Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How's your water?!

• 24-12-2010 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Has the cold weather affected your water supply?

I lost the mains water during the first freeze in November but got it sorted and all was hunky dorey.

Earlier on this week, the outlet pipe for the washing machine froze and this morning there's no water going to both of our toilets and the upstairs sink:( I've come to learn that washing machines use a massive amount of water, about 50 litres, and I have to babysit the machine while it's working because the 5 gallon drum is not big enough!

Thank f*ck I left the mains tap running overnight, or we'd be rightly screwed - woke up last Chrismas morning to find we had no water in the attic tank:mad:

Any problems with your water? 63 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 63 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Thank f*ck I left the mains tap running overnight, or we'd be rightly screwed - woke up last Chrismas morning to find we had no water in the attic tank:mad:

:mad:
    People like you are the reason I had my water turned off several nights last week
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

It's gone really really really cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I left it trickling, it wasn't free flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

It's like living in the third world. All we need now is some aids and a militia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Without water a few days here on Headford Road, Galway.
    Not the mains but the service pipes according to the radio.
    Below 11C in the shade outside, at least it's sunny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

My water supply is better than ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Nice and hot, plenty of it too. Think il have a bath....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

biko wrote: »
    Without water a few days here on Headford Road, Galway.
    Not the mains but the service pipes according to the radio.
    Below 11C in the shade outside, at least it's sunny.

Talking to a Polish engineer friend the other day.

He was telling me that clearing your driveway of snow may actually be contributing to people's main supply freezing as the frost tables previously adherd to are now too shallow to protect the pipes from the frost.

He recommended I leave the snow on my drive as it acts to insulate the main supply from the severe frost.. Dunno if its true, but I'm not taking the chance and have left the snow more or less alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Numb.Muzik

Hows your bun for a sausage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

It's wet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Nice and hot, plenty of it too. Think il have a bath....

same here, lashings of hot and cold water, Central heating on and the stove going too burning turf and coal........happy xmas.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No problems here, and no water charges next year as we're building a tank atm .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I left it trickling, it wasn't free flow.

You can get tablets for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Water from the tank stopped running last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Numb.Muzik wrote: »
    Hows your bun for a sausage?
    easyeason3 wrote: »
    It's wet.

Hehehehehe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

My supply is fine but the outpipe for my kitchen sink and dishwasher has frozen and it backed up and burst one of the joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Kiera wrote: »
    Hehehehehe :D

OHHHH MATRON !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

galwayrush wrote: »
    No problems here, and no water charges next year as we're building a tank atm .

And are you gonna run someone over with it if they try charge you? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Everyone's around us has frozen except ours so am expecting it to freeze soon.were supplying everyone at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Water .... what water? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What water? I'm in Laois and used to be on a group water scheme, never had an ounce of problems until the wonder county council took over the scheme a few years ago. The mains supply is now frozen and has been for nearly a week now. No sign of it returning, thankfully my neighbors have a well supply so looks like Christmas day will involve carting over buckets of water! Pile of Bollox this!:mad:

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Woke up this morning to no taps working and the tanks in the attic are empty.

Does this mean my pipes are frozen?

Anyone any ideas on what the hell to do?

smooch71 wrote: »
    Woke up this morning to no taps working and the tanks in the attic are empty.

Does this mean my pipes are frozen?

Anyone any ideas on what the hell to do?

Morning, looks like your mains is off or frozen! the most urgent thing you need to do is get water in your tank, particularly if you have a central heating system. I have had no water supply for a week and my plumber advised insuring the tank has water in it as it feeds directly into your cooper cylinder! You will have hot water supply but you need to get that tank filled somehow ASAP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I'm in Laois and mains water has been fine for sinks and toliets .We have major issues with feeds to central heating tank and mains tank in attic.
    Central heating one comes back for an hour or so each day as it is near the attic door.
    The main tank in attic has been frozen solid for a week now.

I got a good trick on a forum in the last freeze that works for me, this works if you have a hot and cold water supply for your washing machine and your cold supply is okay(as mine is). I simply link the two together using the washing machine connection and let it run for 15 mins, that 3/4 fills my water tank again-Only downside is that any hot water is now driven in to your water tank so you end up with a cold hotpress tank again! -Best to do before you start your heating going!

We have been using solid fuel for the last while and got a small amount of oil to have a warm christmas morning.I tried out the (outside) oil burner yesterday and ofc destroyed the boiler-a lovely 6 inch crack in it.
    Then the contents of the central heating system came out through the boiler and into the back garden.Closed up valves as best as I can but now sod all heat coming from radiators I should have just bought more coal instead!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's great, lovely cold water ready to drink. :)

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Morning, looks like your mains is off or frozen! the most urgent thing you need to do is get water in your tank, particularly if you have a central heating system. I have had no water supply for a week and my plumber advised insuring the tank has water in it as it feeds directly into your cooper cylinder! You will have hot water supply but you need to get that tank filled somehow ASAP!

Thanks for that.

I have 2 tanks in the attic, 1 of which I assume is the central heating and it's empty too. Should I not have the heating on?

JackieChan wrote: »
    I'm in Laois and mains water has been fine for sinks and toliets .We have major issues with feeds to central heating tank and mains tank in attic.
    Central heating one comes back for an hour or so each day as it is near the attic door.
    The main tank in attic has been frozen solid for a week now.

I'm in Laois also but have had no mains supply for nearly a week now, i suspect the supply is frozen. Thankfully i have been able to keep my tank filled via neighbors well. I actually have an inside oil boiler, made the decision when renovating my humble cottage. It works a treat but the downside was having to use my only chimney for the flu extraction. I now have a lovely stove waiting to be installed but had a mild heart attack at the cost of the stainless steel chimney i need to have installed, almost three times the cost of the stove, a well it will be worth it in the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

Water supply is ZERO, no showers,can't make tea....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

AFAIK if there is no water for your central heating turn it off as it can be dangerous if it is just air bring pumped into the pipes.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

I have 2 tanks in the attic, 1 of which I assume is the central heating and it's empty too. Should I not have the heating on?

Hmmm, 2 tanks? is one a smaller one? (this is the expansion tank and only fills when main tank over fills)

The advice from my excellent plumber is to insure you have water in your main tank particularly when using your central heating system, basically the copper cylinder is replenished by the main tank, if your heating system is on it will be heating the water in your copper cylinder, in addition if your using hot water the copper cylinder water quantities will diminish and if there is no water in your main tank to replenish, you run the risk of burning out the element in your copper cylinder! another expense you will want to avoid!

amacachi wrote: »
    It's great, lovely cold water ready to drink. :)

Can you send some down my way?:D

Hmmm, 2 tanks? is one a smaller one? (this is the expansion tank and only fills when main tank over fills)

The advice from my excellent plumber is to insure you have water in your main tank particularly when using your central heating system, basically the copper cylinder is replenished by the main tank, if your heating system is on it will be heating the water in your copper cylinder, in addition if your using hot water the copper cylinder water quantities will diminish and if there is no water in your main tank to replenish, you run the risk of burning out the element in your copper cylinder! another expense you will want to avoid!

Thanks again.

Now to find a hose that isn't frozen solid so I can fill my tank!

Thanks again.

Now to find a hose that isn't frozen solid so I can fill my tank!

Don't suppose any of your neighbors would have water? if the mains is down you probably wont have any water supply at your house?

I am fortunate as my neighbors have a well supply to their house, one of the joys of living in rural Ireland!

Great way to spend christmas Eve!

Happy christmas and good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its grand, i take a tablet for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Day 3 of no water - fecking Frisby Homes and their ****e quality.

• Advertisement

That's Wibbs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Kiera wrote: »
    That's Wibbs :D

pre beard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

hahahhahahaahhahaahhaha your plumber if he gave you that advise isnt excellent its some of the worst advice ever given , it shows he has no understanding of how a water system actually works , id be very careful if he plumbed my house , people do yourselves a favour and only take advice on the plumbing and heating forum my people who have established themselves as knowledgeable , this advice is utter tripe. and heres why

1. your main large storage tank is nothin to do with your heating, nothing whatsoever for sure thats a FACT!!
    2.yes the copper cylinder is replinished by the tank but when the tank runs out the water in the cylinder stays there as there is no force to push it out , so when you actually run out of hot water due to tank emptying , your cylinder is still full to the brim with water , that cant be used as there is no force to push it out.
    3. Because the hot cylinder will always have dead water in it in these situations you cannot burn anything out , the immersion has a temp stat to shut itself off, the heating just passes through a coil so cant be damaged.

Nice plumber you got yourself there !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

cazzzzz wrote: »
    Water supply is ZERO, no showers,can't make tea....:(

sorry to read of this. I'm just out of a hot shower and shave. Had a nice turkey wrap for lunch, lots of hot cuppa's, heating on, stove on.......and going out now to visit friends.....Merry Xmas.:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭D e e

'tis grand :)

• Advertisement

pre beard?

Yup :)

Anytime i see that typed i think of Wibbs. I know they look nothing alike but they do act very alike :P

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

theyve been turning mine off :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Just arrived home to find mine frozen, looks like a smelly Christmas for me. Though last time it have I also had no heating as my tank was low, at least I can keep warm this. I alway avoided the leaving a tap dipping in cold weather because of the waste, but fcuk it, next time I'm away for a few day I'm doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

No water still here in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

Let's just say, the toilet badly needs a flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

My water is ok, but it smells like white spirits....probably not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

He was telling me that clearing your driveway of snow may actually be contributing to people's main supply freezing as the frost tables previously adherd to are now too shallow to protect the pipes from the frost.

He recommended I leave the snow on my drive as it acts to insulate the main supply from the severe frost.. Dunno if its true, but I'm not taking the chance and have left the snow more or less alone.
    Actually that makes some sort of weird sense. Animals sometimes dig burrows in snow to shelter themselves.
    Unfortunately it's seems the whole area is the same as me. Spoke to a neighbour there and their water is gone too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Terrific reason to be lazy, I like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

No problems with my water supply, thank God, but my area got a 'boil water' notice a few days ago because the water supply might be contaminated. All water for drinking/brushing teeth must be boiled, and the local shops keep selling out of bottled water within 30 minutes of getting deliveries.

A bit of a pain in the arse, but at least we HAVE water to boil. Must be an even bigger pain in the hoop for those that have no running water at all......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

No water in our house since Monday. Been living here 12 years and it's the first time this has happened. Feckin pain in the hole.

• Advertisement
Advertisement