Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat limping - does he need to see vet?

• 24-12-2010 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Just noticed that my cat has a slight limp this morning. It looks like there's something in his front paw as he's avoiding walking on it. He was fine last night so my guess is that it's a pine needle from the Christmas tree. Is there anything I can do to try and get it out myself or should I visit the vet today. He doesn't appear to be in pain with it but I don't want to leave it as getting a vet over the weekend might be difficult.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Bring him to the vet.
    We've had this a couple of times with our little ones.
    Once, our little girl had a nail bed infection, so needed antibiotics and painkillers, and the other time, our male was limping and it turned out that he had been bitten by another cat and needed antibiotics and painkillers. Our vet said that when anything like this happens, 9/10 times it will need to be treated to avoid infection.
    Don't leave it- get it treated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

How tolerable is your cat? Will he let you touch his paw? I know if I tried that with my cat I'd lose an eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Lillylilly wrote: »
    Bring him to the vet.
    We've had this a couple of times with our little ones.
    Once, our little girl had a nail bed infection, so needed antibiotics and painkillers, and the other time, our male was limping and it turned out that he had been bitten by another cat and needed antibiotics and painkillers. Our vet said that when anything like this happens, 9/10 times it will need to be treated to avoid infection.
    Don't leave it- get it treated :)

+1
    the sooner you start antibiotics the cheaper the vet bill. My cat had a bite that turned into an abscess - best part of 200euro:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

I'd get your cat to the vet asap. We had a rescue cat for only a few months when she started limping badly on one paw. We thought it might be something as simple as a splinter but we took her to the vet straight away. It turned out that she had FIV/FELV and it was severely swollen glands that were causing the problem. She was treated with anti-inflamatories and antibiotics but unfortunately the disease was quite advanced and unfortunately, we lost her after a few months.
    Hopefully it will just be something simple and easily treatable with your cat but it just goes to show that it's always better to get them to a vet as quickly as possible - just in case.
    Fingers crossed but let us know how you get on.

Advertisement