Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need MPEG4?

• 24-12-2010 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi,
    I hope this is in correct section and my apologies if it's not.
    my TV is a 32" LG and is giving a few problems which would cost more to fix than a new set.
    I only use SKY tv.
    I was looking at tv's and the sales guy told me that I would need a tv with MPEG4.I don't know too much about tv's and I was hoping I could get an expert answer here.the MPEG4 tv is 150 euro more --thats a lot of money to me.
    Will I still be able to get sky tv in future with standard lcd or are they changing so that I will need MPEG4?
    I do not have a terrestrial Ariel.
    Thanks for taking time to read post and hopefully I can get an answer.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

You have to ask yourself the question - am I ever going to dump SKY? If the answer might be yes, then you are going to need either a Saorview certified TV to receive terrestrial channels and associated digital services (enhanced teletext and "red button" features) via an aerial or purchase a set-top box to connect to a TV.

If you are happy to stay with SKY and can't envisage switching to aerial reception and money is important, then you don't need MPEG-4 - just SCART and HDMI connections to connect to a standard definition or high definition box respectively. The SKY box (or other receiver) will handle the MPEG-4 decoding and supply the pictures and sound to any TV equipped with SCART or HDMI connection.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

We should applaud the guy who told you that MPEG4 would be needed. I think that the price difference would be less than €150, but there you go. A set top box would set you back less than that.

If you are short of cash why not cancel sky and go FTA.:)

I think there are going to be a lot of people who are going to be in the situation where a canny salesman on commission is going to try and push high-spec expensive TVs to people who don't and won't need them in the medium term.

On the other hand we have canny (unscrupulous) distributors and retailers dumping obsolete stock now on people who don't realise they are going to need to buy a set-top box in less than two years if they wish to continue to receive terrestrial TV.

It's also great opportunity for the canny (educated) purchaser to pick up a high quality display panel which is no longer in production if they have suitable HD sources - SKY, Freesat, FTA, Blu-ray or whatever and don't and won't need in-built tuner and MHEG services.

As they used to say on Hill St. Blues - "Let's be careful out there"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The price difference is hardly as much as a setbox except for very obsolete TVs being dumped on the market.

Over 20% of Sky users would cancel if they really understood the alternatives. Maybe less of UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

You don't need Mpeg4 if your going to continue to use SKY. What where the TV make and models you where looking at ? 150 Euro does seems a big difference but it may not be down to Mpeg4 being available rather the screen size, resolution etc.

You can get a decent 32 inch HD Ready Samsung with Mpeg4 for 350 Euro in Powercity. Personally I'd get Saorview compatible TV over a non-compatible one, better still I'd probably get the Sony KDL32V5810 with Freesat and also compatible with Saorview.

• Advertisement

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    You don't need Mpeg4 if your going to continue to use SKY. What where the TV make and models you where looking at ? 150 Euro does seems a big difference but it may not be down to Mpeg4 being available rather the screen size, resolution etc.

You can get a decent 32 inch HD Ready Samsung with Mpeg4 for 350 Euro in Powercity. Personally I'd get Saorview compatible TV over a non-compatible one, better still I'd probably get the Sony KDL32V5810 with Freesat and also compatible with Saorview.
    I fully agree with the recommendation for the Sony (have one myself), but they are seriously more expensive. The OP is on a budget and if that is the overriding factor, then he doesn't need an MPEG-4 set if he has SKY and is sticking with it. Pain in the ass, though, if he decides to ditch SKY and needs terrestrial digital, but each to his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

If you're on a budget you might be lucky and find a local LIDL that still have a 32" MPEG4 for €350. Its a real bargain. Further info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭oconnorw

where is the cheapest place to buy a
    Sony KDL32V5810
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭katana1

Thanks for all the info, your time is appreciated.
    At the moment I cannot (nor can any neighbours) get an RTE signal where we are (Trees and hills-I live in a valley).
    The non MPEG4 had a lower contrast ratio but had more scart and hdmi's.
    Toshiba 40 inch was 499 euro-no mpeg4.(2scarts 3HDMI)
    Philips 42 inch was 649 euro-with mpeg4(2Hdmi & 1 scart)
    AOC 42 inch 530 euro -no mpeg4-(4Hdmi 2 scart-Also not listed on sky site for remote)
    I am probably never moving from sky --doc's motor sports and all the channels for the kids.

The Philips had best contrast ratio 100000-1
    The rest were 50000-1.
    The contrast ratio isn't a big thing for me as price is more important.
    The above were all that were in stock that were anywhere near my budget (and it is tight).The reason I'm not going for another 32inch is mainly because of my (even with glasses) poor eyesight.
    This is a local shop and although I always try to give business to local shops I think I will have to start looking at the bigger stores .
    The posts were seriously helpful and really have opened my eyes.I also have friends who are also looking and are buying TVs with way more spec than they ever need(spending 1300+).
    Thanks again for all helpful replies.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Personally I'd get Saorview compatible TV over a non-compatible one

Not to really hijack the thread, but does "Saorview Compatible" just mean that the TV can handle MPEG-4?

Is every MPEG-4 TV "Saorview Compatible", or does that TV also need to support other protocols?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Not to really hijack the thread, but does "Saorview Compatible" just mean that the TV can handle MPEG-4?

Is every MPEG-4 TV "Saorview Compatible", or does that TV also need to support other protocols?
    Have a look at www.saorview.ie,or http://www.saortv.info/ where you will get the info from the horses mouth, as the saying goes.

Thanks again for great replies.
    I see that I would have no option but to stay with sky if I buy a non MPEG4 TV.
    If sky increase their prices much more it will be too much for me.
    I mentioned in my last post that friends of mine have bought TVs for big money,That said I rang a couple of them and I got a loan of an older old style 32" (Weighs a bloody tonne)while I save a bit more.
    I like to have the choices open to me for the future and it will take me about 3 weeks to have around 650-700 euro budget.
    Its great to get expert advice and I wish you all the best for the new year:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Some bargains to be had in the sales have a look here for ideas http://www.currys.ie/aspx/Homepage.aspx

Thanks zerks,as I said I try to support local shops but I had a look and the bottom line is currys are way cheaper .
    I am clearing out back of hatchback and wife and I are heading to currys tomorrow .Theres a big selection at great prices there.:D I am not going to be caught with extended warrenty this time though.
    Thanks for heads up on this:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

@ katana1 - Tesco's currenty have a very nice 40" Sony KDL-40BX400 for 449 Euro. It's compatible with Saorview too, a very nice spec on that TV including 70,000:1 contrast ratio.

@ oconnorw - Powercity are the only place I know of doing the Sony KDL32V5810, they have lots in stock too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

katana1 wrote: »
    Thanks zerks,as I said I try to support local shops but I had a look and the bottom line is currys are way cheaper .
    I am clearing out back of hatchback and wife and I are heading to currys tomorrow .Theres a big selection at great prices there.:D I am not going to be caught with extended warrenty this time though.
    Thanks for heads up on this:)

OP take a look at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1105 and see if they have anything you like. They deliver in a couple of days, do an optional extended warranty (to 5 yrs) for 10% extra (unlike some retailers where it could be 40% extra or more) and their prices are very good. Give John McDonald (their MD) a call or PM and see what he has before you wade into going to Currys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

optional extended warranty = Waste of money. It's an Insurance policy and the Sale of Goods is better coverage for 1st two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

All,

I picked up a 32" Sony Bravia MPEG4 in Powercity today for €319.95 which I reckon is a serious bargain. See http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32BX30&brands=SONY HughesDirect in the UK are currently selling them for £499.99 which is almost €580!! See http://www.hughesdirect.co.uk/offers2/vision/televisions/son-kdl32bx300u/product

PowerCity also have 32" Walker MPEG4 units for €279 which look pretty good - but not as good as the Sony IMHO!!

Have I missed something??

Ben

Hi All,
    I got a Philips 42 inch with 3 HDMI --scart MPEG4 and a usb port that allows me to play music /photos and Films from a memory stick.This has a 3 year warranty.Also it is full HD with the 1080p. Contrast is 100,000:1.
    I am very happy with this as I bought local .Got for 599 euro( after a lot of haggling) and have paid 500 euro and he trusted me to pay (which I will) the balance in new year as I am a regular customer for household and PC goods.
    Thanks for all your very useful info' and for taking the time to reply.
    Its you people that make this site so great.:)

Advertisement