Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting outdoor sockets?

Options
  • 24-12-2010 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks!

Electrician is due to fit two weatherproof sockets front and back of House.

How should this be done with regard to drilling through my external walls?

- My concern is for ingress of water or damp into the House/cavity and just want to make sure that best practice is followed as opposed to attacking the wall and running some cable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

Silicone sealant will be sufficient, in and around the hole that the cable is in and then top and sides of the socket but not the bottom just in case rain water manages to get behind the socket from dribbling down the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

usually if drilling from the inside, you would drill at a slight downward angle, and at an upward angle if drilling from the outside. this plus some silicone around the hole should do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

usually if drilling from the inside, you would drill at a slight downward angle, and at an upward angle if drilling from the outside. this plus some silicone around the hole should do the trick.

Exactly what i would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks all - sounds perfect...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Will the socket be sitting directly over the hole? If so, then the above is ok, but if the cables have to travel on the exterior for a length, make sure the cables are looped in a U shape once they come out of the wall. This will stop water running up the cable into the blockwork.

• Advertisement
Advertisement