Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon late delivery.

Options
  • 24-12-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I up an order on Amazon.co.uk last week. When I went to the checkout it said something like "your order will arrive on or before the 24th December, despite the weather conditions". So today is the 24th and the post has been. The chances of me getting it today are slim, since An Post has been and gone all ready.

So what happens now? I am thinking Amazon are in breech of contract. They did not deliver the goods in the agreed time frame. What are my entitlements?
    Amazon are a UK biased company so I presume Irish law does not apply.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Postal delays are pretty much outside of their control, so I honestly don't see how they are in breach of anything.

Unless you have something in writing that guarantee's delivery for the 24th there's not much point in saying you believe the checkout said xyz.

Your aware they are in the UK, I take it you've also seen the weather reports for Ireland and the UK and your well aware of the snow and the likely delays this would cause with any sort of travel or deliverys

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭seniorolaighin

i remember being on amazon last week and it being pretty well advertised that delays are quite likely due to the weather - which makes sense considering........just hold out till after xmas id say. i have always found amazon really good but its just beyond their control. who's to say it could have been shipped and the problem is in the irish postal system? has it been shipped?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

padocon wrote: »
    Hello,
    I up an order on Amazon.co.uk last week. When I went to the checkout it said something like "your order will arrive on or before the 24th December, despite the weather conditions". So today is the 24th and the post has been. The chances of me getting it today are slim, since An Post has been and gone all ready.

So what happens now? I am thinking Amazon are in breech of contract. They did not deliver the goods in the agreed time frame. What are my entitlements?
    Amazon are a UK biased company so I presume Irish law does not apply.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Amazon.co.uk have has a banner on their site for the three weeks stating that there may be delays on orders due to the weather in the UK.

Also on every order page it is an estimated dispatch and delivery time that is given, and that it visible the whole way through their purchase sytem. Plus if you go into the section where you can check on your order, the delivery time is referred to as an estimated time.

So Amazon would not be in breach of their contract with you, as they have disclaimers about delays caused by weather and also have the delivery and dispatch times marked as being estimates before and after a purchase is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Print out the order form and give them that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jesus Christ, there is 2-4 feet of snow across Britian and total transport choas and you expect an order placed with a handful of working days before Christmas to be fullfilled?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You ordered a week before xmas during the worst weather we've ever seen and you're actually surprised by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I understand that the weather is out of their control but Amazon did guarantee that the I would have the order on or before the 24th. Why guarantee something if they can't for fill it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP your claim is meaningless without evidence,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Very little if anything can be 100% guaranteed or certain to happen, and deliveries in this sort of weather certainly cant. Can you not see that?

It does not matter what is guaranteed at checkout, anyone with common sense can see there could be extreme problems with the current weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I placed the order before the 16th which was the last order date to have delivery before the 24th.

Heres a quote of what it said: "Ordering for Christmas? To ensure deliver by December 24, choose free super saver delivery at the check out"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I placed the order before the 16th which was the last order date to have delivery before the 24th.

Heres a quote of what it said: "Ordering for Christmas? To ensure deliver by December 24, choose free super saver delivery at the check out"

And you think then that no matter what happens, this means it will make it on time?

You would not have some doubt when we have weather where airports are close, cars and trucks cant drive on roads properly etc, that this may affect the postage time? Until they have transporters like in star trek i dont think they can guarantee it 100%. And even in star trek something was regularly wrong with the transporters:)

They don't guarantee, they estimate!

The Kindle I ordered two weeks ago by expedited delivery hasn't arrived, they said if I called today I could get a refund or they would issue a replacement but I know it will get here eventually. The delivery company in this instance are crap but nonetheless, there's nothing I can do about it. They did however refund the extra money I paid for express delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

"your order will arrive on or before the 24th December, despite the weather conditions"
    "Ordering for Christmas? To ensure deliver by December 24, choose free super saver delivery at the check out"

You're quoting them twice, yet the second quote contradicts your first post which is vital in your complaint.

Just think yourself lucky they post this item to Ireland, There's been alot of airport closures in the UK and Ireland, Airmail is sent by plane, then there's the snow on the roads meaning delivery trucks and van will take a lot longer to make the journey if they can make it.

The fact they're a UK company chances are that delivery quote was for UK based customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭seniorolaighin

Ricky91t wrote: »
    You're quoting them twice, yet the second quote contradicts your first post which is vital in your complaint.

Just think yourself lucky they post this item to Ireland, There's been alot of airport closures in the UK and Ireland, Airmail is sent by plane, then there's the snow on the roads meaning delivery trucks and van will take a lot longer to make the journey if they can make it.

The fact they're a UK company chances are that delivery quote was for UK based customers.

yep i agree........its been a fun thread to read though........maybe we should start another thread estimating how long delivery will be!!! fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭soden12

Earlier this week I received an email from amazon telling me that my product was likely be delayed due ti the weather.

It arrived on time thanks to amazon, Royal Mail and An Post.

Advertisement