Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Its disgracefull that these crashes are happening. The developers must know that these problems are there before they release the game. I played it a good bit over the weekend and didnt have any problems, havent played it since sunday night and I dont think ill be going near it untill they patch it. If my saved data got corrupted Id acually never play it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Hey, how do I access the back story on ps3? I started a new game before downloading the cerberus package. Is that where I went wrong?

Don't want to look back over the thread to see if its already been posted. I have an phobia of spoilers.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hey lads, can anyone tell me about the hacking minigame please. The one where you have to match lines of code scrolling down a screen. I bought a hacking tool to give you double the time but the last 2 hacks I tried, 1 i matched about 7 lines in a row and ran out of time, the other i ran out of time really quick. Is there someway to activate the hacking tool or am I just trying harder hacks (would a tech class have a handier time doing it?)

Also, whats the deal with ammo upgrade? When you activate one from the power wheel, it seems to last ages across multiple fights. I thought it was like a regular power that wouldn't last long?

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    Hey, how do I access the back story on ps3? I started a new game before downloading the cerberus package. Is that where I went wrong?

Don't want to look back over the thread to see if its already been posted. I have an phobia of spoilers.:p

Yupp, you have to download the cerburus pack first and then start the game. Comic will kick in in about 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Hey lads, can anyone tell me about the hacking minigame please. The one where you have to match lines of code scrolling down a screen. I bought a hacking tool to give you double the time but the last 2 hacks I tried, 1 i matched about 7 lines in a row and ran out of time, the other i ran out of time really quick. Is there someway to activate the hacking tool or am I just trying harder hacks (would a tech class have a handier time doing it?)

Also, whats the deal with ammo upgrade? When you activate one from the power wheel, it seems to last ages across multiple fights. I thought it was like a regular power that wouldn't last long?
    1. On hacking, I played on PC so I'm not sure how the 360/PS3 handles that. I'll let someone else shout out.
    2. Ammo "powers" like warp ammo, shredder ammo and inferno ammo last for the entire combat level once activated. So anytime you're going into combat turn it on and let fly :D

• Advertisement

KerranJast wrote: »
    1. On hacking, I played on PC so I'm not sure how the 360/PS3 handles that. I'll let someone else shout out.
    2. Ammo "powers" like warp ammo, shredder ammo and inferno ammo last for the entire combat level once activated. So anytime you're going into combat turn it on and let fly :D

Thank you sir! Noticed I would start new fights (on the same level and still setting people on fire with the ammo. Still havn't used the charge ability, kinda afriad to launch myself into a bunch of enemies haha

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Well the ammo powers last the entire mission or until you use a different ammo. Im not sure what you mean with the hacking. You just need to match a segment with the one thats on the top 3 times while avoiding the red sections.

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    Well the ammo powers last the entire mission or until you use a different ammo. Im not sure what you mean with the hacking. You just need to match a segment with the one thats on the top 3 times while avoiding the red sections.

Ya 1st time that appeared, i skipped instructions by accident, checked a vid on youtube how to do it haha and it was fine but the next 2 i did, I failed and locked them out but don't understand why. 1 I kept matching the right ones but game wouldn't end and then time ran out and the second time ran out really fast, had only matched one.

The harder hacks have very similar codes. Your probably very slightly off when choosing.

Its disgracefull that these crashes are happening. The developers must know that these problems are there before they release the game. I played it a good bit over the weekend and didnt have any problems, havent played it since sunday night and I dont think ill be going near it untill they patch it. If my saved data got corrupted Id acually never play it again.

Just a note to PS3 players.... from reading the official forums.

It seems that the vast majority of players this has happened too have been over the 20hour mark of game-play.

I myself hit 22 hours, there was seldom someone posting under 20 hours.

So I'd advise anyone who still has a playable save to leave it until its patched as if you lose it, which happens after just one crash on load screen you have no comeback but to start again.

• Advertisement

Thanks Kerran, didn't know there were varying difficulties in the hacking game, must be that so.

Gilberto, im on 4.5 hours so far so il keep playing for the time being but will be backing up my save file to usb after every game but ya, i'm on the official forums looking at updates as well. Happening to a huge amount of people!

Thanks Kerran, didn't know there were varying difficulties in the hacking game, must be that so.

Gilberto, im on 4.5 hours so far so il keep playing for the time being but will be backing up my save file to usb after every game but ya, i'm on the official forums looking at updates as well. Happening to a huge amount of people!

I don't think it matters if you back it up.
    I'm not 100% on that but that's what i taught i read on the official forums a small while back.
    It's worth a try anyway, could work.

Just make sure the further you get into it, the less you play it(in full not sessions) as your bit by bit setting yourself up for bigger fall.

I don't think it matters if you back it up.
    I'm not 100% on that but that's what i taught i read on the official forums a small while back.
    It's worth a try anyway, could work.

Just make sure the further you get into it, the less you play it(in full not sessions) as your bit by bit setting yourself up for bigger fall.

Ah balls anyway. I just hope that when the patch is released it will apply to current games and won't ask you to start a new game. What a disaster of a release. I pay full whack for the game and Ubi's advise to is to play an hour and then take your dog for a walk? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the update man.

Tbf ME2 is about the only game I wouldn't be pissed off to have to replay through :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Did you hit any red sections?, because if you hit a red 'X' section of code the punishment is the loss of one prior correct match I think (Not 100% certain as it didn't happen to me all that often, I'm an awesome hacker ;))

There are three slots at the top of the screen that fill up each time you get a correct match so you can track your progress.

KerranJast wrote: »
    Tbf ME2 is about the only game I wouldn't be pissed off to have to replay through :D

There's a diff' between replaying through, and having to replay to just get back to where you were.

I get your sentiments but losing 20+ hours and having to restart again(and having to wait till they patch it) is a major pain.

Also ruins any enjoyment you'd get from a second play through further down the line as you'll just remember it all too well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Sympathies. To lose 20+ hours is a real kick in the stones, and no matter how good a game is I could see why anyone would be almost too disgusted to face to starting it all over again.

Thanks Marco, that sounds like it. Must be resetting on me when I click an X section. im off to look up youtube videos on hacking as I missed a lot skipping the tutorial on my first go!!

Good news everyone!!! Patch is done, Bioware are testing it out. Fast work boys!

Read below for the update!

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect/Mass-Effect-2-Playstation-3-Technical-Support/Mass-Effect-2-PS3-patch-notes-freezing-and-saved-game-issue-work-around-5845607-1.html
    Hello everyone

First, we are sorry some of you have had problems playing Mass Effect 2 on the Playstation 3 and want to thank you all for providing feedback on our forums on both the freezing and resulting save game issue that some of you have experienced. The information and support you have provided has helped the development team to build the latest patch. We’re currently testing the patch thoroughly, we expect to be finished our quality passes on Friday. This patch is then being delivered to Sony ASAP for verification and distribution. We will announce as soon the patch is available. Please see the below patch notes for a complete list of what will be included:

Patch Notes
    -Fixed a crash related to memory fragmentation. This fix will also resolve the crashing that corrupted Save Games.
    -Slightly improved load times and level streaming.
    -Added some telemetry to better improve future titles.
    -Updated some strings to fix spelling mistakes (Sorry Kaidan!)
    -Fixed the picture frame in Shepard’s Cabin to accurately reflect your love interest choices in Mass Effect: Genesis.
    -Fixed a rare crash in the PSN version in Shepard’s Cabin.

We want you to be able to continue playing while you wait for the patch. While data and telemetry have shown that very few people have seen this issue, we know a few of you here have experienced this problem. There is a very simple work around to ensure the freezing and corruption issues are minimized. Simply restart your game every few hours. By shutting down and restarting your game, you will not encounter the corrupted save issue.”

Once again, thank you for your feedback which has helped us get to a resolution. smile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Mining > Buggy.

EDIT: I must have been looking at an old page.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    Mining > Buggy.

EDIT: I must have been looking at an old page.

The following equasion is equally true:

Loading Screens > Really Slow Elevators

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Oh God, those elevators. I had blocked them from my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I hope Sony have the patch certified over the weekend. I'm not playing ME2 again until the patch goes live. No point in risking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Was gonna make another smug 'shoulda got it on pc' comment but feckin hell you guys really got a kick in the balls with this one.:eek:

I'd be pretty pissed off at losing half an hour of gameplay never mind 20+.

I'm always paranoid of losing saves or something happening, I literally quick save every 10 mins or so during missions, and then making a new save file every time I finish a mission and am about to start a new one.

Still have my ME1 saves from 2008 reckon I'll backup my me2 saves onto a key soon.

Continuing on with my shep is really important to me and I'd be very pissed to lose my saves before ME3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Grayditch wrote: »
    Oh God, those elevators. I had blocked them from my mind.

When you take the frequency of the loading screens during regular gameplay into account, its not so bad. Dragonage really got on my tits as every door opened required loading.

When you take the frequency of the loading screens during regular gameplay into account, its not so bad. Dragonage really got on my tits as every door opened required loading.
    Yeah I never really found them a problem on PC. They usually only lasted 20 or 30 seconds and they usually had a radio news bit relevant to what you were up to. It might have been worse on 360 though.

Sisko wrote: »
    I'm always paranoid of losing saves or something happening, I literally quick save every 10 mins or so during missions, and then making a new save file every time I finish a mission and am about to start a new one.

Still have my ME1 saves from 2008 reckon I'll backup my me2 saves onto a key soon.

Having additional saves didn't help. Once it crashed that whole player file corrupted. So whether you had 1 or 10 saves you were back to square one.

Additional player files are unaffected though.
    I started and played for just over an hour then realised the comic needed to be downloaded before you start. So i restarted with a new file, but that game from 1hour in still remained after the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Ordered my hoodie a week or so ago and it arrived today. 'tis awesome. I just finished ME2 on PS3 last night too. Had forgotten just how damn well done the last hour or so is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Which one you order? I started to look at the Dead Space clothes and then said STOP....the quality of them was pretty bad. But the Bioware/Mass Effect ones seem like they're pretty good quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Which one you order? I started to look at the Dead Space clothes and then said STOP....the quality of them was pretty bad. But the Bioware/Mass Effect ones seem like they're pretty good quality.

Went for the black N7 hoodie. Pretty good quality, the matterial itself is really nice and the print on the arm is pretty good quality too. Happy out. Tis one of the few games I'd order anything clothing related from. Loved the game and was looking for a way to give Bioware more of my money! :P

Advertisement