Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Economics Tips*

• 24-12-2010 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

I am in 5th year and am starting to teach myself Economics (Higher Level) after Christmas. I'm looking for tips regarding where to start (Micro or Macro?) Where would be the best place to start so I could get a good grip on the course and wouldn't be too freaked out about the subject. If you've got any other advice regarding exam papers etc. feel free to post. Is it a hard subject?. I'm trying to get the course finished by the end of the summer. I'm going to do 5/6 hours a week during school terms and 7 hours a week during the summer. Would this be enough in order to get a good grip on the subject?. Thanks so much for any advice you will offer me!

Daithi (Picture Frame :D:D)

PS. What grade should I be aiming towards if I put in this time into the subject?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Economics is an easy subject tbh.

Micro then Macro, learn the stupid graphs

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

http://www.examvillage.com/search?type/classes/keyword/Nina%20Noble/new_search/1

Would appear to cover the whole course, happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Is it easy?. What graphs specifically are you talking about?. Do you know how many chapters in all there is to cover?.

I thought it was piss easy.

Demand and supply curves, backward bending supply curves, that type of rubbish. Economics is full of them.

Ok. Are they hard to understand?. Did you do your LC? What grade did you get do you mind me asking?. I'm thinking of just using Rapid Revision Economics.. Is that a good idea or should I think of using a textbook?..

• Advertisement

B2 higher level, without much study, get the text book, the less stress brushes over a lot, good for cramming, get the rapid revision one, is slightly better.

No they arent really, a lot of them kinda look the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I'm contemplating is as my 8th subject if I can't guarantee an A in maths or English, not leaving it up to chance. It seems extremely straightforward.

Dont rely on a high grade in english, it is very subjective, one person may love your essay, another hate it.

Yeah the reason i'm doing it is because I can't guarantee i'll get my A in English and French damn languages :L.. Which textbook is the best? Any other tips..

Em, there is one blue one, fairly thick, which you can get a workbook to go with, cant remember the name unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats it.

One last Question Musollini, how much of the exam paper is devoted to definitions?. And also is the maths aspect of economics hard to deal with?. I do Pass maths, did honour JC got a C. Currently getting about 84% in Pass..

Your maths will be grand. Formulas are in the log tables too. Just make sure you have a calculator. The short questions have a lot of definitions, but so do the long ones tbh, they are important, learn them off word for word, there aint too many, a lot are common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Maths is very minimal and very simple in economics, it's subbing in numbers into formula your given and basic addition and subtraction, easy to angle stuff for anyone. It's a very logic based subject and if you click with it it's very easy to make up answers and get around questions some times and get full marks. I started this year (6th) and been getting A's all the way along with no more than 3/4 hours study before the tests.

I recommend starting with demand curves, then supply, all the price efficiency of demand/supply/ demand and all them before getting into the other stuff as they are not only a possible question on the paper but also the basis for the Market structures and factors of production questions, which can be up to a third of your LC paper! Do factors before the market structures, use your exam papers wisely!! Going back over them you will see patterns and the types of quesions that are asked, and the marking schemes give you an example of the precision and length of your answers. A good grind every so often is always recommended to keep you on track and clear up any questions :)

If I did 6 hours study a week during the school term and 7 hours a week during the summer holidays when would I be finished the course by? And also what grade would I be looking at with that amount of study?.

No one can really say tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Yeah it's impossible to say how long and to what standard you'll know everything to. It varies a hell of a lot from person to person :) currently I have 3 hours of classes a week and maybe 1-2 hours study. But I find the subject easy so it could take a lot more Work! :)

Thanks! I'll give it a bash and see how I get on!!. After I finish sections i'll download exam questions off the internet and try them.. Just after looking at the Ordinary Level 2008 paper and it looks pretty easy!. Are the questions asked in tricky language on the exam paper?. Or is it like when you see a Question you immediately know what you have to do?. Would doing Higher Level Business & Geography help me in any way with the study of Economics?. How many chapters in all is there in Economics?.. If I spend 5/6 hours a week could I get the first 2 chapters done in about a week?

Advertisement