a popular remix of the galaxy map music going around back when me1 was 1st released :

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

While not as relevant as usual given the staggered release dates of both versions, the Digital Foundry Face Off is now up on the Eurogamer site.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The cooperation between valve and Sony getting some results and EA & Sony were meant to be working more closely or at least mirroring MS & Activision, so MS3 may have the leg up on the 360 version when they come out.

I think the ps3 version of 2 seems to run a lot better and i play on a decent PC the faces and skin texture don't look so odd.

The part where your given the rachni choice seems a bit off as you don't get the details of why the queens say they won't do any harm but at least you get the choice if i hadnt been playing on PC with a few save game copies to load from ME1 i would have got the set result of ME1 which were mostly the renegade choices.

Am i right in saying that the code for in a new copy of the game is the Cerberus Pack and gets you all the rest of the released stuff.

Mass Effect 2 – Cerberus Pack ($14.99)
    Mass Effect 2 – N7 Complete Arsenal Bundle ($7.99)
    Mass Effect 2 – Aegis Pack ($1.99)
    Mass Effect 2 – Appearance Pack ($1.99)
    Mass Effect 2 – Equalizer Pack ($1.99)
    Mass Effect 2 – Firepower Pack ($1.99)
    Mass Effect 2 – Recon Operations Pack ($1.99)
    Mass Effect 2 – Terminus Pack (free)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

gizmo wrote: »
    While not as relevant as usual given the staggered release dates of both versions, the Digital Foundry Face Off is now up on the Eurogamer site.

Also the fact that, by all accounts, the PS3 version uses an updated engine that is closer to (if not the same as) the ME3 engine than the one running on the 360 means while there are likely to be improvements on the PS3, it is by no means a like for like comparison.

Advertisement