Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

cython wrote: »
    Also the fact that, by all accounts, the PS3 version uses an updated engine that is closer to (if not the same as) the ME3 engine than the one running on the 360 means while there are likely to be improvements on the PS3, it is by no means a like for like comparison.
    I'm assuming you didn't read the face off since despite Bioware's promises of a "definitive" version, the 360 version is still the better of the two, technically speaking of course.
    Technologically it still feels like the Xbox 360 version has the edge, but occasionally lower frame-rates and mostly unnoticeable graphical compromises on PS3 are not going to have much impact on the fun you have playing this game.
    So, as I said originally, it's not really an issue given the release dates. If you have a 360 you should already have the game and if you only have a PS3 then go and buy it now since it's ****ing fantastic. If, however, you're hoping to one-up your mates because you think you got a superior version, you're going to be disappointed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

gizmo wrote: »
    I'm assuming you didn't read the face off since despite Bioware's promises of a "definitive" version, the 360 version is still the better of the two, technically speaking of course.

So, as I said originally, it's not really an issue given the release dates. If you have a 360 you should already have the game and if you only have a PS3 then go and buy it now since it's ****ing fantastic. If, however, you're hoping to one-up your mates because you think you got a superior version, you're going to be disappointed. :)

No, I didn't really read it, and I played it through on the 360 at release time, so while in ways I'm more than happy that the PS3 hasn't received better treatment, so to speak, I am a little concerned if their "improved" engine is actually a step back. I mean I know only limited improvement could ever be present using the same content and assets, but if it is in fact worse, then I hope it's the platform rather than the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

No, I didn't really read it, and I played it through on the 360 at release time, so while in ways I'm more than happy that the PS3 hasn't received better treatment, so to speak, I am a little concerned if their "improved" engine is actually a step back. I mean I know only limited improvement could ever be present using the same content and assets, but if it is in fact worse, then I hope it's the platform rather than the engine.
    Oh it's the engine alright or, to be more precise, the engine running on the platform. From the breakdown it seems it's another example of a UE3 game running on both platforms - minor differences, nothing major outside of some slightly more noticable framerate drops in busy areas. The lighting issue on the other hand is more...odd and I'd certainly agree it's more of a matter of preference as to which one would prefer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

any news on cheapest place to get this masterpiece tomorrow?

any midnighjt openings, after all this is being talked about as the greatest game the ps3 has ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

donfers wrote: »
    any news on cheapest place to get this masterpiece tomorrow?

any midnighjt openings, after all this is being talked about as the greatest game the ps3 has ever seen

really doubt it, its not a COD or GTA or Halo, which seem to be the only games that get midnight openings these days

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    really doubt it, its not a COD or GTA or Halo, which seem to be the only games that get midnight openings these days

Not to mention that it's a release of an existing game on a new platform, so while it's the first time that some PS3 owners will be able to play it, a number will have played it already on PC/xbox, so it will arguably have lower interest than even a new Halo title, and almost certainly lower interest than a new COD launching across platforms.

Best hope of getting it at midnight is to find your nearest 24 hour Tesco, I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya, anyone hear prices? Hopefully HMV will be selling it for 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

€49.99 on the Gamestop website. Plus I heard an ad for them earlier this week saying that they are giving €32 trade in on Assasins Creed: Brotherhood so that's what I am doing.

Looking forward to getting stuck in with this. The demo was great imo and the reviews and hype are off the chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Looking forward to getting this tomorrow. Have the day off collage so im going to get stuck into it.

No way am I trading Brotherhood anyway. Working all weekend, won't get to play this til monday sickened!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Can't wait to get this tomorrow. It is bound to be €45 in HMV so I will try there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

No midnight launches from what I know. Picked up my copy tonight from work - downloading all the DLC now. I'm looking forward to this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Not to mention that it's a release of an existing game on a new platform, so while it's the first time that some PS3 owners will be able to play it, a number will have played it already on PC/xbox, so it will arguably have lower interest than even a new Halo title, and almost certainly lower interest than a new COD launching across platforms.

Best hope of getting it at midnight is to find your nearest 24 hour Tesco, I'd say!
    And yet, it's practically sold out in North America

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/01/19/mass-effect-2-sells-out-within-24-hours-of-liftoff/

Healium wrote: »

As pointed out in that same link, selling out can have two causes - massive demand, or insufficient supply. It's possible that with the factors I mentioned above in play, the demand was underestimated, but until actual sales figures come in, then it's anyone's guess.

Does anyone know install size of the game and all included DLC? I'm in serious need of space on the ps3 hdd.

Reading the forums on gamefaqs but had to stop because of the multiple spoilers in the thread titles, some dopes! Anyone know the price of this in tesco?

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Does anyone know install size of the game and all included DLC? I'm in serious need of space on the ps3 hdd.

Works out at just under 6gb when you install the DLC.

Notorious wrote: »
    Works out at just under 6gb when you install the DLC.

Thanks Notorious! Balls, only have 5gb left and thats stretching. will have to upgrade the hdd at some point. So, any thoughts on the game so far???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Stupid question, the DLC is with the game?, its just that i saw weapon packs for sale on the PSN last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Not all the DLC is with the PS3 version of the game. Only the three main DLC pack that have been released to date. Most armor and weapon packs I'm fairly sure aren't included.

That have to have some way of nickle and diming you. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

I was under the impression ALL DLC was free with it. In that you get a code for free download of all DLC.
    I had assumed the paid DLC on the network was to burn people who bought the game second hand.....

If thats not the case, its just more expense for a year old game, which is a joke!

• Advertisement

bugs wrote: »
    I was under the impression ALL DLC was free with it. In that you get a code for free download of all DLC.
    I had assumed the paid DLC on the network was to burn people who bought the game second hand.....

If thats not the case, its just more expense for a year old game, which is a joke!

Well it seems like you get all the important DLC with the game, who needs extra weapons?
    sheehy83 wrote:
    So, any thoughts on the game so far???

I'm loving it so far. Great story and characters; haven't found someone who annoys me yet. After about a half hour of cut-scenes and story building (you have to watch a 10 min 'comic' which tells you the story of ME1 -- absolutely brilliant IMO), you're put into the action.

The only problem I have is that the font sizes are tiny - since I'm playing on a small TV, I've got to jump up out of my seat to read some the pop-ups. 'Tis a bit annoying, but I'll get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

bugs wrote: »

Maybe you are right, but I'm fairly sure that Game and Gamestop and the like were giving away codes for the Terminus armor and another gun when you preordered. So, not all of the DLC was included.

Ya, some armour and weapons are free on the PSN for 1 month or something like that. Full details on the bottom of this link which shows all the DLC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect_2

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

I picked up my copy of Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 this morning. I got a game disc, a white booklet (general disclaimer/warning) and a leaflet about the Cerebus Network with a download code but I didn't get a manual/instruction booklet.

Can anyone confirm if I have the correct contents or should I go back to HMV looking for an instruction manual?

Rael wrote: »
    I picked up my copy of Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 this morning. I got a game disc, a white booklet (general disclaimer/warning) and a leaflet about the Cerebus Network with a download code but I didn't get a manual/instruction booklet.

Can anyone confirm if I have the correct contents or should I go back to HMV looking for an instruction manual?

That is exactly what I got too. I suspect EA are moving to digital manuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Anyone know how much xtravision and smyths are selling it for?

That is exactly what I got too. I suspect EA are moving to digital manuals.

Yup, same here. There's a digital manual in the 'extras' section of the main menu.

Anyone know how much xtravision and smyths are selling it for?

Smyths selling it for 50 and I suspect Xtravision are selling for the same. Hopefully HMV are selling it for 45, I like to give them all my gaming business these days.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Hopefully HMV are selling it for 45.

They are. I bought it there earlier.

• Advertisement

They are. I bought it there earlier.

Yurt! Gonna head in there so tomorrow on my lunch!

Advertisement