Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"God is always faithful to his promises, but he often surprises us "

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

TheZohan wrote: »
    I was simply replying to someone that stated that the pope had no choice regarding joining Hitler Youth, that is simply untrue.

Additionally I think you'll find that the OPs main problem is with the pope and not Christianity.

With the Nazi regime well and truly in place, and everyone looking over their shoulder, signing up would have been an easy choice to make, going with the flow instead of into an extermination camp. The propaganda machine was very efficient in converting the population to its way of thinking, and if they weren't converted, they kept their mouths shout so as not to draw attention to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

He often surprises us...

Haha, yeah, with buttsex from a priest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Jakkass wrote: »
    I don't know. The main quotes the OP have selected are generic Christian statements of belief.

1. The people of Israel were expecting their Messiah to arrive.
    2. Jesus according to Christians did bring liberation, liberation from the slavery to sin.
    3. By dying in our place, Jesus destroyed perpetual death on the cross. We might be saved and be re-united with God.

The vast majority of Christians could agree with these three statements.

On quoting these the OP states:
    "What planet is this deluded ****wit living on."

Can't we not enjoy Christmas without a given atheist going on an absolute bender about it? Title should have been "Pope gives generic Christian greeting on the BBC for Christmas".

Well that was my understanding of the OP, maybe I'm mistaken. Perhaps the poster will clarify it for us.

Absolutely you should enjoy it, best time of the year in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

dcmraad wrote: »
    The birth of Christ shows how God keeps his promises but often surprises us by how he fulfils them, Pope Benedict said.

He told listeners: “Our thoughts turn back to a moment in history when God’s chosen people, the children of Israel, were waiting in intense expectation. They were waiting for the Messiah that God had promised to send.”

“He did bring liberation, but not only for the people in that time and place,” said the Pope. Christ destroyed death forever “by means of his shameful death on the cross”, he added.

What planet is this deluded ****wit living on.

What type of moron will be sat in a building over the next couple of days listening to indoctrinated hyberbole from the ex nazi leader of the worlds biggest paedophile club.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1224/breaking6.html

I don't see anything objectionable in the content of the Popes message.

On the other hand, I find it sad that anyone should describe me as a moron because I may choose to listen to the message.
    Describing the Catholic Church - which is comprised of all it's members as "The worlds biggest paedophile club" is just so far from the truth, that it is nothing short of ridiculous........

I hope everyone has a happy, and peaceful Christmas.

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Was he a Nazi, yes he was, end of discussion.

No not the end. If that's the case then every German over a certain age is a Nazi today. But they aren't.

• Advertisement

It's hard to believe in a religion that practically openly supported pedophilia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

What's wrong with the substance of what he's actually said in this case though? (I'm not defending the Pope for being a member of Hitler Youth or for the child abuse crisis)

Yes, child abuse is abhorrent, but the OP seems to have a problem with claims which are central to the Christian faith. Not with the Pope per sé as an individual (He might have those as well). If anyone was quoted saying this, the OP would say it was stupid.

my main grief with his statement is that jebus didn't stop death forever with his "shameful death on the cross"!!!

such a joke!!

in other news there's no such thing as Santa or the easterbunny

Elevator wrote: »
    my main grief with his statement is that jebus didn't stop death forever with his "shameful death on the cross"!!!

such a joke!!

in other news there's no such thing as Santa or the easterbunny

I presume he did because this means people live forever in heaven and such, if you believe in such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Am I too late to make a 'surprise sex' Priest joke?

Am I too late to make a 'surprise sex' Priest joke?

No you still have time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

3 cheers for the reformers Hip Hip Hooray Hip Hip..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Ah,yet another bitter hate filled rant from the AH's anti-Catholics - it must be Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

What a novel and original idea for a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Nevore wrote: »
    He often surprises us...

Haha, yeah, with buttsex from a priest!

I lol'ed. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I'm getting sick of that Pope fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You wouldn't have heard any of this oul' guff outta John Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Bambi wrote: »
    You wouldn't have heard any of this oul' guff outta John Paul.

Yeah, I take it that he wasn't into all this Christianity lark after all? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

dsmythy wrote: »
    Whatever about the stuff he talks about, this bringing up of the Hitler Youth is annoying. He had no choice.
    See this is what I fcuking hate...there is ALWAYS a choice whether he liked it or not. He could join them or get shot, still a choice.

Should send this thread to Christianity forum for the lulz:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dcmraad

Christianity isn't the Pope's any more than it is mine, or that of any other Christian. Does the Pope have the right to speak on it, of course, just as much as the Archbishop of Canterbury, or Rick Warren have the right to speak on it.

Which branch of the 35,000 different sects of christianity do you support.

My problem is the quote
    The birth of Christ shows how God keeps his promises but often surprises us by how he fulfils them,

This is pure BS, what does it mean. I do not mean to be offensive to people, but how can someone who exists only in the minds of those who believe they exist, (without proof=faith) rationally understand this.

Jackass maybe you can explain this quote please, you seem to have an excellent knowledge, (are you a phil student perhaps?)

Read the very last quote again.
    Terry Sanderson, president of the National Secular Society, attacked the BBC for allowing the Pope to deliver the Thought for the Day.
    “The BBC is giving the Pope an unquestioned slot to continue whitewashing his Church’s disgraceful record on covering up child abuse by its priests,” he said.
    “Why isn’t the Pope being subjected to the same rigorous questioning that other heads of state would get?”

Why isn't the pope getting hauled before the international media the way wiki leaks is.

Mr Assange has the world after him after 2 possible sex cases, whats the popes current tally.
    What's wrong with the substance of what he's actually said in this case though? (I'm not defending the Pope for being a member of Hitler Youth or for the child abuse crisis)

There is no defence. He is a coward. He wrote the vatican doctrine on how to cover up abuse and murder.
    Yes, child abuse is abhorrent, but the OP seems to have a problem with claims which are central to the Christian faith. Not with the Pope per sé as an individual (He might have those as well). If anyone was quoted saying this, the OP would say it was stupid.

Can't we not enjoy Christmas without a given atheist going on an absolute bender about it? Title should have been "Pope gives generic Christian greeting on the BBC for Christmas".

Christmas has very little to do with religion. My issue is that the leader of a murderous, incestous, paedaphillic cult is allowed to air his BS views on national television, without the internal abuse scandals questioned.
    Noreen1 wrote: »
    I don't see anything objectionable in the content of the Popes message.

On the other hand, I find it sad that anyone should describe me as a moron because I may choose to listen to the message.
    Describing the Catholic Church - which is comprised of all it's members as "The worlds biggest paedophile club" is just so far from the truth, that it is nothing short of ridiculous........

I hope everyone has a happy, and peaceful Christmas.

Noreen

You do not consider the hundresd of thousands of abuse cases around the world as a form of truth.

Do me a favour, if you do go to one of them giant buildings, the ones the lads in rome conned you in building, look at the priest and imagine it was him with your 10 year old daughter, with a crucifix.

Then think of all the kids whose lives were ruined, because an organisation/cult were let breed in this country due to ignorant uneducated peasents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The birth of Christ shows how God keeps his promises but often surprises us by how he fulfils them, Pope Benedict said.

He told listeners: “Our thoughts turn back to a moment in history when God’s chosen people, the children of Israel, were waiting in intense expectation. They were waiting for the Messiah that God had promised to send.”

“He did bring liberation, but not only for the people in that time and place,” said the Pope. Christ destroyed death forever “by means of his shameful death on the cross”, he added.

What planet is this deluded ****wit living on.

What type of moron will be sat in a building over the next couple of days listening to indoctrinated hyberbole from the ex nazi leader of the worlds biggest paedophile club.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1224/breaking6.html

Terry Sanderson, president of the National Secular Society, attacked the BBC for allowing the Pope to deliver the Thought for the Day.
    “The BBC is giving the Pope an unquestioned slot to continue whitewashing his Church’s disgraceful record on covering up child abuse by its priests,” he said.
    “Why isn’t the Pope being subjected to the same rigorous questioning that other heads of state would get?”

http://www.meh.ro/original/2009_12/meh.ro1132.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'm Reformed for the most part. I support Jesus, and His word. I think Christmas is important because of Him, and I share that with the Pope even if I disagree with him on many other things.
    My problem is the quote

Jesus is Lord. He was a real person we have an abundance of evidence for this.
    This is pure BS, what does it mean. I do not mean to be offensive to people, but how can someone who exists only in the minds of those who believe they exist, (without proof=faith) rationally understand this.

Jesus did surprise many of the people of His age. Jesus was the Messiah and fit all the Messianic categories, except many of the Jews expected Him to be a warrior who would overthrow the Romans. Jesus was a different type of Saviour. A Saviour who would save mankind from the blight of sin.

I'm not surprised that many think the Gospel is BS though. Christians aren't always the best representatives.

If you're going to criticise the Pope, criticise the Pope. If you're going to criticise Jesus, do that too. Criticising Jesus != Criticising the Pope.
    Jackass maybe you can explain this quote please, you seem to have an excellent knowledge, (are you a phil student perhaps?)

I do study Philosophy, but I'm a Christian and I really believe in Jesus and all that took place in Bethlehem at that time.
    Read the very last quote again.

I'm not surprised that Terry Anderson from the National Secular Society is ticked off with the Pope.
    Why isn't the pope getting hauled before the international media the way wiki leaks is.

I'm not defending the Pope on this. I'm criticising the way you've dealt with what is normal Christian belief. The Pope and I share a lot of disagreements, I've expressed my own annoyance at the child abuse scandals.
    Mr Assange has the world after him after 2 possible sex cases, whats the popes current tally.

Again, I'm not on this thread to defend the Pope on child abuse.

I support Christianity as a whole. I'm a member of CofI. I have a lot of friends of many different denominations and I've learned a lot from all of them.
    Christmas has very little to do with religion. My issue is that the leader of a murderous, incestous, paedaphillic cult is allowed to air his BS views on national television, without the internal abuse scandals questioned.

Christmas has to do with Jesus Christ as I see it. What you quoted is the Pope talking about Jesus. Anyone could do this. The Archbishop of Canterbury, Nicky Gumbel, Rick Warren, Gene Robinson, any Christian would say the same thing for the most part about the amazing Christian narrative about Jesus' birth. It's simply one of the most spectacular things that happened on the face of the earth for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dcmraad

TheZohan wrote: »
    I have a problem with the pope, the catholic church do a lot of good and have the potential to do a lot more good, however I believe that Benedict should be removed and himself and anyone else that was responsible for the cover up etc. should be held accountable so that credibility can be restored to the organisation.

Great post, only problem is, EVERY priest, teacher, garda, politician that was serving in the last 30 years is guilty and should go too.

Advertisement