Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help spotting some birds.

• 24-12-2010 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

I have a tiny garden in Dublin, I'm trying to document all the birds that visit it. I know most of them are basic little guys but it was very hard to get any birds in at all due to the size of the garden and all the cats i have around. I planted 6 pyracantha berry trees when i moved in five years ago, and the activity around them was great during the first belt of snow but now I have a bully bird LOL chasing all others from blackbirds and smaller out of the garden. I've spotted 12 types so far with 5 or 6 that i have no names for, regular looking birds I just dont know there names, I have books but I'm still unsure.

I know these are basic birds but could someone help with the naming please, I have been badly wrong so far, I only found out that the grey wagtail had a yellow strip two days ago, but it was nice to see both types return to the garden, I'm doing my best to feed them but the berries are the most popular over and above the fatty bread and rasher rinds, seeds, fat balls, nuts and raisins.

I'm not even sure if this is the same type of bird or two or three types. The Grey guy has the back garden wrapped up at the moment.

thank you in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

First two birds are female blackbirds.
    Third bird appears to be a mistle thrush: note dark patch on upper breast and pale marking on wing. Couldn't rule out song thrush 100% though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hi Stoner,
    Are you doing the garden bird survey? Have a look at our thread on it.... lots of pics and chat there. Join in and let us know how you're getting on.

littlebug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

First two birds are female blackbirds.
    Third bird appears to be a mistle thrush: note dark patch on upper breast and pale marking on wing. Couldn't rule out song thrush 100% though.

thank you, I was fairly sure about the blackbirds, it was their changes in shape that had me confused from stubby and puffy to a much more slender look, plus they seemed to outnumber the males

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

littlebug wrote: »
    Hi Stoner,
    Are you doing the garden bird survey? Have a look at our thread on it.... lots of pics and chat there. Join in and let us know how you're getting on.

littlebug

Well I didn't know there was one here to be honest. I have a book where a guy in england has 22 types in his garden and recommended that readers to it as they may be surprised with the variety in their gardens.

I will have a read though looks like a very active thread.

Advertisement